Playoff Overtime Rule

So now in a shootout game like the Chiefs and Bills the complaint will be that they both scored and then only Mahomes had a shot after that. 

Just play another period, shorten it to 10 minutes if you feel the need, and let the team with more points when the clock hits zero be the winner. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

If you win the coin toss, do you now choose defense instead of always taking the ball? I think you absolutely go on defense first now.

100% I do. And for me personally, if the team that has it first scores a td and kicks PAT, I go for two if I score a td after. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

If you win the coin toss, do you now choose defense instead of always taking the ball? I think you absolutely go on defense first now.

In my mind, THIS was/is the biggest fault of overtime.  Why in the world should the outcome of a game, regardless of the number of possessions guaranteed, play such a determining factor in who wins?

The best way to start OT, in my mind, is to pick it up exactly where it left off in regulation.  If Team A scores a tying FG as the clock expires, then they kick it off to Team B to start OT.  If they score with :45 seconds left in the 4th, and have already kicked off, and Team B has it 2nd and 8 from their own 27...then THAT'S where they start OT.

Overtime should not be a game amongst itself...it should be a continuation of the previous quarter...the same way the 2nd and 4th quarters already are.  It's honestly not that hard.

Play for an additional 10 minutes, max.  If it's still tied after that, then add another 10 minutes and continue playing.  In return, all regular season games end at regulation, tied or not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChickenWyngz said:

So now in a shootout game like the Chiefs and Bills the complaint will be that they both scored and then only Mahomes had a shot after that. 

Just play another period, shorten it to 10 minutes if you feel the need, and let the team with more points when the clock hits zero be the winner. 

I've always argued this, at least for post-season games.  There is always the risk of injury that has to be weighed, but if you want there to be fairness, this is the way to go.

5 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

4 hours ago, DragonFire said:

100% I do. And for me personally, if the team that has it first scores a td and kicks PAT, I go for two if I score a td after. 

There are a lot of angles to think through on whether to kick or receive first in the overtime.  If the team that goes first scores then the other team is going for it on 4th down every time.  I can see advantages and disadvantages both ways.