Nightmare College Football Scenario

GrantNKY

There is a strong potential for the biggest nightmare scenario in the short history of the college football playoff. 
The Scenario: 

- The SEC Triangle. Florida beats Bama. We would have 3 one loss SEC schools with the only losses coming to one of the other 2 one loss teams. I have no idea who gets in. 

- Clemson beats ND in a really tight game in the ACC Championship. 

- Ohio State wins out. 

- Oregon wins out. 

How could we possibly pick between these 7 schools? 

21 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

There is a strong potential for the biggest nightmare scenario in the short history of the college football playoff. 
The Scenario: 

- The SEC Triangle. Florida beats Bama. We would have 3 one loss SEC schools with the only losses coming to one of the other 2 one loss teams. I have no idea who gets in. 

- Ohio State wins out. 

- Oregon wins out. 

Quite honestly I wouldn’t put an undefeated Oregon against any of those schools. I personally think UC is better than them. 

What’s sad is they had an option to put 8 teams in the playoffs for this year, and chose to stick with four. 

Oregon isn't getting in over one loss SEC teams or Clemson/Notre Dame, so we can start there.

Ohio State would probably end up 1 seed as only unbeaten.

2 Seed probably goes to Florida for beating Bama..

3 seed goes to Clemson for avenging their only loss that came without their starting QB and a few defensive starters. 

4 seed ends up being Bama, IMO. 

One loss Notre Dame and Texas A&M get left out. 

Notre Dame gets undefeated UC in NY6 bowl and A&M gets undefeated BYU.

6 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Quite honestly I wouldn’t put an undefeated Oregon against any of those schools. I personally think UC is better than them. 

What’s sad is they had an option to put 8 teams in the playoffs for this year, and chose to stick with four. 

I think they should have just done an 8 team playoff this year due to the circumstances of not everyone playing the same types of schedule or amount of games. Perfect trial run for when it actually expands to 8 in 2025. (?)

24 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I wouldn’t either as of today. I think UC and BYU can beat anyone outside of the top 4. This is hands down the best year for an eight team playoff without out of conference play. There’s nothing really to compare anything from. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Walter said:

Oregon isn't getting in over one loss SEC teams or Clemson/Notre Dame, so we can start there.

Ohio State would probably end up 1 seed as only unbeaten.

2 Seed probably goes to Florida for beating Bama..

3 seed goes to Clemson for avenging their only loss that came without their starting QB and a few defensive starters. 

4 seed ends up being Bama, IMO. 

One loss Notre Dame and Texas A&M get left out. 

Notre Dame gets undefeated UC in NY6 bowl and A&M gets undefeated BYU.

Why do you automatically exclude Oregon? I probably would as well, but curious as to others reasonings. 

18 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Why do you automatically exclude Oregon? I probably would as well, but curious as to others reasonings. 

They could potentially only have to play one ranked team the entire season and that's assuming who they play in the CCG is undefeated as well...that, on top of only playing 7 games. I just don't see how their resume would be good enough to jump any of the one loss SEC teams, Clemson/Notre Dame, or an undefeated UC/BYU.

You could honestly make an argument that a one loss Indiana/Wisconsin should be ahead of them too. 

Nightmare scenario?

This is a DREAM scenario... I hope it happens this year, next year and every year until they expand the playoffs to 8 teams.

All power 5 conferences get their league winner in and you have 3 extra spots to plug in teams... it’s perfect.

Chaos drives change. We need it...

I'll play the devil's committee advocate on the Oregon question. With a shortened season and decreased exposure, past performance will be taken into consideration. I am not saying it is fair, just the reality of the situation. What has Oregon done of late to prove they deserve a nod? Is SEC bias a thing? Of course it is. On balance, the SEC has won the title in over 50% of the seasons since college football started pitting the top two teams against one another in a championship game (1998).

Just now, bugatti said:

Each year it seems we are destined towards some kind of doomsday scenario. It never plays out. Maybe you have a weird case or two, but wake me up in a month if we are in the same boat.

This year is different though because not everyone is playing the same number of games. The only out of conference games we had were power 5 vs non power 5. Until the championship week in the SEC, I don’t see Bama, Florida, or A&M even having a realistic shot to lose a game. Clemson and Notre Dame are going to play again and we have already seen how evenly matched they are. Hell Ohio States two toughest games look to be the next two against Maryland and Indiana which is weird to say. I don’t see a way where we don’t have 3-4 teams with a rightful claim to the 4th spot in the playoff. 1-3 will be easy. Bama/ Florida winner, Ohio State if they win out, and the winner of the Clemson/ ND rematch. After that it’s going to be complete chaos and I barring something completely crazy happening, it’s going to be the most chaotic push for the last playoff spot we’ve had so far. 

18 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

The Scenario: 

- Ohio State wins out. 

- Oregon wins out. 

Without putting ANY thought into it, and considering the SEC bias, I'd say all three SEC schools and OSU.