Beechwood 45 Newport Central Catholic 0

theguru

9 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

A team should always look to get better. If we are going to look for an area Beechwood needs to improve, it is running the ball and the offensive line has to own that. Their best running threat is Hergott scrambling. They have one running back with more than 100 yards on the season. That is Courtney with 192 yards rushing for the year.

They are working on it. That is why the opening drive of the game last night was run after run. They were trying to make that running game work. They just dominated their long time rival 45-0 so it is nitpicking to some extent, but I think the offensive line still has work to do in building a running threat in the offense.

You can’t expect kids to improve in areas they cannot control, which is size. BW is very small upfront. Take Slusher out (6’5” 280 lbs), and Nachazel at 240 (?) is biggest lineman. Do they have room to get better, yes. But give some credit where credit is due. Whole unit has really stepped up game IMO. 

2 minutes ago, LoudenSwain said:

You can’t expect kids to improve in areas they cannot control, which is size. BW is very small upfront. Take Slusher out (6’5” 280 lbs), and Nachazel at 240 (?) is biggest lineman. Do they have room to get better, yes. But give some credit where credit is due. Whole unit has really stepped up game IMO. 

Like I said, nitpicking. It is a whole new offensive line so credit to them for sure on what this team has accomplished. But the running game is the area where there is the most opportunity for improvement for the #2 team in 2A.

2 minutes ago, StraightShooter said:

I like Beechwood to win state if the playoffs are completed. I have doubts about a finish to the season. Could well be like the Sweet 16 in basketball. Great job by Coach Rash and the Tigers!

I will say this. If the playoffs don't happen, I can see Beechwood and LCA making a game happen unless someone higher up says no. The administrations at those two schools would make that game happen. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I will say this. If the playoffs don't happen, I can see Beechwood and LCA making a game happen unless someone higher up says no. The administrations at those two schools would make that game happen. 

I’d pay triple the admission price if that happens and they do this! 

A couple of you have said it, but I think credit needs to go to Beechwood OL Coach Bob Burnett and his crew of offensive linemen..

OT Luke Slusher

OG Henry Nachazel

C Bryce Shepherd

OG Colby Vanderpool 

OT Xavier Campbell

Take this in for a second....

* FOUR of the five have never started on a varsity OL until this season. 

* Shepherd stepped into play C at the start of the season when starting G Adam Gibbs was injured and Nachazel had to move from C to G. 

* Campbell had been a RB/FB/TE with major upside until this season, but bc of the need, stepped in to fill the opening at tackle. Team player.

Amazing coaching job by Bob Burnett and every one of those coaches on this staff who've touched these kids this year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BrosefStalin said:

A couple of you have said it, but I think credit needs to go to Beechwood OL Coach Bob Burnett and his crew of offensive linemen..

OT Luke Slusher

OG Henry Nachazel

C Bryce Shepherd

OG Colby Vanderpool 

OT Xavier Campbell

Take this in for a second....

* FOUR of the five have never started on a varsity OL until this season. 

* Shepherd stepped into play C at the start of the season when starting G Adam Gibbs was injured and Nachazel had to move from C to G. 

* Campbell had been a RB/FB/TE with major upside until this season, but bc of the need, stepped in to fill the opening at tackle. Team player.

Amazing coaching job by Bob Burnett and every one of those coaches on this staff who've touched these kids this year. 

I loved playing for Coach B and Coach Jim! Those two men have forgot more about football than most of us will ever know. Both of these men will believe in you before you will believe in yourself. 

Well back to the drawing board for the Breds. Having the opposing QB go 14/14 means eyes should be on the secondary/linebackers to make improvements in the pass defense. 

Also I know they were playing from behind but 18 rushes and 25 passes leans away from what this team does well. Creative rushing plays may need to add some depth to the playbook. Just my opinion as an armchair qb. 

I know these kids play hard and are ready for the chance to rebound this week against the Bulldogs

3 hours ago, InsideSlant said:

Well back to the drawing board for the Breds. Having the opposing QB go 14/14 means eyes should be on the secondary/linebackers to make improvements in the pass defense. 

Also I know they were playing from behind but 18 rushes and 25 passes leans away from what this team does well. Creative rushing plays may need to add some depth to the playbook. Just my opinion as an armchair qb. 

I know these kids play hard and are ready for the chance to rebound this week against the Bulldogs

When you rush the ball 18 times and only gain 28 yards, why would you want more rushing plays?