House Of The Dragon (Game of Thrones Spin-Off on HBO Max)

Set to premier on August 21. The show is a prequel to the original series, set 200 years prior and centered around the Targaryen house and the warring between house members that led to its eventual downfall. Source material is based from G.R.R. Martin's novel Fire & Blood, which he published in late 2018.

@GrizzlyAdams @sweet16 @sportsfan41 @swamprat @mcpapa @True blue (and gold) @rjs4470 @Pete W @MJAlltheWay24 @I gotta go to work @Runcible Owl @Lil Sebastian @JCVD @Jumpman4004 @PurplePride92 @barrel @Bluegrasscard @futurecoach

You all were in on the discussions of the first run of the Game of Thrones series....you all planning on tuning in for this one?

• Like 2

Yes I am. Just watched the new trailer for August 21. I would of preferred them explore more about the White Walkers and that time frame. I’m still excited to see how this goes. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, barrel said:

Yes I am. Just watched the new trailer for August 21. I would of preferred them explore more about the White Walkers and that time frame. I’m still excited to see how this goes. 

When they were wrapping up the initial run of Game of Thrones they announced that there were multiple spin-offs in the works involving G.R.R. Martin's world of Westeros.

1) The first spin-off was written about the time period 1000 years previous to the original series, and was supposed to be about the final years of the "Age of Heroes," which was essentially time period where the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros were fought for and settled by the Andals following the Invasion of the First Men, when the First Men and the Children Of The Forest had initially battled for control of Westeros. It was supposed to really delve into the establishment of the Seven Kingdoms, many of the major houses of Westeros, The North, the history of the Starks, and the true origin of the White Walkers. They even shot a pilot, starring Naomi Watts. The pilot was not picked up by HBO...my best guess is that THAT much of a plotline was just biting off too much to chew. 

2) The second officially announced spin-off was supposed to be a look into the history of the Targaryen family, and has developed into this series, "House Of The Dragon".

3) A third series was being pitched about about Ser Duncan the Tall and his young squire, Aegon V Targaryen, based on G.R.R. Martin's Tales of Dunk and Egg novellas. I believe that series is also unfinished, like the A Song of Ice and Fire series that GoT is based on. Ser Duncan the Tall ("Dunk") is a hedge knight - a night without a master - whose squire Aegon V ("Egg") eventually became King Aegon V Targaryen, who in turn named Ser Duncan head of his Kingsguard. Aegon V was Daenerys Targaryen's grandfather, great-grandfather of Jon Snow, and brother of Maester Aemon of the Night's Watch.

4) As of about a year ago, there was some word that came out about a prequel focusing on Corlys Velaryon, who is supposed to have been one of the greatest naval warriors in the history of Westeros. He was married to a Targaryen, and is the guy you see announcing himself at the 0:23 mark in the May 5th trailer for "House Of The Dragon". I'm not sure I really see a separate series getting greenlit for someone whose story takes place in the same timeline as one they're already making a series about...especially if his character is going to be featured in that series.

There has also been talk of spin-offs regarding Arya Stark's travels after the end of the GoT series, about Robert's Rebellion and Robert Baratheon's ascent to the Iron Throne, and about the district of Flea Bottom at King's Landing. Who knows how long HBO keeps up with the shows based on G.R.R. Martin's works, but if there's anything we've learned from the now 45 year old Star Wars universe, it's that there's bigtime money to be made off of the extended universe of a fantasy story.

• Like 1

I had heard of possibly spin-offs 1-3. I was really hoping for 1. I think you’re right that it might of been too much. It will be interesting if that pilot ever leaks though it will be too short to give anyone a real feel. 

Sadly I think we’ll never get that information from what that series was going to be. I just personally find the north and that part of the lore more interesting. There is from what I hear some bits and pieces in the books. 

The original GoT pilot had to be reshot and I believe some roles recast. I’ve never read the books but they did a pretty amazing job casting the show. 

3 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

@GrizzlyAdams @sweet16 @sportsfan41 @swamprat @mcpapa @True blue (and gold) @rjs4470 @Pete W @MJAlltheWay24 @I gotta go to work @Runcible Owl @Lil Sebastian @JCVD @Jumpman4004 @PurplePride92 @barrel @Bluegrasscard @futurecoach

You all were in on the discussions of the first run of the Game of Thrones series....you all planning on tuning in for this one?

I’ll be watching. I’m not super excited about it for some reason, but it’s definitely on my radar.

59 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I’ll be watching. I’m not super excited about it for some reason, but it’s definitely on my radar.

That's kinda where I'm at.  I will definitely check it out but I'm not counting down the days til it's arrival. 

14 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Yes I definitely will be watching!!