UK 74 Santa Clara 60

h.s.sportsrbest

I agree. I have repeatedly held the position that the biggest thing that separates the offensive teams of the 90's and Tubby's teams has been the 4 position. The 90's teams had McCarty, Pope, Padgett that were all deadly threats at the TOK from the 4 spot. Defenses had to guard them which opened up the middle for drives from Walker, Mercer, Anderson, etc. as well as post play.

Now Woo, Thomas, Stevenson, etc, etc are not those threats and the defenses can lag off of them and clog the middle for drives as well as deny cuts to the middle of the floor and the movement that so many fans are desiring.

I know he does alot of goofy stuff, but if the only thing he can do is play European basketball and shoot from the outside, then turn him loose and at least get some sort of contribution from him before he graduates.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oldrambler, don't accuse me of being a "fair weather" or "bandwagon" fan. I have cheered for UK from the time I could walk and will continue until I am dead.

As far as "fair weather" or "bandwagon" fans go you have no room to talk with you're O$U buddies. How many came out after the 2002 season??

If I accused you of being a fair weather fan in error then I apologize. Just seemed odd to me that a UK basketball fan would be watching ther Poinsetta Bowl as opposed to the UK game. As far as your comments about OSU, it seems that you are doing the same thing that you accused me of. Just for the record, I did not jump on any bandwagon after 2002, I have been a fan of The Ohio State Buckeyes Football since the early 70's and have looked up and watched film archive on them from before that so that accusation is wrong. Also, it is your choice but that $ sign :rolleyes: is really getting "old hat" amoungst the OSU haters. Seem stop me like fans always like to take "pot shots" at the teams on top in any sport. I really take it as a compliment in a way.:D

If I accused you of being a fair weather fan in error then I apologize. Just seemed odd to me that a UK basketball fan would be watching ther Poinsetta Bowl as opposed to the UK game. As far as your comments about OSU, it seems that you are doing the same thing that you accused me of. Just for the record, I did not jump on any bandwagon after 2002, I have been a fan of The Ohio State Buckeyes Football since the early 70's and have looked up and watched film archive on them from before that so that accusation is wrong. Also, it is your choice but that $ sign :rolleyes: is really getting "old hat" amoungst the OSU haters. Seem stop me like fans always like to take "pot shots" at the teams on top in any sport. I really take it as a compliment in a way.:D

Go Gators:devil:

I know he does alot of goofy stuff, but if the only thing he can do is play European basketball and shoot from the outside, then turn him loose and at least get some sort of contribution from him before he graduates.

I wouldn't have a problem with that and think it could really open up the offense to have to guard the post at the perimeter.

On a sidenote: Isn't it nice to discuss UK basketball without people calling for Tubby to be fired for whatever reason and really discuss the team and basketball. As S3 loves to discuss baseball, I am that way with basketball.

I've heard over and over that he can face up and shoot. I've never actually seen Woo do it, but if he can I'm all for it. I'm not sure how much work he's put into that hook, but it's about the ugliest one ever.

I wouldn't have a problem with that and think it could really open up the offense to have to guard the post at the perimeter.

On a sidenote: Isn't it nice to discuss UK basketball without people calling for Tubby to be fired for whatever reason and really discuss the team and basketball. As S3 loves to discuss baseball, I am that way with basketball.

I'm not a huge fan of our current playing style and with our recruiting, but I'm trying to just accept what we have and figure out a way to win with the hand we've been dealt.

I don't mind the boring style, as long as we win. Its not the style I would choose, but Tubby seems to like it.

I do think that if we went BIG with Obrzut and Morris - we could run a 2-1-2 set and put Morris in the middle. He would be more isolated in the middle. If they doubled down on him, we could surround him with shooting threats so that he could kick it out for open looks. Morris is dominating in a one-on-one situation on the post this season. Seems like a win-win to me.

I've heard over and over that he can face up and shoot. I've never actually seen Woo do it, but if he can I'm all for it. I'm not sure how much work he's put into that hook, but it's about the ugliest one ever.

In the last 2-3 games, he has caught the ball in the 14-18' range fired it up and hit nothing but net several times. In fact, I don't remember him missing a jump shot. Now his post game is something that wouldn't work in the local church league but his jumper looks pretty good to me.

....:thumb: I love Baseball and enjoy any college sport also. I agree, on the discussion comment.

I've been critical on threads, of Brooks and Archer of their schemes, of the Reds not having starting pitching but its more of a concept, an observation rather than some diagnosing each pass, shot, rebound, turnover, etc....if a person watches a basketball game and gets caught in looking to find something negative, it will consume them and eventually lead to "negative criticism".

Excellent point on the cuts and speed of the game. UK can make some adjustments on spacing, kicking out off of dribble penetration and players rubbing off screens, which would lead to open shots, better production and efficiency. Laying the groundwork for the defense, appears to be Coach Smith's focus and that will improve also.

I agree with Wireman's comment about Obrzut, that he's playing better and he could provide a much needed lift, at both ends of the floor, if he can continue to give this kind of effort.

....:thumb: I love Baseball and enjoy any college sport also. I agree, on the discussion comment.

I've been critical on threads, of Brooks and Archer of their schemes, of the Reds not having starting pitching but its more of a concept, an observation rather than some diagnosing each pass, shot, rebound, turnover, etc....if a person watches a basketball game and gets caught in looking to find something negative, it will consume them and eventually lead to "negative criticism".

Excellent point on the cuts and speed of the game. UK can make some adjustments on spacing, kicking out off of dribble penetration and players rubbing off screens, which would lead to open shots, better production and efficiency. Laying the groundwork for the defense, appears to be Coach Smith's focus and that will improve also.

I agree with Wireman's comment about Obrzut, that he's playing better and he could provide a much needed lift, at both ends of the floor, if he can continue to give this kind of effort.

This is kind of a knock to the coaching staff, but I honestly believe that Obrzut, Thomas, Perry, and a few others are usually giving their best effort. I just think they have been asked to do things that they are not a) physically able to do (Obrzut playing the American low post game), b) comfortable with (Perry playing the 3), or c) talented enough to do (all three). Woo can shoot, so let him shoot and try to get some defense out of him. Thomas plays hard and is nothing more than a role player, so put him in a role and let him do his little things. Perry isn't quick enough to handle the ball and make good decisions with it, so stick him at the 4 and see what he can do.

This is kind of a knock to the coaching staff, but I honestly believe that Obrzut, Thomas, Perry, and a few others are usually giving their best effort. I just think they have been asked to do things that they are not a) physically able to do (Obrzut playing the American low post game), b) comfortable with (Perry playing the 3), or c) talented enough to do (all three). Woo can shoot, so let him shoot and try to get some defense out of him. Thomas plays hard and is nothing more than a role player, so put him in a role and let him do his little things. Perry isn't quick enough to handle the ball and make good decisions with it, so stick him at the 4 and see what he can do.
I agree with your assessments and don't think its a knock on the coaching staff, but more of putting these players in the positions, where they are needed height wise by the staff.

Obrzut could score 6-8pts a game, if he plays facing the basket, but his problem is on the defensive end to me, where he doesn't utilize his feet to play defense. Perry always seems to catch passes, into his body and is not ready to catch/shoot, which hurts him since his release is long and high. Cutting off screens, penetrating and pulling up for the 15' jumper or playing more on the baseline, would help his offensive game. Thomas, seems to understand the screens, in the paint passing but certainly doesn't get any offensive plays ran his way and rightfully so, since his confidence is not there.

I'm assuming sacrificing offensive production, for defensive schemes is a priority right now, with the though that more games will get everyone better on the offensive side. Setting more screens for Crawford, with him utilizing them correctly, having Jasper penetrate and Bradley playing under control, would help make UK more consistent. The playing time the Freshman are giving, is invaluable and will make them only better, as the season progresses.

Apology accepted. Just wanted you to know I wasn’t a fair weather fan.

In my comment I was making reference to a lot of OSU fans not you in particular. Sorry for making it look that way.

As far as the haters toward O$U they are everywhere. My hate or dislike maybe a better word was not because of the football program or the fact they are finally living up to their hype of many previous years. It is more based off personal experience with fans mostly those “fair weather “fans I mentioned earlier.

Back to UK basketball. Hopefully we can pull together and get better by the time SEC play rolls around.

This team dribbles way, way, way too much.

They need to make the extra pass instead of the extra dribble.

When they get rid of the ball and spread the court in transition they are fine, offensively. When they decide to slow it down and grind it out in the halfcourt set it's ugly. Very ugly.

Where have I seen that before....?

It's right on the tip of my fingers...just...can't...seem...to...remember...

I believe you've touched on the biggest problem with this UK team, that I've always felt but haven't discussed....some of these players, are going through the motions and seem to be trying to run the offense as intended correctly, rather than trying to score as a result of the offense.

Once Jasper gets more time and confidence, he can be utilized to break down with dribble penetration, than either dump to post, cutters or out to Crawford, Bradley, Porter or Meeks. His size, would also allow him to finish in the paint more, than Bradley.

Which touches on something I've always felt, but rarely discussed...it often seems UK players under Tubby are thinking too much instead of just playing. It takes away their aggressiveness and makes them seem a little unsure of themselves, which leads to them looking like they're just going through the motions, because that's basically what they're doing. It seems they are more concerned with "going through the motions of their offense" and being in the right spots, rather than being aggressive and trying to score.

I agree with your assessments and don't think its a knock on the coaching staff, but more of putting these players in the positions, where they are needed height wise by the staff.

Obrzut could score 6-8pts a game, if he plays facing the basket, but his problem is on the defensive end to me, where he doesn't utilize his feet to play defense. Perry always seems to catch passes, into his body and is not ready to catch/shoot, which hurts him since his release is long and high. Cutting off screens, penetrating and pulling up for the 15' jumper or playing more on the baseline, would help his offensive game. Thomas, seems to understand the screens, in the paint passing but certainly doesn't get any offensive plays ran his way and rightfully so, since his confidence is not there.

I'm assuming sacrificing offensive production, for defensive schemes is a priority right now, with the though that more games will get everyone better on the offensive side. Setting more screens for Crawford, with him utilizing them correctly, having Jasper penetrate and Bradley playing under control, would help make UK more consistent. The playing time the Freshman are giving, is invaluable and will make them only better, as the season progresses.

I don't recall that ever not being a priority with Tubby.