Arians retires, effective immediately

11 hours ago, The Raven said:

Todd Bowles steps in as the Head Coach.  Wonder if this has Brady reconsidering his reconsideration?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33632978/bruce-arians-retiring-coach-tampa-bay-buccaneers-move-front-office-role

I would assume not since now that means Brady and Leftwhich now have complete control of the offense together. 

11 hours ago, The Raven said:

Todd Bowles steps in as the Head Coach.  Wonder if this has Brady reconsidering his reconsideration?

Heck no.  We'll never know, but this smacks of it being a condition for Brady to return.  I think he retired, hoping that the Bucs would quickly find a replacement for him, and then he'd be able to force their hand into trading him elsewhere (San Fran, Miami, etc.).  But, since they slow-played that, he was left with little choice.  The one thing he could still "demand" is a different head coach.

If Arians was going to voluntarily step down, he wouldn't have waited until now.  This was pushed on him.  The front office position is a way for him to save face.

11 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

If Arians was going to voluntarily step down, he wouldn't have waited until now.  This was pushed on him.  The front office position is a way for him to save face.

They made it seem like on the radio (ESPN 1530) this morning that Arians waited until now to force their hand more to give Todd Bowles the job.  But who knows what's true?

Just now, MJAlltheWay24 said:

They made it seem like on the radio (ESPN 1530) this morning that Arians waited until now to force their hand more to give Todd Bowles the job.  But who knows what's true

This is what I heard too, and given Arians' history on hiring supporting minority coaches, I can see that being exactly the case. 

7 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Heck no.  We'll never know, but this smacks of it being a condition for Brady to return.  I think he retired, hoping that the Bucs would quickly find a replacement for him, and then he'd be able to force their hand into trading him elsewhere (San Fran, Miami, etc.).  But, since they slow-played that, he was left with little choice.  The one thing he could still "demand" is a different head coach.

This is absolutely what happened. The Bucs called his bluff on the retirement thing, but "no Arians" was a condition of return.

4 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Come on now... not everything has to have a conspiracy theory attached to it. lol

🙂 And to be clear, Arians isn't gone from the organization. I'm not even saying Brady wanted Arians ousted as head coach, by "no Arians" I mean some kind of a buffer between the two would need to exist which has been documented by many in the media. BA is his own dude and I think both sides got what they wanted out of the deal.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

They made it seem like on the radio (ESPN 1530) this morning that Arians waited until now to force their hand more to give Todd Bowles the job.  But who knows what's true?

I'm not going to say he didn't draw things out in order to ensure Bowles got the job, or that he didn't do it more willingly knowing that Bowles would be his replacement...but, I think it (leaving as head coach, itself) was forced by Brady.

I just don't think you go thru... 1) Brady's retirement, B) the beginning of free agency, 3) the combine, d) Brady's unretirement, 5) multiple pro-days, and f) the league meetings...JUST to get your guy the HC gig less than a month away from the draft.

Bowles getting the job may have been a by-product, but I don't believe it was the initial motivating factor.

7 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

I'm not going to say he didn't draw things out in order to ensure Bowles got the job, or that he didn't do it more willingly knowing that Bowles would be his replacement...but, I think it (leaving as head coach, itself) was forced by Brady.

I just don't think you go thru... 1) Brady's retirement, B) the beginning of free agency, 3) the combine, d) Brady's unretirement, 5) multiple pro-days, and f) the league meetings...JUST to get your guy the HC gig less than a month away from the draft.

Bowles getting the job may have been a by-product, but I don't believe it was the initial motivating factor.

But then you have the argument that if this is driven by Brady, it never drags out and he never retires. He Tom Brady, if he says he wants a coach moved they will be... I don't think it would take retirement. 

Also, if it was pushed solely by Brady I think he would have wanted his boy Leftwich to get the job. 

36 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Did @mcpapa get your login or does he now have control of BGP bullet point styles?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChickenWyngz said:

But then you have the argument that if this is driven by Brady, it never drags out and he never retires. He Tom Brady, if he says he wants a coach moved they will be... I don't think it would take retirement. 

You're skipping over the first part in my initial post.  Brady knew he still wanted to play, but retired in order to try to force a trade to another team.  I think it was initially...Brady wanting to play elsewhere, so he retired...Bucs called his bluff, by not signing any high profile replacement at QB...Brady realizes Tampa is not going to trade him, and capitulates into coming back, but has Arians "removed" as a condition.

Everything else done over the past 2-3 weeks has been dotting I's and crossing T's, and making the solution palatable (and to save face) for Arians.

10 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

Hahaha...no.  He's a master, I am but a mere mortal.  I'm sure he would've done something better (1, *, C, IV, e, and - ...maybe?).

You will go far, grasshopper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1