House Of The Dragon (Game of Thrones Spin-Off on HBO Max)

I've had the show saving to DVR. My wife and I watched the first episode last night and I thought it was pretty good. Ha, I definitely appreciated not having to learn four thousand new family/house names starting the new series.

Did anyone else think the CGI - particularly the CGI for the dragons - looked kinda chintzy and poorly done?

A few thoughts as we head into week four of House of Dragons:

• I have thoroughly enjoyed House of Dragons so far. I was a skeptic that this would even remotely grab my attention. That said, I'm in 100% after E3. 
  • While I really appreciate the performances of Milly Alcock as Rhaenyra & Paddy Considine as Viserys, I think Matt Smith has clearly become the star of the show. He has been - and this shouldn't come as to much of a surprise - outstanding in his role as Prince Daemon.
  • I know last week's episode - E3 The Second of his Name - was a polarizing episode, but as someone who really loved Hardhome, The Battle of the Bastards, and Blackwater, I thought the ending that pitted Daemon vs. the Price Drahar was magnificent. Haven't had that "wow" feeling watching anything really since the Game of Thrones.
  • That last scene where he came walking out of the fog with the Crabfeeder's half torso and it ended with his face in the screen....so awesome. 
  • I know some have issue with the leaps of time that have occurred - especially in the last episode as we saw three years pass. Honestly, it didn't/doesn't bother me at all.
  • Overall, shockingly impressed with how well the showrunners have done creating a world and characters that have locked me in despite my initial skepticism.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 9:06 AM, PurplePride92 said:

Loving it so far and last night’s episode was great once again.  I need to watch it again before I can truly discuss it.  Twitter has already shown me stuff I missed.   

Episode #4 was fantastic.

This weeks was still good but I wasn't as hooked on it as others.  Really digging the series so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I loved season one. Matt Smith was phenomenal in every episode - jousting, iconic scenes at the Step Stones and the Crab Feeder, “Say it”, Viserys’ last walk to the throne, etc.

I’m also thoroughly impressed with the writing and acting for Aemond.

I’m reading that there will need to be at least three more seasons to properly tell the story. 

Has anyone read the book that this story is part of, “Fire and Blood”? It’s one of my favorites. HBO could create at least three other separate series based on the reigns of other interesting kings. 

• Like 1