September 11th: Twenty Years After

Colonels_Wear_Blue

As always, the BluegrassPreps Terms of Service still apply in this thread. Make sure you pay particular attention to the portion underlined from the no politics policy.

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

3 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

How often does it come to mind for you? What do you think about when it comes to mind?

What changes do you think about the most when it comes to a "post 9/11 world"?

How do you remember all of it year to year?

I think about 9/11 frequently through each year. I don’t know that I could put a number on it, but it’s common enough. 

I was a senior in high school when it happened, just about to turn 18. I think for a great many my age it represented a loss of innocence for a world view. The 90s were the first time in 45-55 years that the world didn’t have the specter of nuclear warfare hanging over them. I think we felt invincible, and that was shattered in an instant. Naturally, things have never been the same and I don’t think we’ve even gotten close to the way the world felt in that time. I feel there are many ways our world is better now - certainly more evolved in many viewpoints. But I think it has often felt like we are in a spiral and can’t pull up. 

To answer specifically what comes to mind when I think of post-9/11? War. Constant war. 

47 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

I think for a great many my age it represented a loss of innocence for a world view.

I can definitely relate to this. I was a sophomore, and it was the first time in my life I realized war was real. That may sound silly, but it was the truth. 

I think about 9/11 very often, and I’ll always watch when anything about it is on TV. 

• Like 1

Having lost a friend in the towers, I tend to think about it every time I talk to an old HS classmate.  The pain is only there for a second or 2 though.     Just talking about what a great guy Willie was tends to bring on only happy memories and 9/11 is quickly forgotten.     I also tend to think about other events that occurred on September 11ths.

1962 - Beatles hit the Abbey Road studio for the third time.  Record PS I Love You, Please Please Me, and Love Me Do

1985 - Pete Rose singles of Eric Show (RIP) of the Padres to break Ty Cobbs MLB all-time hit record.

There have been thousands of September 11ths.   I try not to let just the one ruin my day.

I think about it often. I was at work, and I remember looking after the first tower was hit trying to figure out what happened when suddenly the second tower was hit.  Completely shocked!  I remember thinking that this must be what it was like when Pearl Harbor was hit. So surreal.  Then I remember the unbelievable courage from everyday people who did selfless acts to help however they could.  How horrific, but good people responded without being asked.  A terrible tragedy met with great American compassion.

A month before it happened, I was on a family cruise to celebrate my in laws 60th anniversary.  It was a Mediterranean cruise and one of our stops was Turkey.  We had a wonderful  Muslim woman who was our guide. After 911, she contacted us apologizing for the attack and wanted us to know that most Muslims are loving peaceful people. Her words meant a lot. Honestly, has it not been for that trip, meeting her and seeing her kindness, i would probably have a whole bunch more hate inside me.  

Most people in this world are decent loving people.  It is a shame the radical groups of idiots get the notoriety.  Personally , I would love to see a month long ban on all news.  I think we would all be a lot better off.

• Like 1

I may well be in the minority, but I honestly don't think about it that much. I don't want to sound callous but it has been long enough that it has become a "past event." Part of that might be because I wasn't living through any transformative age when it happened, and maybe part of it is that I teach history now so I spend time discussing lots of events.

It would be interesting to hear from people who were 20~ when Pearl Harbor was bombed. For so many, their next five years were spent in war theatres all across the globe. I'm sure they continued to think about Pearl Harbor until they died. However, after 9/11 there was no draft and so unless you joined the military then it ultimately came and went.

2 minutes ago, Beechwoodfan said:

I can’t say that I think about it on a daily basis, but the effects of that day are always with me.

This is what I mean when I say I think about it often. Obviously at airports, going into a game and having to walk through a metal detector, things like that make me think of it.