Deer Hunting?!?!

NEWCATH84

For accuracy and durability. Try the Ruger model 77 in .270 caliber. Mine was a black synthetic stock and stainless barrel. Excellent all weather gun that you don't have to worry about the wood stock swelling and changing your shot and no rust. Killed several deer with that one and the range is excellent.

As Watusi said the Remington Model 700's are an excellent choice. .270 is a wonderful choice around here. It is basically a 30.06 case necked down to take a .27 caliber bullet. Not quite the knock down power of the .06 but they are a flatter shooting caliber in case you have to take some longer shots.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For accuracy and durability. Try the Ruger model 77 in .270 caliber. Mine was a black synthetic stock and stainless barrel. Excellent all weather gun that you don't have to worry about the wood stock swelling and changing your shot and no rust. Killed several deer with that one and the range is excellent.

As Watusi said the Remington Model 700's are an excellent choice. .270 is a wonderful choice around here. It is basically a 30.06 case necked down to take a .27 caliber bullet. Not quite the knock down power of the .06 but they are a flatter shooting caliber in case you have to take some longer shots.

I bought a M77, mark I, .270 when I was ten years old and have been hunting deer with it for twenty years. However, I don't like the Mark II models in the M77 near as much because they don't come with a trigger adjustment. Therefore, I went with the Remington 700 when I bought my .338 WM. However, the M77 is a great gun for anyone who is not concerned about adjusting trigger weight.

I bought a M77, mark I, .270 when I was ten years old and have been hunting deer with it for twenty years. However, I don't like the Mark II models in the M77 near as much because they don't come with a trigger adjustment. Therefore, I went with the Remington 700 when I bought my .338 WM. However, the M77 is a great gun for anyone who is not concerned about adjusting trigger weight.

I kind of figured that would be overkill for a new hunter. :D

With the .270, it shoots flat enough to where you can sight it in at an inch or two high at 100yds, and for deer size game you can aim right on target and hit the vitals anywhere from 20yds out to about 200. That way you don't have to be a ballistics expert to get out there and start hunting. :thumb:

Somebody above made a good point about Ohio, you cant use a rifle at all there and you'd have to use a slug shooting shotgun or a muzzle loader.

With the .270, it shoots flat enough to where you can sight it in at an inch or two high at 100yds, and for deer size game you can aim right on target and hit the vitals anywhere from 20yds out to about 200. That way you don't have to be a ballistics expert to get out there and start hunting. :thumb:

That was my main point in purchasing several .270 over the years. I have only found 1 gun that shoots any flatter and that is the .220 swift. Not really a large game gun but man that has to be the flattest shooting gun I ever owned.

That was my main point in purchasing several .270 over the years. I have only found 1 gun that shoots any flatter and that is the .220 swift. Not really a large game gun but man that has to be the flattest shooting gun I ever owned.

.220 swift 4 inch drop at 300 yards

.270 6.5 inch drop at 300 yards

7mm Remington mag is about the same as a .270

30-30 16-18 inch drop at 300 yards.:scared:

The Browning A Bolts a great guns, the Winchester Model 70 is also a great gun, Almost any of the Remington line, Ruger M77 as stated above, the TC Encore line if you are interrest in a break over single shot. As for caliber I would suggest the .270, .280, 30-06, .308, 7MM, and a number of WSM cartridges that have come about recently. A friend of mine just recently bought a Browing A-Bolt in .270 WSM. It is a very good shooting gun. The ballistics on the .270 WSM is very close to a 7MM but without the mule kick. You obviously won't have the knock down at longer ranges but I believe hunters alot of times go with overkill. If a 400grain arrow moving at 250 FPS will take down an elk then a 150 grain bullet moving at 2500fps will surely take down a whitetail. It is about shot placement more then size of cartridge.

Go to this link to view the ballistics of just about any round you can think of.

http://www.federalpremium.com/default.asp?br=1

I would recommend a taser. Knock that deer over and stun it. Then jump out of the tree and use it's antlers to break it's neck. It's never failed me.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I supposed you bear hunt with a knife too.

I had a buddy who used to squirrel hunt with no weapons at all. I asked him how he did it and he said he'd just look up at the squirrel and "ugly" it to death. :D

He said he had to quit taking his wife with him because she tore 'em up too bad. :lol:

I had a buddy who used to squirrel hunt with no weapons at all. I asked him how he did it and he said he'd just look up at the squirrel and "ugly" it to death. :D

If that were true I would be in the Guinness book of World Records for squirrel massacring.:D

Nope I set Bear Traps!!!!! AT least my friends always said so when I was single...... I think it always used to happen at bars........hmmmmmmmmmmm Anyone translate??? hahahaha