Raw Deal for Ohio State

Jumper_Dad

1 hour ago, Hellcats said:

Won’t they win the Spring National Championship then?  

NCAA brass isn’t supporting the SEC, ACC, and BIG12 having a fall season. Buckeyes may be the only honored champion. 

NCAA doesn't crown a Division I football champion. College Football Playoff is a consortium of conferences that together crown a champion following a playoff they operate themselves.

30 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

NCAA doesn't crown a Division I football champion. College Football Playoff is a consortium of conferences that together crown a champion following a playoff they operate themselves.

So two national championships and the NCAA can put both on the website. 

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/college-football-national-championship-history%3famp

So, apparently what is trying to be pulled off is to get 6 of the Big Ten teams to play each other in a home/away 10 game schedule.  Ohio State seems to be leading the charge.  Evidently Penn State, Nebraska and Iowa are supposedly "in" on it, so they've got 4 right now.  Seems like they're still trying to get Wisconsin and Michigan to come on board.

5 minutes ago, Hellcats said:

So two national championships and the NCAA can put both on the website. 

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/college-football-national-championship-history%3famp

Those are past champions but none were awarded by the NCAA. I'm assuming they have a website that shows past champions because all winners are members of the NCAA. The College Football Playoff (CFP) is ran by the conferences; the BCS was run by the conferences. Prior to 1998, champions were awarded by the AP, UPI, and other news agencies. At no point in the history of college football has the NCAA crowned a champion or awarded a trophy for a Division I football champion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS

6 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Those are past champions but none were awarded by the NCAA. I'm assuming they have a website that shows past champions because all winners are members of the NCAA. The College Football Playoff (CFP) is ran by the conferences; the BCS was run by the conferences. Prior to 1998, champions were awarded by the AP, UPI, and other news agencies. At no point in the history of college football has the NCAA crowned a champion or awarded a trophy for a Division I football champion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS

Even it is just on the NCAA website,  they could ignore what the southern schools do in the fall against their wishes, and only “recognize” what happens in the BIG10 and PAC12 in the Spring since it’s all mythical.  

28 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

So, apparently what is trying to be pulled off is to get 6 of the Big Ten teams to play each other in a home/away 10 game schedule.  Ohio State seems to be leading the charge.  Evidently Penn State, Nebraska and Iowa are supposedly "in" on it, so they've got 4 right now.  Seems like they're still trying to get Wisconsin and Michigan to come on board.

Michigan does not want to play, or lose to OSU twice.  They want no part of the season.

2 hours ago, Hellcats said:

Won’t they win the Spring National Championship then?  

NCAA brass isn’t supporting the SEC, ACC, and BIG12 having a fall season. Buckeyes may be the only honored champion. 

The NCAA has never crowned a football national champion so it doesn’t really matter. The championships have always been decided by a 3rd party whether it be the Playoff, BCS, or Polls. The only thing the NCAA has control over is eligibility of players competing in games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CincySportsFan said:

Somewhat surprised Michigan State isn't "in", but perhaps they weren't expecting to have a great year.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

Somewhat surprised Michigan State isn't "in", but perhaps they weren't expecting to have a great year.

New coach. New QB. Couple rough years in a row. School under fire for multiple scandals recently. I’m sure MSU was very happy to take a year off of football and regroup. 

1 minute ago, GrantNKY said:

New coach. New QB. Couple rough years in a row. School under fire for multiple scandals recently. I’m sure MSU was very happy to take a year off of football and regroup. 

Opponents would have to give Sparty a 14 point lead to get them to play.  It’s a mess up there, very reminiscent of Stoops taking over for Joker.

12 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Opponents would have to give Sparty a 14 point lead to get them to play.  It’s a mess up there, very reminiscent of Stoops taking over for Joker.

Honestly it’s probably more reminiscent of Joker taking over for Brooks at this point. I don’t think Sparty has hit rock bottom yet. 

• Like 1