Faraday Cages

theguru

Does anyone have any experience using one? How well do they work? Which one would you recommend for a phone?

Also, from Wikipedia:

A Faraday cage or Faraday shield is an enclosure used to block electromagnetic fields. A Faraday shield may be formed by a continuous covering of conductive material, or in the case of a Faraday cage, by a mesh of such materials.

I know in theory how they work. Have never fooled with one though. It's basically a hollow conductor.

It's because electrical energy passes on the outside of wires. Only the electrons pass through the wires. Therefore in a Faraday cage all of the electrical energy passes around the outside leaving a hollow conductor.

Good one!

I was thinking about something more mobile.

There are Faraday bags sized for almost every sized device. You can even pick them up at Walmart.

I quiried a friend who holds a physics degree and worked on mobile networks. The bags work. He mentioned that for phones, you can't receive calls, and for any device left "on" you'll burn through batteries while it hunts for networks. He's used bags made by EDEC and MOS.

If you're looking for something less conspicuous, there are how-tos for homemade portable "cages" out there.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm intrigued. What am I missing here @theguru? Why exactly would you want/need one at the present time?

Forget the present.

Do you want your every move to be tracked all the time, the rest of your life by corporations and governments around the world?

We can debate the practice all we want but at the end of the day it is another liberty/freedom being taken away from us and it is a big one.

Forget the present.

Do you want your every move to be tracked all the time, the rest of your life by corporations and governments around the world?

We can debate the practice all we want but at the end of the day it is another liberty/freedom being taken away from us and it is a big one.

I tend to agree with this idea, but how do you feel about the idea of government using phone data to track the movements of people during this quarantine time. Specifically tracking the movements of those who have contracted the virus or been in contact with people who have the virus.

I tend to agree with this idea, but how do you feel about the idea of government using phone data to track the movements of people during this quarantine time. Specifically tracking the movements of those who have contracted the virus or been in contact with people who have the virus.

Negative Ghostrider.

Forget the present.

While in theory it may sound good, it'd basically turn your phone into a brick, right? No incoming phone calls, texts or emails while it's in the cage. So, why have a mobile phone then? And as soon as you take it out, they'd be able track where you're at, right? So, if you put it in the cage when you get in your car and leave it there until you get to a specific restaurant, and then you take it out to take it in with you...they may not know the route you took, but they still would know the destination, correct?

While in theory it may sound good, it'd basically turn your phone into a brick, right? No incoming phone calls, texts or emails while it's in the cage. So, why have a mobile phone then? And as soon as you take it out, they'd be able track where you're at, right? So, if you put it in the cage when you get in your car and leave it there until you get to a specific restaurant, and then you take it out to take it in with you...they may not know the route you took, but they still would know the destination, correct?

For sure on all counts. The real purpose of this thread is to point out privacy is dead and we all let it happen. :thumb: