If Harbaugh loses again...

Jumper_Dad

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only in Kentucky is UK/UL like OSU/Michigan. The GAME is national in scope. Often times there are national championship implications for the winner. The UK/UL game is for bragging rights and since so few Kentuckians ever play at either place it doesn't have a major impact on recruiting. I'm not an OSU or Michigan person, nor a UK/UL person, just a sports fan.

Only in Kentucky is UK/UL like OSU/Michigan. The GAME is national in scope. Often times there are national championship implications for the winner. The UK/UL game is for bragging rights and since so few Kentuckians ever play at either place it doesn't have a major impact on recruiting. I'm not an OSU or Michigan person, nor a UK/UL person, just a sports fan.

To be fair, outside of Ohio and Michigan that is just another rivalry game. Like OU/Texas, the Iron Bowl, USC/UCLA, Army/Navy, in the world of those teams and their fans...those are the biggest and best rivalries. When coaches fail to win those games, it ends up costing them their jobs.

When coaches fail to win those games, it ends up costing them their jobs.

That's the difference with inter-conference rivalries. A coach at Louisville or Kentucky would never get fired for always losing to the other, because they could lose 100 straight times and still win titles. That's not the case with a rivalry like OSU/Michigan. If Harbaugh never beats OSU, he'll never win a conference title and he'll never win a National Championship. That's why those guys lose their jobs, IMO.

That's the difference with inter-conference rivalries. A coach at Louisville or Kentucky would never get fired for always losing to the other, because they could lose 100 straight times and still win titles. That's not the case with a rivalry like OSU/Michigan. If Harbaugh never beats OSU, he'll never win a conference title and he'll never win a National Championship. That's why those guys lose their jobs, IMO.

I agree with that, my point was this rivalry is no bigger than many others across the country that fans are just as passionate about.

I think people have a warped impression of Michigan football. Because of that they are putting unrealistic expectations on Harbaugh. If we look at the history of college football teams I am not sure Michigan would be in the top 25 college football programs in history. It seems like people think Harbaugh should have Michigan performing as a perennial playoff team. That is not who Michigan is or has been as a football program so that is an unrealistic expectation in my opinion. Harbaugh to date in his tenure has Michigan playing at as high a level as they ever have historically.

I agree with that, my point was this rivalry is no bigger than many others across the country that fans are just as passionate about.

It’s fun to read this because you all will never be able to read the language of the rivalry. I do find it entertaining though, southerners trying to tell people what the OSU/Michigan rivalry is, or isn’t.

I think people have a warped impression of Michigan football. Because of that they are putting unrealistic expectations on Harbaugh. If we look at the history of college football teams I am not sure Michigan would be in the top 25 college football programs in history. It seems like people think Harbaugh should have Michigan performing as a perennial playoff team. That is not who Michigan is or has been as a football program so that is an unrealistic expectation in my opinion. Harbaugh to date in his tenure has Michigan playing at as high a level as they ever have historically.

They have more wins than any other school to go along with the best winning percentage and 9 National Championships.I would have to believe they would crack the Top 25.

It’s fun to read this because you all will never be able to read the language of the rivalry. I do find it entertaining though, southerners trying to tell people what the OSU/Michigan rivalry is, or isn’t.

It's a great rivalry, I never said otherwise. My point is there are many great rivalries across the nation. I spent a decade living in B1G country including just outside Columbus, I've seen it up close. Auburn and Alabama share the same state, and they hate each other every bit as much as those two schools up north do. Again, there are many great rivalries...not just yours.

It's a great rivalry, I never said otherwise. My point is there are many great rivalries across the nation. I spent a decade living in B1G country including just outside Columbus, I've seen it up close. Auburn and Alabama share the same state, and they hate each other every bit as much as those two schools up north do. Again, there are many great rivalries...not just yours.

It is a good rivalry because they share the same state. I’ve actually encountered quite a few people in my days that didn’t realize Auburn was in Alabama.

They took 40 years off from playing in 1900’s but it’s a bitter rivalry mostly due to the fact that the fan bases are willing to do about anything to each other.

In regards to OSU and Michigan we literally almost had a war with them over the city of Toledo, before the government stepped in. You’d be shocked how many Michigan fans are in Toledo, it’s not far from our Auburn. I think the only reason people are starting to downplay the rivalry is because of the results the last 15 years.

It is a good rivalry because they share the same state. I’ve actually encountered quite a few people in my days that didn’t realize Auburn was in Alabama.

They took 40 years off from playing in 1900’s but it’s a bitter rivalry mostly due to the fact that the fan bases are willing to do about anything to each other.

In regards to OSU and Michigan we literally almost had a war with them over the city of Toledo, before the government stepped in. You’d be shocked how many Michigan fans are in Toledo, it’s not far from our Auburn. I think the only reason people are starting to downplay the rivalry is because of the results the last 15 years.

I don't think it's downplayed, it's just one of many great rivalries in college football. That's why I love college football better than the NFL. Heck even the Egg Bowl is a great rivalry, what a game last night. Grambling and Southern is another rivalry that makes CFB great.

They have more wins than any other school to go along with the best winning percentage and 9 National Championships.I would have to believe they would crack the Top 25.

Riiiight .... Let's be real. One national championship since 1948. If we look at the the last 70 years, is Michigan in the top 25?

The point is with what he has accomplished already, Harbaugh is arguably the 2nd best coach at Michigan in the last 70 years. Second only to Bo.

Riiiight .... Let's be real. One national championship since 1948. If we look at the the last 70 years, is Michigan in the top 25?

The point is with what he has accomplished already, Harbaugh is arguably the 2nd best coach at Michigan in the last 70 years. Second only to Bo.

Lloyd Carr won a national title.