Open Job: Mayfield

Bamafootball

5 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

I would like to announce that the new Head Football Coach at Mayfield is Joe Morris.  Morris was a ununanimous choice by the school board and he brings a very impressive resume.  Morris was also named as the new AD.  I think they made a good choice and the program should be in good hands.  🤣

So is it official?

On 3/28/2022 at 9:17 AM, Toothpick said:

I would like to announce that the new Head Football Coach at Mayfield is Joe Morris.  Morris was a ununanimous choice by the school board and he brings a very impressive resume.  Morris was also named as the new AD.  I think they made a good choice and the program should be in good hands.  🤣

Agreed.  Fantastic hire! I am really impressed with Mayfield for giving this retired old guy a shot!  I know he's been retired a while, but I know those awesome school videos will get him caught up in the school system quickly.  The big question, can he coach?  I'm excited to see what this guy can do!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/28/2022 at 9:23 AM, theguru said:

So is it official?

Whatever the hoops might be/have been.... they were/are always gonna jump them for Morris. 

Truth is most of the rumors about possible coaches are coming from people inside the program that (kind of) want to see some things change-- but they all know at the end of the day it is Morris job as long as he wants to be there and honestly he has earned that! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theguru said:

So this whole "90 day thing" is just a charade? 

I wouldn't call it that but yes that's what it is lol.  He has to stay retired for 90 days because that's what the teacher retirement system says he has to do in order to draw his full pension and then return to the school system as a coach, classified employee, or as a certified part-time employee.  I know plenty of teachers who retired for 90 days and then came back in some capacity at the school and were able to double dip.  I think its a pretty silly rule if you ask me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, theguru said:

So this whole "90 day thing" is just a charade? 

You may know the answer to this. If someone retires from a public employee job like law enforcement and then goes back to work in law enforcement, are there any rules about where and when that person can work?

4 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

You may know the answer to this. If someone retires from a public employee job like law enforcement and then goes back to work in law enforcement, are there any rules about where and when that person can work?

There were in the past and I assume there still are some rules but we all knew there was one thing you couldn't do, secretly plan to hire/rehire someone which is highly unethical at a minimum. 

3 hours ago, theguru said:

There were in the past and I assume there still are some rules but we all knew there was one thing you couldn't do, secretly plan to hire/rehire someone which is highly unethical at a minimum. 

It happens all the time in the private sector. People retire. Then they come back and do consulting work at the very same company they were working at. I see it on a regular basis.  Private companies like it because they don't have to pay benefits to the employee who is now an independent contractor.

15 hours ago, theguru said:

Here is another one that came to mind. I know someone who was older and the company he works decided it was time for him to retire. The employee had just just helped sell a big project that is going to take about a year and a 1/2 to implement. He and the company agreed that he will stay on with that company to get that project completed. At the same time he is starting his own consulting company doing the same thing that he did for the company and will be working at his own company while he is finishing this project. 

I don't think it is that big of a deal that Mayfield waited 90 days to see if they could get their coach to come back.

56 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Here is another one that came to mind. I know someone who was older and the company he works decided it was time for him to retire. The employee had just just helped sell a big project that is going to take about a year and a 1/2 to implement. He and the company agreed that he will stay on with that company to get that project completed. At the same time he is starting his own consulting company doing the same thing that he did for the company and will be working at his own company while he is finishing this project. 

I don't think it is that big of a deal that Mayfield waited 90 days to see if they could get their coach to come back.

Illegal? Yes.  An issue? No.  It happens in business every single day.  It happens on the housing market, it happens in fortune 500 companies, it happens in college and the NFL, and yes it happens in good ol' Western Kentucky. Every situation is different, but majority of jobs are filled before they are posted.  Someone who has worked there 20+ years with no issues getting a rehire should not be an issue.