Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
theguru

Former Channel 5 Sports Anchor Elise Jesse says the Bengals have a Toxic Culture

Recommended Posts

Considering Jesse's time in Cincinnati I would consider her a credible source on this topic.  She claims that behind the scenes players are not buying in and there is a toxic culture.

From the article:

She reports what is being created under the current regime at Paul Brown Stadium is far from a dream environment of trust and cohesion. Instead, sources tell AllBengals that it is the exact opposite and that behind the scenes the players are not buying in to Coach Taylor's vision.

She also states that several players were not happy with how both Andy Dalton and Carlos Dunlap were treated at the end of their Bengals' careers.

Additionally she says "there is a complete disconnect and lack of trust between multiple players and coaches in the building according to some affiliated with the team" and the lack of professionalism in locker room is so bad it is not even up to college locker room standards.

She also states that defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo and offensive line coach Jim Turner both use abusive language directed at the players and that Turner plays favorites. 

The article is a scathing indictment of the Cincinnati Bengals under Zac Taylor and if true can only mean Taylor's time in Cincinnati is not for long.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/zac-taylor-bengals-culture-problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If true, that is not the kind of news you want circulating around the league. Would be tough to get guys to come into that kind of environment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The organization is toxic from the top down.  When the number one goal is to make as much money as you can, the product will continue to be average.  No GM, no scouts, poor coaching equals 2 win seasons.  Taylor and company will be gone after this year, but not sure what coach in their right mind wants to work here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not saying whether or not Zac Taylor and this staff is worth a pound of salt, or not, but Elise Jesse isn't the person I'm going to jump on this bandwagon with.  She has, on numerous occasions, taken shots at Zac, and each time players have defended him, what he is doing internally, and doused the flame she tried to light.  Zac was WAY light on credentials when he was hired, and he has done zero on the field since to prove himself worthy, but I'm going to continue to disregard anything and everything coming out of the lap-top of Elise Jesse.

Also, I don't think there is any way Zac is gone at season's end.  I think you'll see a MAJOR staff shake-up, starting with the D-Coordinator (Lou Anarumo), but I think you'll see Zac back on the sidelines in the fall of 2021.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Double Deuce said:

I'm not saying whether or not Zac Taylor and this staff is worth a pound of salt, or not, but Elise Jesse isn't the person I'm going to jump on this bandwagon with.  She has, on numerous occasions, taken shots at Zac, and each time players have defended him, what he is doing internally, and doused the flame she tried to light.  Zac was WAY light on credentials when he was hired, and he has done zero on the field since to prove himself worthy, but I'm going to continue to disregard anything and everything coming out of the lap-top of Elise Jesse.

Also, I don't think there is any way Zac is gone at season's end.  I think you'll see a MAJOR staff shake-up, starting with the D-Coordinator (Lou Anarumo), but I think you'll see Zac back on the sidelines in the fall of 2021.

For the record everyone I definitely consider @The Double Deuce more credible than Elise Jesse, by a lot. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, theguru said:

For the record everyone I definitely consider @The Double Deuce more credible than Elise Jesse, by a lot. 

Saw the article, trying to decide if it’s credible or not!!

Would love to see Rex Ryan hired as D coordinator, just think they need somebody like that but I know it’ll never happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players on a 2 win team may not be happy?  Weird.  

Bad language?  From a d-coordinator?  Shocking.  Her husband worked for 10 years for Mick Cronin (who I like a lot), but now we draw the line at sensitive language.  

The article and the timing of it is a hit-piece, period.  She was tight with Marvin, she left town on TERRIBLE terms with the Bengals media relations staff, and now she is grinding her axe.  

And again, I'm not suggesting for one second that Zac Taylor can coach a puppy to the door to go potty, just that this article (and the timing of it) is a hit-piece.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The franchise is a joke, plain and simple.  In hindsight, Marvin Lewis was a miracle worker in getting them to to playoffs as much as he did.  His lack of coaching ability really showed once they got to the playoffs but getting them there was a feat in itself.  I don't believe she is grinding an axe at all, in fact, most of this is obvious.  The nail in the coffin that made this piece even more timely was Taylor's refusal to say that the team was deflated when Burrow went down.  We all know what a prize Burrow is to the team and the city.  You don't brush aside what he means to the team.  Years ago, Dick Vermiel was in tears when Trent Green went down with an injury but he instilled confidence in his team by saying that they were going to rally behind Kurt Warner.  Thats' how a real head coach faces adversity.  

Zac is one of the lowest paid head coaches in the league.  You get what you pay for.  No Head Coaching and no Offensive Coordinator experience and the Bengals front office expected him to come in and change the culture?  He can barely keep his head above water, forget about changing the culture.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, catholicdude said:

  I don't believe she is grinding an axe at all, in fact, most of this is obvious.

That is the point.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

Players on a 2 win team may not be happy?  Weird.  

Bad language?  From a d-coordinator?  Shocking.  Her husband worked for 10 years for Mick Cronin (who I like a lot), but now we draw the line at sensitive language.  

The article and the timing of it is a hit-piece, period.  She was tight with Marvin, she left town on TERRIBLE terms with the Bengals media relations staff, and now she is grinding her axe.  

And again, I'm not suggesting for one second that Zac Taylor can coach a puppy to the door to go potty, just that this article (and the timing of it) is a hit-piece.  

I'd almost guarantee that her "sources" are all leftover Marvin guys.  It's not uncommon that a new coach ruffles feathers.  Also not uncommon that a losing team has locker room issues.  From what I've seen, Taylor has held players accountable much more than Marvin did.  That can rub veterans the wrong way.  

And just my opinion, but she was unwatchable and unlistenable when she was on the air.  Almost like she knew very little about the sports she was covering.  Of course I'm a known sexist... just ask my wife.  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bengalswire though other sources published responses on this issue from Gio and Vonn Bell.

Gio had this to say to Paul Dehner Jr.:

“I hope I’m not doing anything wrong by saying it’s soft. It is what it is. If you have an issue, Coach Taylor has always been the type of guy, ‘Hey, if you have an issue don’t go to the media. Let’s talk about it, let’s hash it out. Let’s not bring all the outside noise, let’s just handle this stuff inside this building.’”

Vonn Bell had this to say:

Basically a bunch of nothing so maybe there is some truth to Elise Jesse's "hit piece."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elise Jesse just posted this on Facebook:

Here’s a broken down Zac Taylor quote from today. Tell me what you think is wrong with it.

“If you believe in the way that you're approaching things and what your mission is it shouldn't change based on wins and losses.”

We tell the guys we want consistent players who walk in the building every single day and we know what to expect from them. I sure as heck am not going to be any different than I was the day I showed up on the job.”

“I believe in what this staff has asked these players to do. I believe that the players have bought in and that they know this is the right way to do it, and we're not going to change our personalities or the way we go about our business just because of the trials that we've faced."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the latest from Elise on Facebook:

Dolphins defense only allows teams to convert in 3rd down situations 32.8% of the time. 

A brutal stat for the Bengals who have only converted on 3rd down 36% of the time this year (29th) and that was with a talented QB like Joe Burrow under center.

Many on the team have been scratching their heads as to why the Bengals don’t run the ball.... it adds pressure to your QB (Burrow injury), and makes your offense one that is easy to defend, making it harder for everybody in that side of the ball.

Here’s my Q: why is Zac Taylor still calling the plays? Why not give Brian Callahan a shot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More from Elise on Facebook:

AJ Green is not the type of player who ever voices his dissatisfaction (especially to the media), but he launched his helmet in frustration after last week's lone target and that is something to pay particular attention to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, theguru said:

More from Elise on Facebook:

AJ Green is not the type of player who ever voices his dissatisfaction (especially to the media), but he launched his helmet in frustration after last week's lone target and that is something to pay particular attention to.

Nothing to pay attention to, he is gone after this year.  Others on roster have moved passed him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.