NCAA Rule Change Proposals

Tomcats1990

-Widen the lane? Nah. We're already seeing a lower emphasis on big men and increased three pointers in the game.  Why take that even further?

-Change the fouls to eliminate the 1 and 1? I could get on board with that, though I think that makes it much more difficult in comeback mode when you don't have the potential for a missed front end to eliminate their scoring chance. 

-Laptops and such - yeah, why not?

-Six foul rule - That seems needlessly complicated.  I don't see anything wrong with the five fouls as is.  And if they do think something is wrong with it, just go to six.

-Held ball to the defense? Big no.  They do that, they better get religious about calling fouls when players go for that, because that creates a huge change in risk/reward metrics.

-Timeout limitations - Sure? I do hate seeing so many timeouts called ad nauseum during the end, but I also would hate to see a situation where a team can't call a timeout to retain possession just because they happened to already have called two in the endgame. 

-Replay for potential shot-clock violations - I thought this was already a thing in the last two minutes.  I personally don't know that I want any more expansion of replay at this point, because they frankly suck at it.

-Eliminate the ten second backcourt rule - NO. Even though I don't normally see teams fail to advance across halfcourt, I'm not a fan of this, especially for what it does to endgame situations.  Give the defense a chance to win the ball by forcing that turnover in the backcourt, and if they don't, don't give the possessing team 94 feet to work with in playing keepaway.

-Permit use of instant replay on all basket interference/goaltending - Again, I just see that as something that will slow down the game and they really stink at replay as is.  Pass.

-Permit declining free throws - No way! Again, why make it so hard for a team to try to come back?

-Eliminate offensive goaltending after ball hits ring or flange - Does that mean the defense could still be called for it? This is another one that I think I prefer as is.

-Adjust the traveling rule.... - Does that mean they're acknowledging those things as currently illegal that they just choose to ignore? My father is very fond of saying something to the effect "when I was growing up, that was just a walk".    I honestly don't care about this one because it really feels pointless anyway.

-Eliminate the five second closely guarded rule - Again, when was the last time you even remember it being called in the first place? Putting that aside, do they really just love the idea of these guys dribbling out there forever to bleed the clock with no fear of losing possession?

All in all, a lot of idea ranging from bad to terrible.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

-Widen the lane? Nah. We're already seeing a lower emphasis on big men and increased three pointers in the game.  Why take that even further?

-Change the fouls to eliminate the 1 and 1? I could get on board with that, though I think that makes it much more difficult in comeback mode when you don't have the potential for a missed front end to eliminate their scoring chance. 

-Laptops and such - yeah, why not?

-Six foul rule - That seems needlessly complicated.  I don't see anything wrong with the five fouls as is.  And if they do think something is wrong with it, just go to six.

-Held ball to the defense? Big no.  They do that, they better get religious about calling fouls when players go for that, because that creates a huge change in risk/reward metrics.

-Timeout limitations - Sure? I do hate seeing so many timeouts called ad nauseum during the end, but I also would hate to see a situation where a team can't call a timeout to retain possession just because they happened to already have called two in the endgame. 

-Replay for potential shot-clock violations - I thought this was already a thing in the last two minutes.  I personally don't know that I want any more expansion of replay at this point, because they frankly suck at it.

-Eliminate the ten second backcourt rule - NO. Even though I don't normally see teams fail to advance across halfcourt, I'm not a fan of this, especially for what it does to endgame situations.  Give the defense a chance to win the ball by forcing that turnover in the backcourt, and if they don't, don't give the possessing team 94 feet to work with in playing keepaway.

-Permit use of instant replay on all basket interference/goaltending - Again, I just see that as something that will slow down the game and they really stink at replay as is.  Pass.

-Permit declining free throws - No way! Again, why make it so hard for a team to try to come back?

-Eliminate offensive goaltending after ball hits ring or flange - Does that mean the defense could still be called for it? This is another one that I think I prefer as is.

-Adjust the traveling rule.... - Does that mean they're acknowledging those things as currently illegal that they just choose to ignore? My father is very fond of saying something to the effect "when I was growing up, that was just a walk".    I honestly don't care about this one because it really feels pointless anyway.

-Eliminate the five second closely guarded rule - Again, when was the last time you even remember it being called in the first place? Putting that aside, do they really just love the idea of these guys dribbling out there forever to bleed the clock with no fear of losing possession?

All in all, a lot of idea ranging from bad to terrible.

I am in agreement with much of what you posted, but to provide my commentary:

For perspective I watch 10 times the amount of NBA to college where the level of play is vastly superior as are the athletes on the court.

RE: Lane widening. It can get clunky in the college game. I don't know if the players possess the skill level for it to matter much.

RE: Elimination of the 1 and 1. I much prefer how the NBA does it. It is not as much about the 1 and 1 a it is you can be at seven fouls in a matter of minutes. I want something that allows for a reset. Why can the women's game go to quarters but the men's game cannot? I don't get it.

RE: Use of technology. Seems like a no-brainer.

RE: Six foul rule. Just make it six fouls. Why are we legislating when the fouls can occur for players? It does need to be bumped up from five, imo. Right now the foul limit is equitable with the NBA game. Again, the NBA players are more skilled. Other idea is to keep it at 5, but over 5 the team is awarded 2 FTs and the ball.

RE: Held ball to defense. Heck no. Jump the ball up, please!

RE: Timeout limits. Again, this is an NBA rule (kind of) where teams can only carry a couple timeouts into the final minutes. They also allow for ball advancement which is a cool twist. I am fine with this.

RE: 10 second backcourt. Heck no. The game is slow enough already.

RE: Declining FTs. Why? So a team can keep lobbing it up to a 7 footer, get fouled, take it out until the time runs out?

RE: Goaltending. I am open to it if it goes for both offense and defense.

RE: Walk/travel. I don't understand what they are changing here?

RE: Five second closely guarding rule. I already thought that this was all but gone from the game? But yes, eliminate it.

• Like 1

- Widen the Lane: Yes, less congestion

- Reset team fouls: Just go to four quarters like every other organized basketball on the planet and do five fouls per quarter. 

- Tech on the sidelines: sure, but I'd almost guarantee there will be issues with this

- Changing foul rules: No need for six fouls, IMO. This proposal would make things unnecessarily complicated. 

- Held ball to defense: I don't see any way this doesn't become a cluster, bad idea. 

- Limiting timeouts: bad idea. 

- Shot clock review: if you're going to do it the last 2:00, do it the whole game. Shouldn't take that long. 

- Eliminate 10 seconds: big no. 

- Refusing FTs: another big no. 

- Eliminate offensive interference: I'd could be for it, but not sure that's fair if the defense can't do the same

- Five second rule: leave it alone

- Travelling: this is a joke already, don't mess with it. 

Not in favor of six fouls as that will just lead to referees calling more and I think that could slow the game down even further.

I would love to see the men's game adopt what the women have with four quarters and you go to the double bonus after 5 fouls.  It speeds up the game a lot.  The NIT did this like 4 years ago and I thought it was a great improvement for the game.

I’d like the see the 6 Foul rule especially being a KY fan and playing in the SEC where the Refs call it pretty tight most nights. I understand the logic of not wanting it changed but Basketball penalizes in most cases players trying to be aggressive. They are the only sport that does this.