Nightmare College Football Scenario

GrantNKY

12 hours ago, MBWC41 said:

Nightmare scenario?

This is a DREAM scenario... I hope it happens this year, next year and every year until they expand the playoffs to 8 teams.

All power 5 conferences get their league winner in and you have 3 extra spots to plug in teams... it’s perfect.

Chaos drives change. We need it...

I agree. Until all P5 conference winners are guaranteed a spot in the CFP, I won't ever think it's "right." 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bugatti said:

I'll play the devil's committee advocate on the Oregon question. With a shortened season and decreased exposure, past performance will be taken into consideration. I am not saying it is fair, just the reality of the situation. What has Oregon done of late to prove they deserve a nod?

Oregon was a really, really good team last year. They lost inexplicably to Arizona State, but that was a great team. They were no where near LSU, Clemson, or Ohio States level, but a good team. This year they have some straight up dudes on defense. Oregon if you don’t pay attention to recruiting at all, has been tearing it up on defensive recruiting. I agree past performances will likely play a huge part in the selection of the final team and that will work against Oregon for sure, but this isn’t a typical Oregon team. They built this team like SEC and Big 10 schools typically do and started with defense. 

12 hours ago, John Anthony said:

Rona could shake this up even more.

Yep. We haven’t seen Wisconsin play in 3 weeks, but when they did play they appeared to have the second best QB in the whole conference. Wisconsin if they go on a tear could be thrown in the mix as well. Plus if there’s an outbreak at another notable school, then who knows what happens. 

5 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

This year is different though because not everyone is playing the same number of games. The only out of conference games we had were power 5 vs non power 5. Until the championship week in the SEC, I don’t see Bama, Florida, or A&M even having a realistic shot to lose a game. Clemson and Notre Dame are going to play again and we have already seen how evenly matched they are. Hell Ohio States two toughest games look to be the next two against Maryland and Indiana which is weird to say. I don’t see a way where we don’t have 3-4 teams with a rightful claim to the 4th spot in the playoff. 1-3 will be easy. Bama/ Florida winner, Ohio State if they win out, and the winner of the Clemson/ ND rematch. After that it’s going to be complete chaos and I barring something completely crazy happening, it’s going to be the most chaotic push for the last playoff spot we’ve had so far. 

I hear you. It would be great for college football if it unfolds like this. I just think once it gets closer the picture will be more clear than it is right now.

Just now, bugatti said:

I hear you. It would be great for college football if it unfolds like this. I just think once it gets closer the picture will be more clear than it is right now.

It always is. Have we really had a year yet when the consensus was a team got snubbed?

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

It always is. Have we really had a year yet when the consensus was a team got snubbed?

Consensus? No. Some debates on the tail end of the 4 teams, sure. But the no-brainers have always gotten in.

If you are having to make a case, that is because your resume has some warts in it and you were put in over another team with some warts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I think people were pretty upset with TCU getting left out. Ohio State obviously went on to win the title so it doesn’t get brought up much anymore, but I would say that TCU definitely has the right to say they got snubbed. 

4 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

I think people were pretty upset with TCU getting left out. Ohio State obviously went on to win the title so it doesn’t get brought up much anymore, but I would say that TCU definitely has the right to say they got snubbed. 

I'm talking about the majority of people believing a team got snubbed. You could find people to make an argument for every team 5-10 since the CFP began. 

We haven't had a scenario yet that we have all talked about every year, where some "perfect storm" happens and we all feel like a team got left out. 

I'm a firm believer we should go to eight teams to include all P5 winners, but the CFP has done what it was supposed to so far, IMO. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I agree. Until all P5 conference winners are guaranteed a spot in the CFP, I won't ever think it's "right." 

6 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I'm talking about the majority of people believing a team got snubbed. You could find people to make an argument for every team 5-10 since the CFP began. 

We haven't had a scenario yet that we have all talked about every year, where some "perfect storm" happens and we all feel like a team got left out. 

I'm a firm believer we should go to eight teams to include all P5 winners, but the CFP has done what it was supposed to so far, IMO. 

Agreed.

I’d even be happy with a 6 team playoff.

All the P5 winners and one random team that went undefeated or the second place team from a P5 conference.

Give the number 1 and 2 teams a first week bye.

Letting all the power 5 conference winners in and a play in game for the 6 and 7 seeded teams would be interesting also.

I feel like 6-8 teams eliminates all doubt. 

6 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

LSU players went to a Halloween party. Probably hosted by Coach O’s new girl. 

Auburn Miss State cancelled.  Bama LSU likely cancelled, A&M has suspended team activities.  Sounds like UK coaching staff is having an outbreak.  I’m really worried here in 2-4 weeks.

28 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Auburn Miss State cancelled.  Bama LSU likely cancelled, A&M has suspended team activities.  Sounds like UK coaching staff is having an outbreak.  I’m really worried here in 2-4 weeks.

Definitely doesn’t look great. At least so far outside of Wisconsin, the Big Ten does appear to be a step ahead of everyone when it comes to Covid protocols. We’ll see if it continues that way.