Highlands vs. Simon Kenton Predictions/Updates

Who do you think will win this game?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/27/2021 at 11:00 PM

• theguru changed the title to Highlands vs. Simon Kenton Predictions/Updates

I think HHS will come into this game very confident and riding high but still hungry and wanting revenge. It wasn't that long ago that SK was embarrassing HHS; a memory that I don't think Coach Sphire and the older players will let the team forget. 

Some items I will be looking for/hoping this week:

- I would like to see Highlands have some more consistency moving the ball this week to create some sustained drives. HHS lived by the big play against BGHS; I think a lot of this had to do with BGHS defense being really, really good. If HHS O-Line can play the way they did last week against a very good BGHS front, I think this will take care of itself. 

- The defense being "sure" tacklers. The improvement in tackling from the Male scrimmage to the BGHS game was drastic. I hope to see that trend stick and improve even more.

- Keep forcing turnovers. SK put it on the turf a bunch in week 1. Get guys to the ball and good things happen. 

- Finally, I hope to see the same excitement and confidence I saw in the HHS players in week 1 in week 2. It has been a long time since I have seen HHS players having that much fun playing football. 

Go Birds! 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I think HHS will come into this game very confident and riding high but still hungry and wanting revenge. It wasn't that long ago that SK was embarrassing HHS; a memory that I don't think Coach Sphire and the older players will let the team forget. 

- I would like to see Highlands have some more consistency moving the ball this week to create some sustained drives. HHS lived by the big play against BGHS; I think a lot of this had to do with BGHS defense being really, really good. If HHS O-Line can play the way they did last week against a very good BGHS front, I think this will take care of itself. 

- The defense being "sure" tacklers. The improvement in tackling from the Male scrimmage to the BGHS game was drastic. I hope to see that trend stick and improve even more.

- Keep forcing turnovers. SK put it on the turf a bunch in week 1. Get guys to the ball and good things happen. 

- Finally, I hope to see the same excitement and confidence I saw in the HHS players in week 1 in week 2. It has been a long time since I have seen HHS players having that much fun playing football. 

Go Birds! 

Nice Post.

I would also like to see the Birds improve on all Special Teams.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Go Birds! 

I totally agree!  1st contain Chase SK QB with pressure.  Not sure about his supporting cast but he can play.  I always thought the birds defense could be special but it was nice to see the unit step up.  The d-line had kids flying to the ball.  I expect Dunn and LaFrange to be nasty and Robinson has always had a knack to make plays but welcome to the club Henry King and Isaac Surrey!  Nobody would doubt either ones athletic ability!  Man it was exiting to see them come to play!

On offense the line held their own as that was an area of strength with BG.  This week I would too like to see them sustain drives, establish some offense.  

Lastly I would remind them for the last 5 years Pioneers have taken it to the birds and was very boisterous about it.  I would like to see a thumping.  I will remind as will Sphire you are only as good as your last game.  Let’s continue body of work one game at a time.  What was exciting was the energy the fun and the all for one mentality!

If Highlands can contain Chase Crone and his ability to make huge plays with his arm and mainly his legs, the Birds will Cruise. Highlands likes to throw it around the Yard a little. You will need to cover Highlands from Sideline to Sideline and I'm not sure SK is built for that. After watching that game on Film from Sat, Highlands receivers can get open. Is that a combination of quickness or just the Offense they play in? Mind you that BG's Defense was the strength coming into 2021. They had some studs on D. Simon Kenton DB's will have to be very assignment ready and stay discipline to their responsibilities. Or it will be long night for the Pioneers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Do they have a special teams coach?  I was told they did, but then that person did not come back after dead period?  Is this true?

No clue. With the exception of the O and D coordinators and Scott Tuner, I am not sure who is coaching what. They could be running it by committee; I know that is how Coach Mueller did it. I would definitely feel comfortable with Mike Welch or Dave Bibb running them though if they chose to have 1 do them all. 

Not sure about Special teams.  I heard we had one but to my knowledge he is gone.  Dill seem to be gathering unit.  I know it was addressed by Coach.   As too was not enamored with units play.  We had a couple of boys added to unit this week do to injury.  What was nice is that he has identified up to 3 punters and Mason did a good job in Brennan’s absence.  Sphire will be on special teams play for sure.

8 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Do they have a special teams coach?  I was told they did, but then that person did not come back after dead period?  Is this true?

That is true.  Believe his last name was Thomas (perhaps from a school in Cincinnati).  My understanding is there isn't a specific special teams coach, but multiple coaches are working with different aspects (PAT, KO, KO return, punt, etc.)

11 hours ago, lincoln24 said:

That is true.  Believe his last name was Thomas (perhaps from a school in Cincinnati).  My understanding is there isn't a specific special teams coach, but multiple coaches are working with different aspects (PAT, KO, KO return, punt, etc.)

This is spot on. I'm hearing and know that Coach Sphire has delegated One coach to each Special Team. There isn't just One Guy for this. Highlands special teams will be a strength for the program once they get things in order. They work on special teams every day in practice. It might not show on the surface just yet but it will be a Game winner someday.

• Like 2