Belfry 30 Bell County 20 (Class 3A State Championship)

theguru

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This run to the championship game shows just how much Hilton still has left in the tank. His career arc is really incredible:

- He builds Breathitt County into a winner before departing for Bell, where he picks up the pieces of a winless team and gets them to ten wins in his second year.

- He fashions Bell into a mountain powerhouse and wins a state title in 1991.

- After unexpectedly splitting from Bell a few years later, he pops up in Bourbon County, where he engineered one of the greatest Cinderella stories in Kentucky high school sports history.

- After a few years in Paris - the city, not the country - he returns to Bell County and begins working his magic on Log Mountain again, culminating in another state title in 2008.

- UPike came calling soon after, so he leaves Bell County (again), but returns (again) after UPike doesn't work out.

- He finds the Bobcat program in a state of discontent, coming off their first losing season in 33 years. So what does he do? He goes back to work at an age when most coaches have long since retired and spend their days fishing and taking naps. And now here Bell County is, back near the top again.

He may have come up short tonight, but he'll always be first in the heart of Bell County. And they'll be right back in the mix again next year.

I have to say congrats to Belfry on a great performance and a state title. I was impressed with there running backs they just keep running at you. Great job. I was surprised with how competitive Bell county made the game. They played a solid first half trailing only by 5 down 17-12. If they had not missed their first extra point then they wouldn’t have had to go for two after there next TD and could have kept it at 17-14. Which could have allowed for them to only been down 8 late in the game in the 4th if they could have completed the two point try making the score 30-22 and who knows how it could have played out. However they put up a great effort and showed to me they belonged in the championship game. I was expecting a Belfry blowout somewhere in the range of 30-7 or 35-7. So to put up 20 and play a solid 3 quarters shocked me. Congrats to Bell on not giving up and congrats on Belfry on finishing the game ending Bell’s undefeated season while capturing their 7th state championship.

[video=youtube_share;Lj1KxyhJ6k0]

A little some we put together cause linemen need love too. #BigThings

On that note:

Words cannot express how proud I am of how this OLine improved.

They went from a liability to a strength. Those guys worked their butts off and #55 Ethan Wolford was a tremendous leader. He stabilized that unit and led by example and really brought a green line around.

All those boys deserve serious praise as it is very Clear they refused to accept anything but to better themselves and Belfry doesn’t make it past Round 3 if not for those guys, let alone a State Title.

Congrats to Belfry, and especially to the BGPer who used to speak to me in pirate language. :lol2:

How many titles is this for Belfry?

Seventh.

All seven in a 17 year stretch that also included four runner-ups.

As a program they are 7-6 in Finals all-time.

This run to the championship game shows just how much Hilton still has left in the tank. His career arc is really incredible:

- He builds Breathitt County into a winner before departing for Bell, where he picks up the pieces of a winless team and gets them to ten wins in his second year.

- He fashions Bell into a mountain powerhouse and wins a state title in 1991.

- After unexpectedly splitting from Bell a few years later, he pops up in Bourbon County, where he engineered one of the greatest Cinderella stories in Kentucky high school sports history.

- After a few years in Paris - the city, not the country - he returns to Bell County and begins working his magic on Log Mountain again, culminating in another state title in 2008.

- UPike came calling soon after, so he leaves Bell County (again), but returns (again) after UPike doesn't work out.

- He finds the Bobcat program in a state of discontent, coming off their first losing season in 33 years. So what does he do? He goes back to work at an age when most coaches have long since retired and spend their days fishing and taking naps. And now here Bell County is, back near the top again.

He may have come up short tonight, but he'll always be first in the heart of Bell County. And they'll be right back in the mix again next year.

Is there a country named Paris?

Haha, good catch. It's been a long day.

Just messin with ya. I enjoyed the write up of Ol' Dudleys career. He's won where ever he has gone. I remember the mess that was going on when he was hired this last time and he just came back and started building again. A lot of Boyle fans consider the 97 BC team the best Rebel team to have not won a title. They were taken out by Dudley's eventual champs from Bourbon County.