BluegrassPreps Class 5A Football Rankings 8/30

TheDeuce

Class 5A

1. Frederick Douglass at 6A Lafayette 

2. Owensboro at 6A #6 Daviess County 

3. South Warren -- OPEN

4. Covington Catholic vs. 4A #5 Lexington Catholic 

5. Highlands vs. 6A Campbell County 

6. Southwestern vs. 6A Simon Kenton (9/4)

7. Pulaski County at 4A #8 Lincoln County

8. Bowling Green at 6A Pleasure Ridge Park

9. Woodford County vs. 6A Dunbar

10. Scott County -- OPEN

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

Wow no Cooper? Horrible rankings!

I wouldn't go that far, Cooper is at #11 and this week will make or break the Jags as far as the top ten is considered.

I do think Cooper should be 9 or 10 right now but it is close.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Velvet Jones said:

I agree after taking down the team that is still ranked 9th in 6A Cooper belongs in the rankings before Scott County.  

Maybe 5A is a stronger class top to bottom than 6A. Obviously the top of 6A is going to be better than everyone else but after the big 3 the teams in 5A and 6A don’t have much separation. 

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

Three wins last year for Cooper. One really good win overcomes that?

And I can't get the Beechwood scrimmage out of my mind either.

With that said, a good Cooper team will make for a very exciting 5A district.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Three wins last year for Cooper. One really good win overcomes that?

Using that reasoning, then Highlands has no business being in the top 10 much less top 5 if last year plays a factor into these rankings. Especially considering Cooper beat Highlands at Highlands last year 48 to 21. 

So that’s a pretty weak argument there. Can’t really pick and choose when to use last year results to try to justify rankings for this year. 

At the end of the day the rankings will work itself out as the season goes on. As I believe 5A is really strong.

• Like 5

@futurecoachI disagree.  You have to use last year as a start to the rankings.  Highlands wasn't in the top 10 but they beat the defending state champs who were ranked top 5.  Cooper was probably way down but has now climbed to number 11.  If THEY had beaten BG, you can guess they would be top 10.

10. No gambling, bookmaking or point spread comments are allowed in any of the high school forums. Figures of speech that use gambling terms may not be used in any of the high school forums. All gambling comments are permitted in the non-high school forums as long as they do not involve any high school sports, students, or student-athletes.

8 minutes ago, Brown said:

@futurecoachI disagree.  You have to use last year as a start to the rankings.  Highlands wasn't in the top 10 but they beat the defending state champs who were ranked top 5.  Cooper was probably way down but has now climbed to number 11.  If THEY had beaten BG, you can guess they would be top 10.

I’m pretty sure they had Highlands in the top 10 to start the year before even playing a game. So obviously last year wasn’t taken into consideration for them. So that once again is picking and choosing when to use last years rankings. 

Then this year I believe Bowling Green was ranked 4th in 5A when Highlands beat them. Dixie was ranked 6th in 6A when Cooper beat them. Respectively BG is now 8th in 5A and and Dixie is now 9th on 6A. So Cooper and Highlands had very similar wins this year in regards to the rankings. 

So it seems like for Highlands people ignore last year. While for Cooper as he said in the post I quoted using the 3 wins from last year against them. Even though one of those wins was a 48 to 21 win over Highlands. 

So as I said that is a very weak argument picking and choosing when to use last years results to justify rankings for this year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I’m pretty sure they had Highlands in the top 10 to start the year before even playing a game. So obviously last year wasn’t taken into consideration for them. So that once again is picking and choosing when to use last years rankings. 

Then this year I believe Bowling Green was ranked 4th in 5A when Highlands beat them. Dixie was ranked 6th in 6A when Cooper beat them. Respectively BG is now 8th in 5A and and Dixie is now 9th on 6A. So Cooper and Highlands had very similar wins this year in regards to the rankings. 

So it seems like for Highlands people ignore last year. While for Cooper as he said in the post I quoted using the 3 wins from last year against them. Even though one of those wins was a 48 to 21 win over Highlands. 

So as I said that is a very weak argument picking and choosing when to use last years results to justify rankings for this year. 

Where you start in the rankings is a factor as well. Did anyone think Cooper was a top 10 team entering this season? Or even top 15? I doubt anyone other than perhaps optimistic Cooper fans. Cooper was a 3 win team last year. Then Cooper got dominated in a scrimmage by Beechwood so why would anyone expect better than a sub .500 team?

Beating GRC in game one was nice but GRC was a 3 win team last year and was one of Cooper's 3 wins. That doesn't get anyone's attention.

Then Cooper beats Dixie in game 2. That does get attention because of high expectations for Dixie. Does that one win make the case for Cooper over Scott County? Or is it an anomaly like last year's win over Highlands?

The top 10 in 5A is strong. It takes more than one win of note for a program that has not had a winning season since 2016 to break into the top 10. 

Ryle this week is Cooper's opportunity to prove this year is different than the last 4 years.

• Like 2