9th Region Freshmen Standings

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week, Highlands over LLoyd. Last night the Birds defeated Holy Cross.

I am pretty impressed with the Birds sweeping through local competition especially with the fact that 3 of their guys from last year's squad opted not to play. I believe it was Collinsworth, Roller and Hogue. Anybody on their schedule look like a candidate to hand them their first loss?

I am pretty impressed with the Birds sweeping through local competition especially with the fact that 3 of their guys from last year's squad opted not to play. I believe it was Collinsworth, Roller and Hogue. Anybody on their schedule look like a candidate to hand them their first loss?

I think Boone will give them a decent game. Even though Popp is still out and Earls is playing strictly varsity, Gabbard and Flannery should play. I would have liked to see Boone and Highland's full freshmen arsenals play each other this year.

I think Boone will give them a decent game. Even though Popp is still out and Earls is playing strictly varsity, Gabbard and Flannery should play. I would have liked to see Boone and Highland's full freshmen arsenals play each other this year.

I agree, Boone is loaded and it would be a fun game to watch. I will say though it still should be a very even contest today. Hopefully we will get a good post on the score and any game notes.

I agree, Boone is loaded and it would be a fun game to watch. I will say though it still should be a very even contest today. Hopefully we will get a good post on the score and any game notes.

1-17-06

Highlands 65 Boone 64 in 3 overtimes

Great game by both teams. Close game throughout. Halftime was 22-21 Boone. Grubbs shot well for Highlands. Flannery had 28 for Boone, 26 of them in the second half. Boone was missing both starting guards due to sickness and injury. Highlands pressed at the end of regulation brought them back from about an 8 point deficit. This game was closer than I thought it would be, considering that both Gabbard and Popp were out for Boone. With those two playing, pressing Boone would have been very difficult. Futures look bright for both high school programs.

1-17-06

Highlands 65 Boone 64 in 3 overtimes

Great game by both teams. Close game throughout. Halftime was 22-21 Boone. Grubbs shot well for Highlands. Flannery had 28 for Boone, 26 of them in the second half. Boone was missing both starting guards due to sickness and injury. Highlands pressed at the end of regulation brought them back from about an 8 point deficit. This game was closer than I thought it would be, considering that both Gabbard and Popp were out for Boone. With those two playing, pressing Boone would have been very difficult. Futures look bright for both high school programs.

Wow, sounds like a great game. Congrats to both teams but since you want to keep re-emphasizing that Popp and Gabbard werent there I will go ahead and re-emphasize that Collinsworth 6'0, Roller 6'0 and Hogue 6'3 2/3 starters from last year's 8th grade state Championship team, opted not to play this year.

Wow, sounds like a great game. Congrats to both teams but since you want to keep re-emphasizing that Popp and Gabbard werent there I will go ahead and re-emphasize that Collinsworth 6'0, Roller 6'0 and Hogue 6'3 2/3 starters from last year's 8th grade state Championship team, opted not to play this year.

Yes, I know, and I am familiar with those boys. Do you know if they are only sitting out one year, or have they chosen to stick with football?

Popp and Gabbard make Boone at least 20 points better than they normally are, and IMHO, those two are crucial to their team's success. Boone was 9-0 before Gabbard was pulled up for awhile to play strictly varsity, and Popp got hurt. Since then, they are 3-4.

Boone's freshman team also, of course, does not have 6-6" freshman Andy Earls, who plays varsity and had 13 points and the winning shot against Highlands varsity the other night. Boone's freshmen should be stronger than they currently are when they rejoin as sophomores.

I've seen boys from both teams play each other in AAU and middle school ball the last several years, but to my knowledge, neither freshman team has played with their full roster in a regular or post-season game yet.

Both are good teams, and I look forward to seeing them play at full strength in the next few years of high school.

Yes, I know, and I am familiar with those boys. Do you know if they are only sitting out one year, or have they chosen to stick with football?

Popp and Gabbard make Boone at least 20 points better than they normally are, and IMHO, those two are crucial to their team's success. Boone was 9-0 before Gabbard was pulled up for awhile to play strictly varsity, and Popp got hurt. Since then, they are 3-4.

Boone's freshman team also, of course, does not have 6-6" freshman Andy Earls, who plays varsity and had 13 points and the winning shot against Highlands varsity the other night. Boone's freshmen should be stronger than they currently are when they rejoin as sophomores.

I've seen boys from both teams play each other in AAU and middle school ball the last several years, but to my knowledge, neither freshman team has played with their full roster in a regular or post-season game yet.

Both are good teams, and I look forward to seeing them play at full strength in the next few years of high school.

We will probably never know who would win with both teams at full strength. I suspect those guys are straight football from here on out. Hogue and Collinsworth will be prime targets at the receiver position next fall. Roller is a very good lineman , I think, and could compete for a starting spot there as well so I suspect these guys are going to focus on football.

I have read a lot about the Boone Freshman and know they are very tough. I predict they will make a run for the Region title next year and possibly the year after. With McFarland only a jr, Earls a year of varsity exp and Popp,Gabbard and Flannery coming up who can all play the guard position it should be a very solid team.

I think many of these freshmen basketball players are good athletes who would excel in football. Popp is a very good DB/tailback/wide receiver. He gave football up this year to focus on basketball. Gabbard used to be a very good tailback in peewee football. Flannery also played football last year. I could see Earls being a fine tight end in high school with his size, speed, and soft hands. The football coaches are often trying to convince basketball players to come out for football. There aren't as many two-sports athletes as there used to be. Nate Alford was quarterback on Boone's freshmen team and also plays basketball.

A little food for Thought out of the 10th Region!

Mason County vs Harrison Co. Freshman (boys)

The Royals defeated Harrison County Thursday night 42-32 at Harrison County.

The Royals were lead in scoring by Justin Lang & Colt Fearis, who each had 12 points including Lang's three 3pt field goals in the second half that helped lead the Royals to victory. The Royals trailed at halftime by 5, however in the second half the Royals went on a 17-6 run throughout the 3rd quarter of play. The Royals handed Harrison Co. their first regional loss this year. The Royals are now 11-4 on the season, and will host Pendelton Co. on Monday night at 6:00 p.m.

Wins over Lexington Catholic, South Laurel, Cov. Cath., Harrison Co., Campbell Co.

Losses: Scott Co., Ryle, St. X, Overtime loss to Campbell at Campbell.

Scoring Log

Mason County: Justin Lang 12, Ryne King 8, Colt Fearis 12, Kirk Sweeney 3,

Bradley Lang 7.

Harrison County: Martin 2, Dye 7, Thompson 9, Thomas 8, Turner 6