Deer Hunting?!?!

NEWCATH84

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is probably the most debated topic in all of deer hunting. One that will never be settled with any definitive answer. In short, it depends on the terrain you will be hunting.

Some calibers are good for long range shooting and they still pack enough punch for deer size game. The .270 or .30-06 comes to mind. Fields and open areas are perfect for this.

Other calibers are more for brushy, wooded and close range shooting. The old trusty .30-30 fits this mold and it has probably killed more deer than any other caliber over time.

My favorite is the .270 Win in about a 150 grain bullet. It is a jack of all trades so to speak and I am comfortable with it in most any hunting situation.

There is no do all, be all when it comes to calibers. You just need to talk to your buddies, evaluate the likely terrain you will be hunting and then discuss it with the professional where you will be shopping for a gun.

Once you decide, then there is the whole debate over bolt action, automatic, pump, lever action or single shot rifle to think about. :D

I recommend a good shot-gun. You can buy a good one with a rifled slug barrel and it won't break you up. Add a decent scope and with a little practice you will be very surprised in the accuracy from 10 to 150 yards. I've hunted with them all and a good ole slug gun is the most humane one too, you hit him right and he ain't going nowhere.

My advice would be to go to the shooting range with some buddies. Shoot their guns, see what feels good, what is natural.

A bolt action rifle (my favorite is the Remington 700 BDL) will be accurate and trustworthy, but the action may not feel good to you and it will take some practice to get off a 2nd shot without losing your target in the scope. Savage Arms makes some affordable and reliable bolt actions in their popular 110 series that are excellent bargains for a first rifle.

A semi-automatic (Rem 7400) rifle will offer a quick 2nd shot, but may not be as accurate as the bolt action.

A shotgun slug shooter will be cheaper, and has a ton of knockdown power, but will have limited range.

Consider going to a reputable gun dealer and see if they have any used guns in whatever model you like and in your price range. But don't buy a used gun unless you take somebody with you who knows what flaws to look for and can evaluate the condition of the rifle.

Also if you buy a "field grade" model you will save money over the higher grade guns because the wood is basic and there is generally no decoration on the receiver and no engravings, etc. You can recognize the difference.

You may want to consider where you will be hunting. Ohio doesn't allow rifle hunting, so most use shotgun, some use muzzleloaders. My advice is to select a sensible caliber, one with affordable ammunition that is readily available. I have dozens of rifles from .17 caliber to .300WSM caliber and frankly, I hunt most with a Rem 30.06, 700 model CDL, satin finish. In eastern KY shot distance is seldom over 100yds where I hunt. In more western parts you may shoot 300yds.. A flat trajectory, high velocity cartridge would be a good choice, like the .270, 25.06, or some of the high end bullets in .308 or .300. My only advice is this,,,,no matter what you choose to hunt with, outfit it with a quality scope and spend a goodly amount of time at the range learning and perfecting the shooting of your weapon. That way in the event you come across the buck of a lifetime, which beginners have a tendency to do, you'll be confident in your ability to use the weapon correctly and accurately. Good Luck, and if you get the fever,,,,,,,,,,,I wish your wife good luck!:thumb:

Great advice by everyone. The only thing I would add is to take a Hunter Safety Class. If you have never been a HUNTER it will give you some valuable lessons of the do's and don'ts in the hunting world.

Also I would read and buy videos to learn as much as you can about the type of game that you will be hunting. Nothing beats hunting experience but today's videos and reading material can also be a big help.

Good luck and I hope you become a Hunter and pass your passion to do so on to others.:thumb:

Great advice by everyone. The only thing I would add is to take a Hunter Safety Class. If you have never been a HUNTER it will give you some valuable lessons of the do's and don'ts in the hunting world.

Good advice, that is the first thing I should have said in my reply. When hunting, safety should always be priority #1.

My only advice is this,,,,no matter what you choose to hunt with, outfit it with a quality scope and spend a goodly amount of time at the range learning and perfecting the shooting of your weapon.

This should be priority #2. :thumb:

The bottom line is you need to be comfortable with your weapon and proficient enough to deliver a well placed shot when the time comes. The biggest and baddest rifle in the world will be no good to you if you haven't practiced with it enough to become proficient. I've killed deer just about any way imaginable, from shotguns to muzzle loaders (lots of fun by the way) to bow and arrow. The one thing they all have in common is shot placement is vital. A well placed shot with any modern weapon legal for deer hunting will humanely dispatch the animal, but an off target shot from just about any of them will result in a wounded deer that you may or may not be able to find. And that is irresponsible if it is the result of lack of practice.

One other piece of advice. ALWAYS obey ALL game laws, and don't go hunting with anyone who practices anything less than total and complete compliance with them. Trust me, set your standards high and don't sacrifice your scruples for a chance at illegally taking a deer, no matter how tempting. It sets a bad example, gives hunting a bad name and it will forever taint your enjoyment of the sport. Plus you could go to jail.

Good advice, that is the first thing I should have said in my reply. When hunting, safety should always be priority #1.

This should be priority #2. :thumb:

The bottom line is you need to be comfortable with your weapon and proficient enough to deliver a well placed shot when the time comes. The biggest and baddest rifle in the world will be no good to you if you haven't practiced with it enough to become proficient. I've killed deer just about any way imaginable, from shotguns to muzzle loaders (lots of fun by the way) to bow and arrow. The one thing they all have in common is shot placement is vital. A well placed shot with any modern weapon legal for deer hunting will humanely dispatch the animal, but an off target shot from just about any of them will result in a wounded deer that you may or may not be able to find. And that is irresponsible if it is the result of lack of practice.

One other piece of advice. ALWAYS obey ALL game laws, and don't go hunting with anyone who practices anything less than total and complete compliance with them. Trust me, set your standards high and don't sacrifice your scruples for a chance at illegally taking a deer, no matter how tempting. It sets a bad example, gives hunting a bad name and it will forever taint your enjoyment of the sport. Plus you could go to jail.

You are the man.

I have no doubt that you will become obsessed with hunting if you try it. May I suggest that if you try it and it is something you enjoy, do not limit yourself to just rifle hunting. Give archery a try. It will allow you much more time in the woods and I promise you there is nothing like harvesting an animal with a bow.

Also if you plan to hunt from a tree stand buy a saftey harness.

I have no doubt that you will become obsessed with hunting if you try it. May I suggest that if you try it and it is something you enjoy, do not limit yourself to just rifle hunting. Give archery a try. It will allow you much more time in the woods and I promise you there is nothing like harvesting an animal with a bow.

Also if you plan to hunt from a tree stand buy a saftey harness.

Everyone should take notice on the SAFETY HARNESS::::: A 25 ft. fall a few years ago changed my life competely. I had hunted many years and spent many hours in a tree stand without any accidents and it all changed in a matter of seconds. Please wear a Safety Belt at all times: and always tell someone where you will be hunting and when to expect you back home.