Hook and Ladder??

lcdawg4life

http://football.about.com/cs/football101/g/gl_hookandladde.htm

Definition: A pass play in which the receiver catches a pass facing toward the line of scrimmage, then laterals the ball to another offensive player who is racing toward the opponent's end zone.

Examples: The hook and ladder is considered a trick play by most coaches and is rarely used in the NFL.

I've always referred to it as the "hook and lateral" ...

What made the play so effective was that the receiver turned upfield and was running toward the middle of the field, further drawing the defense in before pitching it to a receiver heading to the outside.

Most of the time that I've seen the play run, the receiver pitches the ball immediately after catching it. The Boise State play was a variation I hadn't seen previously.

Meaning of "Hook and Ladder"

Although more literally a "hook and lateral", the play is often referred to as the "hook and ladder" play, a pun on the name of a particular kind of fire truck. The name also references the two half back routes most often utilized for the play, a buttonhook (straight turnaround catch) and a ladder (out and up sideline route). However, the name "hook and ladder" is also used to refer to other variations of the play.

On the January 2, 2007 broadcast of ESPN's Around the Horn, sportswriter Woody Paige claimed, perhaps facetiously, that the name "hook and ladder" originated with NYC Firemen Football Team in Hell's Kitchen, New York. This was in response to the other panelists ridiculing his use of "hook and ladder" rather than "hook and lateral." The next day, Jay Mariotti, claiming he had done research, claimed the phrase "hook and lateral" referred to coal mining in Pennsylvania in the 1930s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_and_lateral_play_(American_football)