9th Region Freshmen Standings

I could see the freshmen who play JV playing in the freshmen tourney, but not many coaches would play a varsity starter in a freshmen tournament assuming Earls is still starting.

Boone didn't get any breaks in having to play Dixie in the first game.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be disappointed in Boone if they had boys that play varsity and/or JV full-time playing in the frosh tourney. CCH didn't do it with Jacobs and Bovard or Maile. Highlands didn't do it with the Roberts boy. IMO the frosh tourney should be for the boys that played frosh ball. Period.

Have these kids at Boone been playing varsity all year?

I know Jacobs & Bovard both stopped playing frosh a few days after Christmas. Nestheide never played frosh at all. I think Maile did, but I'm not sure for how long.

Bringing kids "down" for the frosh tourney is not right & quite frankly it is embarrassing for the kids who have gutted it out on the freshman team the entire year.

I think if the kids played both freshman and JV that is fine. Its when you get kids who may have started playing frosh and then stopped to get moved up to JV/dress Varsity. They they move them back down for the tournament. If they play the whole year like the HHS kids have and also play JV, then I think its ok.

I think if the kids played both freshman and JV that is fine. Its when you get kids who may have started playing frosh and then stopped to get moved up to JV/dress Varsity. They they move them back down for the tournament. If they play the whole year like the HHS kids have and also play JV, then I think its ok.

Agreed. If your JV team cannot formulate enough talent that you bring up FROSH to help out, I'm OK with the FROSH playing in the tourney. However, if its simply a case of putting a FROSH back down after playing all or most of the year exclusively at the JV/Varsity level, he should not play in the FROSH tourney. Its not a measure of how strong your FROSH "class" is but, rather, how well this year's FROSH "team" can do.

Have these kids at Boone been playing varsity all year?

I know Jacobs & Bovard both stopped playing frosh a few days after Christmas. Nestheide never played frosh at all. I think Maile did, but I'm not sure for how long.

Bringing kids "down" for the frosh tourney is not right & quite frankly it is embarrassing for the kids who have gutted it out on the freshman team the entire year.

Earls has been strictly varsity all year. He hasn't played in a freshman game, and I'm pretty sure he won't play in the tournament.

Flannery has dressed in a few varsity games now and got a few minutes here and there. He has basically played in most freshman games except for nights where there were triple headers. He has seen significant JV playing time.

Gabbard has seen significant varsity and JV minutes and dressed all or most of the varsity games, probably partly due to the injury to senior point guard Ben Ryan. He played in freshman games before Ryan was injured, and I think he will again since Ryan is back.

Popp started or played significant time in all freshman and JV games and dressed for most varsity games before he was injured.

Cotton is another freshman who has seen JV time but has played in all freshman games.

So, Earls is the only freshman that would be considered brought down for the freshman tourney if that WERE to happen.

All of these freshman have practiced with JV/varsity instead of freshman all year. They have played freshman games too to give them extra games. The idea is to develop the future by playing them JV/varsity, giving them as much gametime as possible, etc. I suspect that several of the freshman whose playing time they take away may not make the varsity team next year.

Earls has been strictly varsity all year. He hasn't played in a freshman game, and I'm pretty sure he won't play in the tournament.

Flannery has dressed in a few varsity games now and got a few minutes here and there. He has basically played in most freshman games except for nights where there were triple headers. He has seen significant JV playing time.

Gabbard has seen significant varsity and JV minutes and dressed all or most of the varsity games, probably partly due to the injury to senior point guard Ben Ryan. He played in freshman games before Ryan was injured, and I think he will again since Ryan is back.

Popp started or played significant time in all freshman and JV games and dressed for most varsity games before he was injured.

Cotton is another freshman who has seen JV time but has played in all freshman games.

So, Earls is the only freshman that would be considered brought down for the freshman tourney if that WERE to happen.

All of these freshman have practiced with JV/varsity instead of freshman all year. They have played freshman games too to give them extra games. The idea is to develop the future by playing them JV/varsity, giving them as much gametime as possible, etc. I suspect that several of the freshman whose playing time they take away may not make the varsity team next year.

I guess I am a little mixed on what I think should happen. I understand the kids need games and that is why you dress them JV and let them play but if they have played Varsity minutes significantly like Gabbard has lately I question moving him down. Flannery is fine, he has played mostly frosh/JV and Popp was injured so let him play. Earls obviously would be a joke if they moved him down. Gabbard is the only questionable one but in the end, I would rather see Highlands (my team) beat a full Boone Co team (less Earls) and say they beat an equal if not better team. Don't want any excuses from the Boone Fans if they did beat them and they were lacking some Frosh.

Earls though is a manchild and it would be a bad political move to bring him down. The others probably wouldnt be that big of a deal.

Play where you practice. If you practice with the Frosh, play frosh. If you practice with JV, play JV. If you practice Varsity, play Varsity. If JV & Varsity practice together, then use the minutes played barometer. (

Freshman are eligible to play freshman tourney, period. Expect to see Popp, Flannery, and Gabbard, Earls(who by the way is a freshman although a tad older than most) will likely not play and probably shouldn't. If the Boone boys all play together they will be tough to beat but HHS, Ryle and some others are formidible as well............good luck to all.

Standings for the week of 2/04/07

Highlands 18-0 Next - Holmes quarterfinals

W NCC, Elder, Beechwood, St. Henry, NCC, Campbell, Dixie, Brossart, Brossart, HC, Ryle, Cov Cath, Boone, Lloyd, HC, Scott, Conner, NCC

L

Boone County 16-7 Next - Ryle, tournament completed

W Ryle, Holy Cross, Newport, Dixie, Scott, Lloyd, Holmes, Conner, SK, Scott, Moeller, Brossart, St Henry, Cov Cath, Beechwood, Campbell

L Brossart, NewCath, Dixie, Highlands, HC, Conner, Dixie

Ryle 16-4 Next - Boone, NCC quarterfinals

W Scott, Grant Co, Dixie, Glen Este, Holmes, GRC, Mason Co, HC, SK, NCC, St. H, CCH, Beechwood, Conner, Brossart, Scott

L Boone, Male, Highlands, Newport

Holy Cross 13-8 tournament completed

W Conner, Scott, Holmes, Brossart, Lloyd, St. Henry, Dixie, Ludlow, SK, Harrison OH, Beechwood, Newport, Boone

L Boone, CCH, Highlands, Dixie, Elder, Ryle, Highlands, Holmes

Newport 12-5 Next - SK first round

W Scott, Lloyd, Bellevue, Scott, Purcell, Dayton, Ryle, Campbell, SK, Bell, Holmes, Ludlow

L Dixie, Boone, Brossart, NCC, Conner

Conner 12-8 Next - Lloyd first round

W Scott, Ludlow, SK, Beechwood, Lloyd, Holmes, Newport, Dixie, NCC, ?, ?, ?

L Holy Cross, Dixie, Boone, HC, Scott, Highlands, Ryle, CCH

Dixie 11-5 Next - Newport/SK winner quarterfinals

W Newport, Conner, CCH, HC, Brossart, Bellevue, SK, SK, Boone, St. H, Boone

L Boone, Ryle, Highlands, HC, Conner

Covington Catholic 9-8 Next - Beechwood first round

W HC, Elder, GRC, SK, St. H, ?, ?, Holmes, Conner

L Dixie, J-Town, Tates Creek, Mason Co, ?, Highlands, Boone, Ryle

Newport Central Catholic 9-7 Next - Ryle quarterfinals

W Newport, St. H, Boone, Scott, Bellevue, Lloyd, Holmes, Beechwood, St. H

L Highlands, Brossart, ST. H, Highlands, Ryle, Conner, Highlands

St. Henry 7-8 Tournament complete

W NCC, SK, SK, Brossart, Beechwood, Scott, Lloyd