Scott Satterfield

Tigerpride94

Word in the Ville today is AD Vince Tyra is meeting with Coach Satterfield today. Seems 50/50 whether he will be retained. Satterfield burned a lot of good will when flirted with South Carolina. Getting run out of Cardinal Stadium by Kentucky has turned the fan base against him and with the prospect of worse attendance next year so AD Tyra has a tough decision to make. I think Satterfield only survives if commits to making changes like getting rid of defensive coordinator and hiring a offensive coordinator. Stay tuned to this evolving situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are my thoughts...

I believe that the argument could be made to keep him. Year 1 he overachieved after inheriting a 2-10 team. Last year, COVID. This year, a bowl game. They lost three games by a total of about 8 points, and the team is extremely young. Malik Cunningham announced that he will be back, so you'll have virtually all starters back next season. 

On the flip side, a lot of the fan base is done with him. The South Carolina situation was the start of it, the mediocre results made it worse, and getting curb stomped by UK again pushed it over the edge. For a portion of the fan base, the UK game is really what has triggered the latest round of calling for his job. There is no back up plan for Cunningham, which is concerning. 

There is still a significant push for Jeff Brohm from a big portion of the fan base. I don't know that the results on the field would be any better, especially not initially, but no one would immediately boost the morale of the program like Brohm would. There have been rumblings that he would take the job this time around, since he's now been at Purdue for five years. 

If they keep Satterfield, I think they can expect attendance to be even worse next year. He will be in a no-win situation, because he doesn't win 9+ games (which is unlikely), everyone will be ready to fire him again. If the Admin thinks they may have to fire him after next year, I think they go ahead and pull the plug now, why wait a year? Having said that, if you aren't certain you can get Brohm, you don't fire Satterfield, IMO. There are way too many high profile jobs open this cycle to be competing for a new head coach. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Here are my thoughts...

I believe that the argument could be made to keep him. Year 1 he overachieved after inheriting a 2-10 team. Last year, COVID. This year, a bowl game. They lost three games by a total of about 8 points, and the team is extremely young. Malik Cunningham announced that he will be back, so you'll have virtually all starters back next season. 

On the flip side, a lot of the fan base is done with him. The South Carolina situation was the start of it, the mediocre results made it worse, and getting curb stomped by UK again pushed it over the edge. For a portion of the fan base, the UK game is really what has triggered the latest round of calling for his job. There is no back up plan for Cunningham, which is concerning. 

There is still a significant push for Jeff Brohm from a big portion of the fan base. I don't know that the results on the field would be any better, especially not initially, but no one would immediately boost the morale of the program like Brohm would. There have been rumblings that he would take the job this time around, since he's now been at Purdue for five years. 

If they keep Satterfield, I think they can expect attendance to be even worse next year. He will be in a no-win situation, because he doesn't win 9+ games (which is unlikely), everyone will be ready to fire him again. If the Admin thinks they may have to fire him after next year, I think they go ahead and pull the plug now, why wait a year? Having said that, if you aren't certain you can get Brohm, you don't fire Satterfield, IMO. There are way too many high profile jobs open this cycle to be competing for a new head coach. 

What I witnessed at UK game showed any coach after 3 years would have been better. 

First, I will preface this with saying I'm not a Louisville fan....but Scott Satterfield is a good coach.  I believe Louisville needs to keep him and let him continue what he started.  Often times schools are too quick to pull the trigger.  I understand millions of dollars are at stake and that's the main issue, but unless they think now is the time for someone like Jeff Brohm to jump ship and come home, they need to stick with Coach Satterfield.  I will say that maybe it's not Satterfield that needs to go, but rather Vince Tyra.  Louisville was humming along under Jurich and now all 3 major men's sports have taken a nose dive during Tyra's tenure.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

The UofL President was in on the meeting with Tyra and Satterfield, which is an overstep, IMO. She was the one who made the decision to suspend Chris Mack. 

Im wondering if Tyra wanted to fire Satterfield, she wouldn’t let him, and now the FSU news is leaked.