UK 74 Santa Clara 60

h.s.sportsrbest

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crawford and Perry have been misssing in action, one has to believe if Bobby will ever approach 50% of his '06 tournament self, Crawford on the other hand is starting to look like a bust.

If he could consistently get his feet square when he shoots, he would be deadly. His footwork leaves much to be desired. He is no Jeff Shepard, who could square in mid air.

Crawford and Perry have been misssing in action, one has to believe if Bobby will ever approach 50% of his '06 tournament self, Crawford on the other hand is starting to look like a bust.

Crawford has been missing in action since he came to UK. One of the most Over-rated players in UK history based on Pre-UK hype and current UK stats. I agree he is looking like a bust.

I have to admit I use to never miss UK games regardless who they were playing but here lately I just can't get into it. I don't think I am the only one who feels this way. It is Boring basketball!!!!!

Heck I watched the bowl game last night instead of the UK game. I mean when TCU v Northern ILL is more exciting something isn't right.

Heck I watched the bowl game last night instead of the UK game. I mean when TCU v Northern ILL is more exciting something isn't right.

It is painful to watch bad basketball, I did the same thing.

Sloppy passing, unforced turnovers, and just no flow on offense. Defensively, Santa Clara had who knows how many layups from breaking the press. UK is going to struggle mightily when they play a team that runs and can hit the 3 (ala UAB, Florida).

A win is a win, 74-60 and instead of over analyzing every detail, player and fault this team has, I'll just say they are 8-3 with a chance...chance, to win several in a row.

Gone are the days, where any team in college basketball wins by 20±, against teams, every night. Teams will play bad, out of sync and players will have good games, while others will struggle.

UK obviously needs a consistent go to player, their ball-handling is not the best and this is a team, that hasn't played together much. Let them get better and prepared for the SEC, then continue to improve for the NCAA tournament.

A win is a win, 74-60 and instead of over analyzing every detail, player and fault this team has, I'll just say they are 8-3 with a chance...chance, to win several in a row.

Gone are the days, where any team in college basketball wins by 20±, against teams, every night. Teams will play bad, out of sync and players will have good games, while others will struggle.

UK obviously needs a consistent go to player, their ball-handling is not the best and this is a team, that hasn't played together much. Let them get better and prepared for the SEC, then continue to improve for the NCAA tournament.

I concur and they don't need any starting pitching either.:D

Interesting that the main plays ran by UK is also ran by a good number of the top teams in the country. Duke and I believe Florida runs a similar post setting a pick at the tok for the point guard that KY runs.

I will say that from my observation, the UK players do not set the pick up or cut off the pick hard and correctly in getting to the spot where they can get a good shot off. In addition, too many times they just flat out miss wide open shots, that they need to knock down. You are not going to get a wide open shot every time down the floor and when you do, you have to convert.

That is the difference between good teams and great teams. Great teams make open shots. Good teams don't. Poor teams can't get the open shots.

I concur and they don't need any starting pitching either.:D

Interesting that the main plays ran by UK is also ran by a good number of the top teams in the country. Duke and I believe Florida runs a similar post setting a pick at the tok for the point guard that KY runs.

I will say that from my observation, the UK players do not set the pick up or cut off the pick hard and correctly in getting to the spot where they can get a good shot off. In addition, too many times they just flat out miss wide open shots, that they need to knock down. You are not going to get a wide open shot every time down the floor and when you do, you have to convert.

That is the difference between good teams and great teams. Great teams make open shots. Good teams don't. Poor teams can't get the open shots.

To hit open shots you need to recruit people who can SHOOT. UK doesn't have pure shooters anymore. They have athletes they have tried to mold into good shooters; some times that isn't going to work.

To hit open shots you need to recruit people who can SHOOT. UK doesn't have pure shooters anymore. They have athletes they have tried to mold into good shooters; some times that isn't going to work.

At the DI level, you either have to have athletes that can shoot or pure shooters who are going to have to rely on athletes to break the defense down and create defensive rotation that opens the floor for a pure shooter.

Thus, the design of the tok pick by post player. Ran correctly, (of which defenses, especially good defenses have become pretty good at defending but still is ran by a lot of good teams ran by good coaches) has the post player show or have to switch in which the guard gets past and the wings have to drop to help, opening up the shot for the wing.

You have a quick point guard who can get in the lane and it opens it up for the pure shooters.

Excelelnt post STRIKE, Im was going to post bsically the same thing on this game. The final point spread didn't suprise me much but I did think that it would be a case of U.K. blowing out to a 25+ pt. lead and then cruising with S.C. pulling closer. None the less, a win is a win. Imo it was a U.L. game hangover and maybe a "trap" game between U.L. and UMass and T. ford coming into Rupp on Friday. With the young players that are key to this Wildcat team they will only get better. Imo Morris looked pretty good and Santa Clara was better than I thought that they were.

At the DI level, you either have to have athletes that can shoot or pure shooters who are going to have to rely on athletes to break the defense down and create defensive rotation that opens the floor for a pure shooter.

Thus, the design of the tok pick by post player. Ran correctly, (of which defenses, especially good defenses have become pretty good at defending but still is ran by a lot of good teams ran by good coaches) has the post player show or have to switch in which the guard gets past and the wings have to drop to help, opening up the shot for the wing.

You have a quick point guard who can get in the lane and it opens it up for the pure shooters.

Good points and UK doesn't spot up well, to receive passes or be in the position, to catch and shoot.

I like more dribble penetration into the paint, then kick to the post or out to the wing with this team. If they dribble penetration is not contested, then take a 10' jump shot. They aren't falling right now and last night, Santa Clara did get after it in the paint.

Excelelnt post STRIKE, Im was going to post bsically the same thing on this game. The final point spread didn't suprise me much but I did think that it would be a case of U.K. blowing out to a 25+ pt. lead and then cruising with S.C. pulling closer. None the less, a win is a win. Imo it was a U.L. game hangover and maybe a "trap" game between U.L. and UMass and T. ford coming into Rupp on Friday. With the young players that are key to this Wildcat team they will only get better. Imo Morris looked pretty good and Santa Clara was better than I thought that they were.
Thanks....:thumb: I guessed 69-60 and everyone has to realize, this is the style of play UK has and is best at right now.

Teams try and run a system, which like you said is what SC did and they were affective. Understanding defensive assignments, switching and communicating on the baseline, better ball handling and prepared to catch/shoot, will improve as this team gets experience.

Good points and UK doesn't spot up well, to receive passes or be in the position, to catch and shoot.

I like more dribble penetration into the paint, then kick to the post or out to the wing with this team. If they dribble penetration is not contested, then take a 10' jump shot. They aren't falling right now and last night, Santa Clara did get after it in the paint.

And the offense where so many is complaining about too much dribbling is designed to do exactly what you talk about in the post.

If Morris doesn't set the pick, the post players can aggressively step out to the dribblers because Stevenson, Woo, Thomas have not shown themselves to be an offensive threat and aggressively showing on the pick can be done to stop the dribbler and prevent the penetration which in turns prevent the wings from sloughing off the shooters on the wing.

The whole thing works together to get open shots against good teams. And sometimes, the defense wins a possession.

And the offense where so many is complaining about too much dribbling is designed to do exactly what you talk about in the post.

If Morris doesn't set the pick, the post players can aggressively step out to the dribblers because Stevenson, Woo, Thomas have not shown themselves to be an offensive threat and aggressively showing on the pick can be done to stop the dribbler and prevent the penetration which in turns prevent the wings from sloughing off the shooters on the wing.

The whole thing works together to get open shots against good teams. And sometimes, the defense wins a possession.

Exactly and here is the thing, I think most people are saying and I've noticed myself, regarding too much dribbling. Out beyond the arc, it seem a lot of dribbling starts with the initial cross the court pass, to the wing and then the dribbling starts, looking to break down the defense....like they are supposed to.

The problem, is often once they break down the defense, they aren't looking for the other options, post, wing or cutter....but rather try these one hand floaters, which aren't falling right now.

If you break down the defense, with dribble penetration....either dump to the post, cutter, kick out to the wing or "shoot" the ball, not the floaters.

{quote}ladiesbballcoach At the DI level, you either have to have athletes that can shoot or pure shooters who are going to have to rely on athletes to break the defense down and create defensive rotation that opens the floor for a pure shooter.

You have a quick point guard who can get in the lane and it opens it up for the pure shooters. {quote}

I understand what you are saying and I agree. However not every quick point guard and not every "athlete" can shoot the ball. See the UK roster this year or the last 10 years. Patrick Sparks I wouldn't consider a great athlete but could shoot. Gearld Fitch I wouldn't consider an athlete yet he could shoot. I could go on

JJ Reddick etc....

Look at every good team they have had a couple pure shooters or what I call Pure basketball players.

Thanks....:thumb: I guessed 69-60 and everyone has to realize, this is the style of play UK has and is best at right now.

Teams try and run a system, which like you said is what SC did and they were affective. Understanding defensive assignments, switching and communicating on the baseline, better ball handling and prepared to catch/shoot, will improve as this team gets experience.

:thumb: :thumb: I agree on all points here.