KHSAA statement on basketball fundraising for EKY flood

• Tigerpride94 changed the title to KHSAA statement on basketball fundraising for EKY flood

I just saw this on Twitter, and was wondering if anyone could provide more details. The way I interpreted the snippet of info: a basketball team was attempting to raise money for flood victims out of season, and the KHSAA has refused to grant a waiver citing a membership decision from a year ago.

What was the initial vote in reference to?

What was the scope of the proposed fundraiser?

What are you thoughts?

A copy and paste from the pdf:

PROPOSAL 2021-03 – AMEND BYLAW 9 TO REMOVE BASKETBALL PRE-SEASON RESTRICTIONS ON STUDENTS IN GRADE NINE AND ABOVE WHO HAVE ALREADY REPRESENTED A SCHOOL (FAILED, FINAL VOTE: 50 YES, 145 NO, 0 ABSTAIN, 9 PRESENT) Proposed by the KHSAA Board of Control as part of its annual review of the Bylaws of the Association as required by 702 KAR 7:065 Amend Bylaw 9 to remove the restrictions on basketball players who have previously both been in grade 9 and then subsequently entered a contest for a high school. Rationale: This bylaw and its restrictions date back decades. Originally, it was crafted as a joint effort with parks and recreation officials in an effort to preserve community participation spots in sports where the high school athletes were eliminating those opportunities for the general public. Since that time, with the advent and growth of nonschool basketball, member schools used the rule to protect against outside influences. In addition, this rule reduced while not eliminating, the conflicts within schools where athletes might be forced to choose between an in-season fall sport (i.e. football or soccer) and attendance at these types of events, not to mention injury risks associated with such participation. While there has been much discussion about the provisions and various suggestions from the Commissioner and staff, the Board has been hesitant to approve any proposed change for those reasons and others and did not feel the change was in the best interest of the Association. Recruiting has changed, but the data remains the same regarding the percentage of students who actually advance from high school to college. At its review during 2021-22, the Board felt it important to approve the submission of this proposal and determine the wishes of the schools. There is contemplation of extending these restrictions to other sports but it is worthy to note that the practical impact of the current rule is to isolate basketball with a rules different than any other team sport. It is also worthy to note the reasons for the bylaw in the first place, as stated in the current Bylaw and interpretations. Case BL-9-1- Why are there restrictions on basketball and football participants that prevent them from playing in outside competition during the school year, prior to the end of their competitive seasons? A restriction on nonschool athletic participation in these sports attempts to protect students who choose to participate on their school’s athletic teams from exploitation by those who seek to capitalize on their skill and/or reputation. In addition, the restriction: (1) Avoids inherent risks to participation in nonschool athletic programs that may have inadequate administrative oversight; (2) Discourages outside entities from pressuring student-athletes to miss classes while competing on nonschool teams or in nonschool events; (3) Equalizes competition by reducing any unfair advantage students who participate in nonschool athletics may have over those who do not participate in outside events, and (4) Reduces distractions from academic preparation and other school responsibilities. (5) A nonschool athletic participation restriction in these sports also provides some control over the trend towards year-round competitive sports seasons and operates to reduce, or even eliminate, conflicts which may arise due to: time conflicts of practices, games, playoffs, differing coaching philosophies of the school coaching staff and the nonschool coaching staff, and team loyalty. Impact: Regulatory

BYLAW 9. BASKETBALL/FOOTBALL CONTESTANT ON OTHER TEAMS, POSTSEASON AND ALL-STAR GAMES
Sec. 1) BASKETBALL
a) Restrictions from the First Day of Practice as defined in Bylaw 23 through the Last Postseason Contest
(1) No student who, after enrolling in grade nine (9) has subsequently been a contestant in basketball at that school at any level (grades 9-
12) and has eligibility remaining in basketball, may not participate in:
a. any manner on any nonschool sponsored team in basketball;
b. any all-star game in basketball;
c. any type of organized competition in basketball or variation of basketball unless it has been sanctioned by the Board of Control.
a) Restrictions from First Day of School through Day Before the First Day of Practice
(1) From the first day of school through the day before the first legal day of practice, no student, who after enrolling in grade nine (9) has
subsequently been a contestant in basketball at that school at any level (grades 9-12) and has eligibility remaining in basketball, may not
participate in:
a. any manner on any nonschool sponsored team in basketball;
b. any all-star game in basketball;
c. any type of organized competition in basketball or variation of basketball except competition that meets the camp restrictions as detailed
below in subsection (2);
d. sports-specific instruction by a member of a member school coaching staff or another individual with a direct connection to a member
school without the documented authorization of the student’s enrolled school principal or designated representative, or
e. any other event not sanctioned by the Board of Control.
(2) Permissible competition by males during this period shall include:
a. only those camps that are held on the campus of an NCAA or NAIA member institution or conducted by a single NCAA or NAIA member
institution within a 100-mile radius of the NCAA or NAIA member institution’s campus, when the only available coaches in attendance
for evaluation are the employed coaches of that institution; and
b. attendance at a one-day exposure event during the period beginning with the first date of the NCAA men’s recruiting period (contact
and evaluation periods) and through October 14 and only for events solely funded by the student and his family that cannot extend over
multiple days.
(3) Permissible competition by females during this period shall include:
a. permitted evaluations held at nonscholastic women’s basketball events during contact periods designated for permissible evaluation
by NCAA coaches.
b. attendance at a one-day exposure event during the period beginning with the first date of the NCAA women’s recruiting period (contact
and evaluation periods) and through October 14 and only for events solely funded by the student and her family that cannot extend over
multiple days.
b) Restrictions from First Day of School through the Last Scheduled Contest
(1) From the first day of school through the last scheduled contest played in basketball (including KHSAA-sanctioned postseason contests)
by the school, no student who, after enrolling in grade nine (9) has been a contestant in basketball at that school at any level (grades 9-
12) and has eligibility remaining in basketball, may participate in any manner on any nonschool sponsored team in basketball; in any allstar game in basketball; or any type of organized competition in basketball or variation of basketball unless it has been sanctioned by the
Board of Control.
b) c) Restrictions following the last postseason contest End of Season
(1) Following the team’s last scheduled game (including postseason), there are no restrictions on play in basketball for the student-athletes
except the applicable coaching restrictions as detailed in Bylaw 23.
(1) Following the team’s last scheduled game (including postseason), there are no restrictions on play in basketball for the student-athletes
except the published restrictions in Bylaw 23.
Sec. 2) FOOTBALL
a) Restrictions from the First Day of Practice as defined in Bylaw 23 through the Last Postseason Contest
(1) No student who, after enrolling in grade nine (9) has subsequently been a contestant in football at that school, at any level (grades 9-
12) and has eligibility remaining in football may participate in:
a. any manner on any nonschool sponsored team in football;
b. any all-star game in football; or
c. any type of organized competition in football or variation of football unless it has been sanctioned by the Board of Control.
a) Restrictions from First Day of Practice through Last Scheduled Contest
 (1) From the first day of practice with the school through the last scheduled contest played in football (including KHSAA-sanctioned
postseason contests) by the school, no student who, after enrolling in grade nine (9) has subsequently been a contestant in football at
that school, at any level (grades 9-12) and has eligibility remaining in football may participate in:
a. any manner on any nonschool sponsored team in football;
b. any all-star game in football; or
c. any type of organized competition in football or variation of football unless it has been sanctioned by the Board of Control.
b) Restrictions following the last postseason contest End of Season
(1) Following the team’s last scheduled game (including postseason), there are no restrictions on play in football for the student-athletes 

https://khsaa.org/annualmeeting/20212022/annualmeetingproposals.pdf

I am in the minority here obviously, but I support the KHSAA upholding ByLaw 9.  Schools last summer voted to keep ByLaw 9.  The schools voted  to prevent their basketball players from playing AAU during the school, as schools believed it’s basketball players would not play other sports like football, volleyball, baseball, and softball for the school and just play AAU basketball year round.

So, if the KHSAA allowed this waiver, how many other schools/players would jump on this opportunity?  You would have many more schools ask for a waiver to organize events like this.  You would have the KHSAA granting a waiver for a EKY Flood Relief Fundraiser, but what if other players wanted to another fundraiser for a different cause?  It would put the KHSAA in the position to say one fundraising cause is more important than another, unless you want them to grant a waiver for every request   Then a kid will look at that and say, the KHSAA granted these people waivers for ByLaw 9, what’s stopping me from playing AAU during school?

Fundraiser or not, you cannot fault the KHSAA for upholding a Bylaw that it’s member schools voted to keep.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This was brought before for a vote last year and the school voted it down. This is a archaic rule that needs to go and go quick. 

I cannot stand this rule but I also understand the KHSAA doing this. Tackett I think wanted this rule gone, but AD and Coaches voted it down. 

People in charge at these high schools need to get out a little more. Sorry for the rant. 

I am less worried about the fundraiser and more worried about the existence and continued voting towards bylaw 9.  The flooding in Eastern Ky is tragic and I support any group that is out there helping and willing to help in any way they can.  I really don't even have much of a problem with them putting their foot down and saying the game can't be played without repercussions.  Now, I think they should have let them play, but I am not salty over the fact that they didn't.  The bigger issue is Bylaw 9 itself.  Shutting down basketball so other sports have a chance at a couple hand full of players is offensive to the basketball players themselves.  Let's be honest the one's that are serious about basketball all year round are playing basketball all year round.  Why not allow some competitive leagues to form, use those leagues to train and recruit referees.  There are numerous positive aspects to having an organized fall league.  I am even sure you could find a way to sanction something and end up making profit and create a bit of a revenue stream of some kind.  I just hope the bad look of having to cancel this game provides enough traction for people to understand how bad and unnecessary Bylaw 9 is.

Not a fan of the Bylaw but it was voted on just last year.

I also can see why the KHSAA would not allow a waiver for this. We all know that this is a worthy cause and help is needed in that area.  But what about the next “good cause” and the one after that and the one after that? 

Following the rules is a good thing. If you don’t like the rules, find a way to change them.

• Like 2

Larry Vaught wrote a good summary of this.  Commissioner Tackett is not the bad guy here if you are looking for a bad guy, it is the member schools.  From the article:

“We have suggested schools relax the rule between the start of school and the first day of practice,” Tackett said. “That suggestion was overwhelmingly rejected by the schools last year. Some rules have waiver procedures but this rule is iron-clad. There was no opportunity for a waiver.”

“I love the heck out of the fact we have two kids in our state being looked at by our flagship university but do you have a rule just for them? Do you say Power 5 kids do not have to adhere to rules? That’s not a good idea. This (charity game) may have sounded like a good idea but there were obstacles that could not be overcome in three weeks.”

“I hope our schools might decide to change this rule. It will be voted on again in September. Maybe the decision will be different. But I cannot just wave a wand and just waive a state regulation.”

https://www.yoursportsedge.com/2022/08/22/julian-tackett-hopes-schools-will-vote-to-change-rule-that-prohibited-reed-sheppard-and-travis-perry-from-playing-in-charity-game/vaughts-views/larryvaught/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Larry Vaught wrote a good summary of this.  Commissioner Tackett is not the bad guy here if you are looking for a bad guy, it is the member schools.  From the article:

“We have suggested schools relax the rule between the start of school and the first day of practice,” Tackett said. “That suggestion was overwhelmingly rejected by the schools last year. Some rules have waiver procedures but this rule is iron-clad. There was no opportunity for a waiver.”

“I love the heck out of the fact we have two kids in our state being looked at by our flagship university but do you have a rule just for them? Do you say Power 5 kids do not have to adhere to rules? That’s not a good idea. This (charity game) may have sounded like a good idea but there were obstacles that could not be overcome in three weeks.”

“I hope our schools might decide to change this rule. It will be voted on again in September. Maybe the decision will be different. But I cannot just wave a wand and just waive a state regulation.”

https://www.yoursportsedge.com/2022/08/22/julian-tackett-hopes-schools-will-vote-to-change-rule-that-prohibited-reed-sheppard-and-travis-perry-from-playing-in-charity-game/vaughts-views/larryvaught/

The wording of the press release in the OP is petty, at best, and why Commissioner Tackett likely didn't pen it, someone on his team did.  They should have been better in that aspect, to be sure, the flooding and the resulting damage to thousands of lives isn't a pawn for them to flippantly use in this ongoing battle.  My two cents.