BluegrassPreps Class 5A Football Rankings 8/30

TheDeuce

3 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

The top 10 in 5A is strong. It takes more than one win of note for a program that has not had a winning season since 2016 to break into the top 10. 

People always want the "sexy" team of the moment to be ranked, when often they shouldn't be. 

32 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Where you start in the rankings is a factor as well. Did anyone think Cooper was a top 10 team entering this season? Or even top 15? I doubt anyone other than perhaps optimistic Cooper fans. Cooper was a 3 win team last year. Then Cooper got dominated in a scrimmage by Beechwood so why would anyone expect better than a sub .500 team?

Beating GRC in game one was nice but GRC was a 3 win team last year and was one of Cooper's 3 wins. That doesn't get anyone's attention.

Then Cooper beats Dixie in game 2. That does get attention because of high expectations for Dixie. Does that one win make the case for Cooper over Scott County? Or is it an anomaly like last year's win over Highlands?

The top 10 in 5A is strong. It takes more than one win of note for a program that has not had a winning season since 2016 to break into the top 10. 

Ryle this week is Cooper's opportunity to prove this year is different than the last 4 years.

Once again you are picking and choosing though on when to use last years results. Highlands was ranked in top 10 to start this year without playing a single game. A Highlands team that lost at home 48 to 21 last year to that 3 win Cooper team last year. Yet last years results weren’t used against them. Which is my point, people seem to be picking and choosing when to use last years results to fit the argument. It shouldn’t be pick and choose when to use last years results based on the team. If it was going to be used against Cooper, then it shouldn’t be ignored in regards to Highlands. 

As I said the rankings will work itself out this year as it goes on. However, that is just a very weak argument for you to use last year for one team in Cooper, but ignore it for another. That is picking and choosing when to use last year. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

People always want the "sexy" team of the moment to be ranked, when often they shouldn't be. 

Agreed 5A is strong. His reasoning though is weak for why one team is not in. When that argument is picking and choosing when to use last years results for one team, but ignoring last year for another team. 

I think 1 of the top 3 will definitely win state this year. Here is my take on the usual contenders:

FD is about the same as last year. 

Owensboro looks like they may be better than last year. 

South Warren looks to be slightly better than last year. 

Cov Cath will be weaker than last year’s team. 

Highlands obviously looks better than last year. 

Bowling Green is obviously weaker than last year. 

Scott County is weaker than last year. 

My early prediction is South Warren wins state. What???? Way too early to predict that.  Of course that depends on injuries to key players and the whole Covid stuff. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Once again you are picking and choosing though on when to use last years results. Highlands was ranked in top 10 to start this year without playing a single game. A Highlands team that lost at home 48 to 21 last year to that 3 win Cooper team last year. Yet last years results weren’t used against them. Which is my point, people seem to be picking and choosing when to use last years results to fit the argument. It shouldn’t be pick and choose when to use last years results based on the team. If it was going to be used against Cooper, then it shouldn’t be ignored in regards to Highlands. 

As I said the rankings will work itself out this year as it goes on. However, that is just a very weak argument for you to use last year for one team in Cooper, but ignore it for another. That is picking and choosing when to use last year. 

I believe you may be the one who is picking and choosing selectively.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bluecolonels95 said:

I think 1 of the top 3 will definitely win state this year. Here is my take on the usual contenders:

FD is about the same as last year. 

Owensboro looks like they may be better than last year. 

South Warren looks to be slightly better than last year. 

Cov Cath will be weaker than last year’s team. 

Highlands obviously looks better than last year. 

Bowling Green is obviously weaker than last year. 

Scott County is weaker than last year. 

My early prediction is South Warren wins state. What???? Way too early to predict that.  Of course that depends on injuries to key players and the whole Covid stuff. 

I think we’ll end up being slightly better than last year, but would be very surprised if we won the whole thing. #4 is probably spot on. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

I think we’ll end up being slightly better than last year, but would be very surprised if we won the whole thing. #4 is probably spot on. 

I’m very interested in this weeks game against Lexington Catholic. It will determine a lot about this CCH team. I think it’s a toss up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I believe you may be the one who is picking and choosing selectively.

Am I? Or you simply choosing to ignore how your argument is very weak. When you use last year for one team, but not for another. 

As I said before the rankings will play itself out as the season goes on. The top 10 teams in there right now all have solid teams and good arguments to be top 10 teams. I’m just pointing out the point you brought up for why Cooper isn’t is not really a good reason and is weak, because it is picking and choosing when and who to use last years results against in regards to this year at this point. Using results from last year against Cooper, but ignore results from last year for say Highlands.  So I more disagreed with your reasoning than the rankings. Right now all the top 10 teams and Cooper all would have solid arguments. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I have Cooper #8 in my own rankings but I can see why other may not have them higher taking more of a wait and see approach. Cooper beats Ryle and no doubt they will be top 10. Ryle going to be tough to beat though.

Can definitely buy that. A good case could be made for all top 10 teams and Cooper. I just more disagreed with the reasoning of a person using last years results against Cooper, when last years results doesn’t seem to be used against other teams. 

The rankings will play itself out as the year goes on. Cooper and many others will have many chances to show they are or aren’t true top 10 teams as the season goes on. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Am I? Or you simply choosing to ignore how your argument is very weak. When you use last year for one team, but not for another. 

As I said before the rankings will play itself out as the season goes on. The top 10 teams in there right now all have solid teams and good arguments to be top 10 teams. I’m just pointing out the point you brought up for why Cooper isn’t is not really a good reason and is weak, because it is picking and choosing when and who to use last years results against in regards to this year at this point. Using results from last year against Cooper, but ignore results from last year for say Highlands.  So I more disagreed with your reasoning than the rankings. Right now all the top 10 teams and Cooper all would have solid arguments. 

Do you really want to go there? You take my one line quick comment and then act like that is the whole argument. If you want the whole case for Cooper and Highlands in the rankings, here you go.

Cooper was not good last year. Highlands was clearly better. One game does not make a season. Yes, Cooper beat Highlands last year. That was the one and only saving grace of their season. Cooper had three wins. They beat a 2 win team and a 3 win team in their other two wins. Beating Highlands was by far the highlight of a losing season. There was nothing that gave anyone an indication they would even be a .500 team coming into this season. Cooper's case using last year's results is weak. There was nothing coming into week one that would cause anyone to think Cooper could be a .500 team in 2021.

Conversely, Highlands finished the regular season 5-5. They had a nice win over Ryle, who beat Cooper by 3 TD's. They beat Boone County by a much wider margin than Cooper did. They beat Campbell County who only won two games but one of those Campbell County wins was over ... yes, Cooper. If we are comparing what Highlands did in 2020 versus Cooper, it looks like that Cooper win over Highlands was just a bad night for the Bluebirds. Then we get the coaching change with a proven winner coming in to coach Highlands. Highlands had a clearly better overall resume than Cooper and they had an improved outlook coming into 2021. The positive vibe with Coach Spire definitely had to come into play in the preseason rankings also. I can see why Highlands got into the top ten and Cooper probably was not even on anyone's radar.

If I were looking at all that, there is zero doubt in my mind that I rank Highlands well above Cooper coming into the season. That is what it looks like to me looking at all of last year for both teams plus the outlook and expectations for 2021. 

Then you get week one with the massive upset by Highlands over Bowling Green on the road - without their starting QB. That jumps the Birds up in the rankings and they follow that win with a win in week 2 over Simon Kenton. Meanwhile, Cooper beats a weak opponent in week one which does nothing to move the needle. Then they get a big win over Dixie. But, if I am looking at Cooper's history from last year, at this point I am wondering was that a bad night for Dixie like Highlands had a bad night against Cooper last year? I don't know. Maybe Cooper has improved that much. But I need to see more than that one win to start believing in Cooper. They need to show everyone something against Ryle this week to prove that Dixie win was not a one off like last year's win over Highlands was. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CCHFC said:

I agree -- but our offense hasn't fully cemented and our defense is extremely stingy as always. Who knows where we could end up at the end of the year. Couple of really important weeks coming up that will tell us a lot more about this team. 

17 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Do you really want to go there? You take my one line quick comment and then act like that is the whole argument. If you want the whole case for Cooper and Highlands in the rankings, here you go.

Cooper was not good last year. Highlands was clearly better. One game does not make a season. Yes, Cooper beat Highlands last year. That was the one and only saving grace of their season. Cooper had three wins. They beat a 2 win team and a 3 win team in their other two wins. Beating Highlands was by far the highlight of a losing season. There was nothing that gave anyone an indication they would even be a .500 team coming into this season. Cooper's case using last year's results is weak. There was nothing coming into week one that would cause anyone to think Cooper could be a .500 team in 2021.

Conversely, Highlands finished the regular season 5-5. They had a nice win over Ryle, who beat Cooper by 3 TD's. They beat Boone County by a much wider margin than Cooper did. They beat Campbell County who only won two games but one of those Campbell County wins was over ... yes, Cooper. If we are comparing what Highlands did in 2020 versus Cooper, it looks like that Cooper win over Highlands was just a bad night for the Bluebirds. Then we get the coaching change with a proven winner coming in to coach Highlands. Highlands had a clearly better overall resume than Cooper and they had an improved outlook coming into 2021. The positive vibe with Coach Spire definitely had to come into play in the preseason rankings also. I can see why Highlands got into the top ten and Cooper probably was not even on anyone's radar.

If I were looking at all that, there is zero doubt in my mind that I rank Highlands well above Cooper coming into the season. That is what it looks like to me looking at all of last year for both teams plus the outlook and expectations for 2021. 

Then you get week one with the massive upset by Highlands over Bowling Green on the road - without their starting QB. That jumps the Birds up in the rankings and they follow that win with a win in week 2 over Simon Kenton. Meanwhile, Cooper beats a weak opponent in week one which does nothing to move the needle. Then they get a big win over Dixie. But, if I am looking at Cooper's history from last year, at this point I am wondering was that a bad night for Dixie like Highlands had a bad night against Cooper last year? I don't know. Maybe Cooper has improved that much. But I need to see more than that one win to start believing in Cooper. They need to show everyone something against Ryle this week to prove that Dixie win was not a one off like last year's win over Highlands was. 

Arnold Schwarzenegge Motorcycle GIF - Arnold Schwarzenegge Motorcycle Gun GIFs

• Haha 3