Highlands coach upset with people hiding behind a computer, sending anonymous emails

colonel-fan

Along the lines of this discussion.....

I have talked to 3 of the finest men/coaches in this state over the past couple weeks:

#1: anonymous emails, blasting him.

#2: fans blasting coach and players from sideline, foul language included.

#3: fan declaring the team needs a new coach, using foul language and in the presence of the coach's family.

It does seem that some stuff has been over the top more than usual lately.

Not sure what to think about all of this, but disturbing.

Edited by ChiefSmoke

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the parental advice. You are not getting my point-I am merely saying a high school coach needs thicker skin like anybody in a leadership position. I am the target of a lot of keyboard warriors because of my position and that is fine, but I do not let it bother me. If he lets it bother him he needs to step aside. As far as my kid who currently plays, my point is if me posting in this forum (and it usually is just commentary on a game) bothered him, I would stop. I've been on here for something like 15 years and enjoy this website.

Your clarification reads so much better. We all have posted messages that just don't read the way we intended. Thanks

One of a father's responsibilities is to leave footprints for our children to follow. We should never vary from that path. To knowlingly think we should be free to publicly ridicule and critize to the point our children need to reign us in is more than just an accidental misstep.

I don’t know about you, but my experience attending sporting events is that about 99.44% of embarrassing behavior is perpetrated by parents/adults.

I don't get the anonymous emails. Who do they get sent to? The coach? The principal? The AD?

People putting in their $0.02 on a message board? That's par for the course in today's world.

I find it hard to imagine that BW would be bent out of shape about things said on a message board, because as you said, that's par for the course. Not to mention, if he was logging onto a message board to read, well, you kinda are setting yourself up for whatever you may read.

I'd say it would have to be behavior that was beyond what is "normal" to warrant a response from most coaches.

I agree the personal attacks both at games and especially by the keyboard warriors have been getting more personal and vocal over the years. However, I believe unfortunately that comes with the territory and especially on the internet simply don't log on. I really fell sorry for the coaches' families as some of the comments are hard to take directed at your husband or father.

Every time I consider blasting a coach, I ask myself one question first. How many career wins does he have and how many do I have? That tells ME right there that I shouldn't be telling him how to coach. Just sharing MY approach. Not saying to ANYONE it should be yours.

Last Friday night I had a player down and injured on the sideline. To make a long story short. I was 'cussed' at by at least two middle aged women (not Franklin-Simpson fans) because I asked them to please step back and allow our paid PT to work on our kid. One even said she was a nurse of 20 years then went on to start yelling at us cursing etc...all the while there were at least 6 little girls and boys (elementary age) sitting with them near the fence. As i said to them they should be ashamed of the example they were providing for such young kids. So they responded with more of the same. And why...because they wanted to direct me on what to do with a student-athlete. I really think they meant well at first but when I asked for room for our PT they just went off. By the way our guy was fine and played the rest of the game and had a good night. I'm only sharing this story to point out that people are often ready to pounce on coaches at the drop of a hat. Oh well. I slept good. My player, his parents and I are close and I have know this kid since 5th grade.

Last Friday night I had a player down and injured on the sideline. To make a long story short. I was 'cussed' at by at least two middle aged women (not Franklin-Simpson fans) because I asked them to please step back and allow our paid PT to work on our kid. One even said she was a nurse of 20 years then went on to start yelling at us cursing etc...all the while there were at least 6 little girls and boys (elementary age) sitting with them near the fence. As i said to them they should be ashamed of the example they were providing for such young kids. So they responded with more of the same. And why...because they wanted to direct me on what to do with a student-athlete. I really think they meant well at first but when I asked for room for our PT they just went off. By the way our guy was fine and played the rest of the game and had a good night. I'm only sharing this story to point out that people are often ready to pounce on coaches at the drop of a hat. Oh well. I slept good. My player, his parents and I are close and I have know this kid since 5th grade.

Probably a nurse in a nursing home who is clueless about orthopedics/sports medicine anyway.

I find it hard to imagine that BW would be bent out of shape about things said on a message board, because as you said, that's par for the course. Not to mention, if he was logging onto a message board to read, well, you kinda are setting yourself up for whatever you may read.

I'd say it would have to be behavior that was beyond what is "normal" to warrant a response from most coaches.

Agreed. I'm just wondering how unhinged a person has to be to send anonymous emails about a high school football coach.