Reds 2020 Recap and look forward to 2021

32 minutes ago, Mustang said:

If Bauer sells out on us, then he merely used us as his safe place to demonstrate what he is capable of doing to the rest of the league, and is now available to the highest bidder.

Maybe a longer time stint in Cincinnati would be a token of his appreciation to us, since he is now worth much more now than when he arrived.

It's not like Bauer chose to come here as a free agent.  The Reds traded for him and the organization knew and probably hoped this would be the outcome because he meant he would be great and they'd have a shot at the playoffs and making a run.

Sell out?  Please.

Bauer doesn't owe the Cincinnati Reds, the City of Cincinnati, nor their fans anything.  I don't understand that mentality whatsoever.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mustang said:

So, it's OK that all of our players are "Rent-A-Players"???'

Again, a criticism of our team.  They are not a team.  They are a collection of players, primarily looking out for themselves instead of the city which is paying their tabs.

Why shouldn't they look out for themselves.  Who was looking out for guys like Frazier or Bruce when the team decided it was in their best interest to trade them away?

Why should any player be beholden to any organization?  Especially if that organization is not willing to pay you what you're worth on the open market.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Why shouldn't they look out for themselves.  Who was looking out for guys like Frazier or Bruce when the team decided it was in their best interest to trade them away?

Why should any player be beholden to any organization?  Especially if that organization is not willing to pay you what you're worth on the open market.

The fact that you have to say this is mind boggling to me. 

49 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Again, a criticism of our team.  They are not a team.  They are a collection of players, primarily looking out for themselves instead of the city which is paying their tabs.

If Bauer sells out on us, then he merely used us as his safe place to demonstrate what he is capable of doing to the rest of the league, and is now available to the highest bidder.

Maybe a longer time stint in Cincinnati would be a token of his appreciation to us, since he is now worth much more now than when he arrived.

What you describe is modern day sports whether MLB, NFL and/or NBA.

17 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Welcome to the 21st century. I am glad you are starting to catch up on how athletes in college and professional sports operate in this century.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mustang said:

1. So, it's OK that all of our players are "Rent-A-Players"???'

2. Again, a criticism of our team.  They are not a team.  They are a collection of players, primarily looking out for themselves instead of the city which is paying their tabs.

3. If Bauer sells out on us, then he merely used us as his safe place to demonstrate what he is capable of doing to the rest of the league, and is now available to the highest bidder.

4. Maybe a longer time stint in Cincinnati would be a token of his appreciation to us, since he is now worth much more now than when he arrived.

1. That's up to ownership.  Are they willing to pay market rate?  Are they willing to pay for long-term contracts?  If so, how sure are you of a guy lasting that long?  How much money do you realistically have for payroll?  Heck, even just this past year, Anthony Rendon left a team he helped lead to the World Series, because they couldn't afford both him and Strasburg.

2. This is every team.  Like it or not, free agency destroyed the "team" concept back in the late 70's.  Players move around.  Some chase the dollars.  Some chase a lifestyle.  Some chase championships.  But loyalty to a city?  Come on, man.

3. This is what every player does.  Every. Single. One.

4. A token of appreciation?  Really?!?  When was the last time you know of someone who turned down a payraise?  And however much more he is worth now than when he arrived...is solely due to what HE did.  It's not like the Reds were playing stellar defense behind him, and scoring 8 runs a game when he pitched.  He dang near needed to pitch a complete game shutout just to have a chance at a W.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

1. That's up to ownership.  Are they willing to pay market rate?  Are they willing to pay for long-term contracts?  If so, how sure are you of a guy lasting that long?  How much money do you realistically have for payroll?  Heck, even just this past year, Anthony Rendon left a team he helped lead to the World Series, because they couldn't afford both him and Strasburg.

2. This is every team.  Like it or not, free agency destroyed the "team" concept back in the late 70's.  Players move around.  Some chase the dollars.  Some chase a lifestyle.  Some chase championships.  But loyalty to a city?  Come on, man.

3. This is what every player does.  Every. Single. One.

4. A token of appreciation?  Really?!?  When was the last time you know of someone who turned down a payraise?  And however much more he is worth now than when he arrived...is solely due to what HE did.  It's not like the Reds were playing stellar defense behind him, and scoring 8 runs a game when he pitched.  He dang near needed to pitch a complete game shutout just to have a chance at a W.

Point #4 especially dead on!!

Unfortunately (for people who remember the old days, like me) the nature of sports has changed and will never go back.   I understand the complaints about them not being a TEAM but you can’t complain about them not going out and getting players then turnaround and complain when they do!

I would throw $25 Million at him for 1 year, see if he bites.  If not then I move up.  If you have 3 quality pitchers you have a chance in making and being successful in the playoffs.  However if you do not make a change at manager and hitting coach, then just forget it.  I would not stay if I was Bauer unless those changes are made.  I would of already made the change and put myself in the category of big name managers.  I know Cora cheated in Boston but he did win a world series, might be someone I would look at it.   I think FA will cause players to lose out on money with the Corona shortening the season.  Bauer may want a longer deal, if he does I think the Reds should move on,  he has thrown a lot of pitches and innings the last 3 years, long term would worry me.

3 hours ago, 8th Region Warrior said:

I would throw $25 Million at him for 1 year, see if he bites.  If not then I move up.  If you have 3 quality pitchers you have a chance in making and being successful in the playoffs.  However if you do not make a change at manager and hitting coach, then just forget it.  I would not stay if I was Bauer unless those changes are made.  I would of already made the change and put myself in the category of big name managers.  I know Cora cheated in Boston but he did win a world series, might be someone I would look at it.   I think FA will cause players to lose out on money with the Corona shortening the season.  Bauer may want a longer deal, if he does I think the Reds should move on,  he has thrown a lot of pitches and innings the last 3 years, long term would worry me.

Cora was suspended for his part in the sign stealing in Houston,  not Boston.   He was not penalized,  nor found to be responsible for anything in Boston.   Boston players were only found to have used the replay room to try and figure out the signs-- something both teams had access to.   That's there penalties were much less than the Astros.   They would have likely gotten a slap on the wrist had they not already gotten a slap on the wrist for using an Apple Watch in the dugout.  Cora is a really good manager.  I wouldn't let what happened in Houston keep me from hiring him.  He's lightyears better than Bell. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 8th Region Warrior said:

I know you won't like it...but, Bell ain't going anywhere.  There's absolutely no way Bob is going to cut bait with a guy who got the team to the playoffs in his second year.  It'd be different if we had been going to the playoffs and making deeper runs, and then get kicked to the curb early.  But, not this way.

And, unfortunately, I don't think the hitting coach is going anywhere either.  Read an article the other day that basically blamed the Reds hitting woes this year, on LAST year's hitting coach, Turner Ward.  The article said the Reds want to have one, uniform hitting approach throughout their system, and the guy hired to do that this year really didn't have a chance to implement anything (due to Covid), so he's likely to be back in 2021.

7 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

And, unfortunately, I don't think the hitting coach is going anywhere either.  Read an article the other day that basically blamed the Reds hitting woes this year, on LAST year's hitting coach, Turner Ward.  The article said the Reds want to have one, uniform hitting approach throughout their system, and the guy hired to do that this year really didn't have a chance to implement anything (due to Covid), so he's likely to be back in 2021.

I never played baseball but I feel like I understand it pretty well.  Why would you want a whole team with the same hitting approach?  Aren't players built differently and have unique traits about them.  Seems like a good hitting coach would work with players and develop their unique approaches at the plate.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I never played baseball but I feel like I understand it pretty well.  Why would you want a whole team with the same hitting approach?  Aren't players built differently and have unique traits about them.  Seems like a good hitting coach would work with players and develop their unique approaches at the plate.

Not sure.  I think they're trying to do the same thing with the pitching.  And maybe it's not so much the "style" (whether you're in a closed stance, or open stance...throw 3/4, or more overhead)...as much as it is the mental approach and the language used to describe things.  Again, I'm not sure.  Just repeating what I've read.

• Like 1