Gabby Petito/Brian Laundrie

ChickenWyngz

14 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

I may have missed it but the area where Laundries remains were found, why was it previously underwater and not now?  Storms?

I Googled that last night. His remains were located in the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park, which is part of the T. Mabry Carlton Reserve and Myakka River State Park. All of the recreational areas contain a web of rivers, streams and creeks, and all have significant portions of seasonal wetlands. I'd have to assume the area 'previously underwater' would have been one of those seasonal wetlands.

• Thanks 1

The whole story is weird.  I'm sure we will get some clarity when the FBI shares the contents of Laundries journal.  Which in turn lead to them declaring Petitos death a murder.  

I'm still curious as to whether or not Laundrie was involved in any other murders. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beechwoodfan said:

Sounds cruel, but I am glad he is gone.  Saves the taxpayers a lot of money.

I agree. I struggle in certain cases with this. A lot of times our taxes pay for the criminals lawyer, the prosecutors, court costs, all the appeals and then to feed, heat and clothe a criminal. 

The Daily Mail ran an article with this headline:

"At least NINE bodies have been discovered since September during the massive searches for Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie"

Wow, nine bodies.  If you are interested you can read about it here, at least one of them was nearly a carbon copy:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10112443/amp/At-NINE-bodies-discovered-manhunts-Gabby-Petito-Brian-Laundrie.html?

1 minute ago, theguru said:

"At least NINE bodies have been discovered since September during the massive searches for Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie"

Wow, nine bodies.  If you are interested you can read about it here, at least one of them was nearly a carbon copy:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10112443/amp/At-NINE-bodies-discovered-manhunts-Gabby-Petito-Brian-Laundrie.html?

Absolutely crazy! The first thing it makes me wonder is how many bodies are just out there waiting to be discovered and give families closure? How many have we passed in our travels/hobbies (hunting, fishing, etc)

I was night fishing the mighty Ohio once and had a mannequin float down on us. That got the blood pumping quite a bit and it was a relief once we saw what it was. It is one of my worst nightmares that I hope I never encounter while out and about doing the things I love.

4 hours ago, Beechwoodfan said:

Sounds cruel, but I am glad he is gone.  Saves the taxpayers a lot of money.

4 hours ago, ChickenWyngz said:

I agree. I struggle in certain cases with this. A lot of times our taxes pay for the criminals lawyer, the prosecutors, court costs, all the appeals and then to feed, heat and clothe a criminal. 

I am against the death penalty but I can't say I am shedding any tears here other than for the family of the victim.

2 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Absolutely crazy! The first thing it makes me wonder is how many bodies are just out there waiting to be discovered and give families closure? How many have we passed in our travels/hobbies (hunting, fishing, etc)

I was night fishing the mighty Ohio once and had a mannequin float down on us. That got the blood pumping quite a bit and it was a relief once we saw what it was. It is one of my worst nightmares that I hope I never encounter while out and about doing the things I love.

Yeah, how many children go missing each year and are never found again.  Talk about an epidemic. 

Just now, theguru said:

Yeah, how many children go missing each year and are never found again.  Talk about an epidemic. 

And THAT is what makes it my worst nightmare. I have actually avoided all of my usual activities on certain areas of the river since the Hutchinson boy was thrown in. It would shake me up to find an adult, it would likely ruin me forever to find a child. I can't imagine the first responders, etc, that work scenes involving children. Special and incredibly strong people. 

1 minute ago, ChickenWyngz said:

And THAT is what makes it my worst nightmare. I have actually avoided all of my usual activities on certain areas of the river since the Hutchinson boy was thrown in. It would shake me up to find an adult, it would likely ruin me forever to find a child. I can't imagine the first responders, etc, that work scenes involving children. Special and incredibly strong people. 

Yeah, I still have nightmares about some dead children/babies...

39 minutes ago, theguru said:

The bodies are out there, they just needed someone looking for them. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 11:58 AM, ChickenWyngz said:

I agree with that always makes me nervous knowing there might be a body float up on me while fishing the Ohio. It’s always in the back of my mind.

On 10/21/2021 at 6:36 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I Googled that last night. His remains were located in the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park, which is part of the T. Mabry Carlton Reserve and Myakka River State Park. All of the recreational areas contain a web of rivers, streams and creeks, and all have significant portions of seasonal wetlands. I'd have to assume the area 'previously underwater' would have been one of those seasonal wetlands.

I camped in Myakka River State Park a few times when I first got down here. It's not that far south of the TBA. We would always go in the mid-fall and late winter, due to the wetlands. The normal summertime rainfall pattern here keeps the wetlands flooded until early October. We've been a dry pattern since early to mid-September, so the wetlands have dried up some. 

North Port is on the south side of the reserve, north of the Port Charlotte/Ponta Gorda area. 

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what else comes out of this case as the investigation continues. I saw several instances where people from the appropriate professions to make comments were questioning how quickly the remains were confirmed as Laundrie's. Many talking about the process of obtaining dental records, analyzing them, etc. My thought on that was I'd imagine the FBI had their ducks in a row on that front. I'm sure there is a process to getting dental records, and I'm sure the FBI can get through that process quickly. 

I also saw that since the body was so "skelatized" that they may not ever be able to determine a cause of death unless it was something obvious like a gun shot to the head, etc, but even then they may never be able to truly prove he fired the weapon and took his own life. 

The most intriguing to me, still, whether it was under water or not, is the fact that the FBI and other agencies combed through that preserve using so many different methods and found little to nothing. Then his parents go in and his remains are found in no time. Did they know his whereabouts, etc?