Top 5 coaches nationally...

Shrek 79

I don't think (personally) that lightening the class load of a "coach" has an adverse effect on the education of students (or show less prority on education). They would still be expected to work as their "job" of coaching does produce a revenue for these schools as well. Now IF they were talking about lightening the class load of the students then you have a more valid argument about priorities.

I too would like to have a shot at coaching a team that has that much talent and the resources to do the things (and have the things) Hoover does.

Yes they do have alot of talent but look at how many D1 kids came from that team. Only 2 or 3 maybe. I know that the QB might get drafted in baseball so he might not even play college football. It comes back to the amount of coaches, SUPPORT OF THE ADMINSTRATION, and the community support. Those kids were pushed to be their best. These are the reasons why schools like this succeed more than just the great talent.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is by far one of the silliest threads I have encountered on this site. Just exactly how many high schools and high school coaches are there in the US. Several thousand anyway, how do you compare them? It isn't like they have a national playoff to settle things after all the state titlests are crowned. Heck in California they don't even have a state champion. The thing is there's no accurate way to quantify this. Is a coach at a large, traditional power in an urban area that wins state titles really a better coach than a coach who coaches at a small, rural school yet somehow gets his team into the playoffs each year with minimal talent. This one quite frankly cannot be answered.

• 4 weeks later...

Todd Dodge at Southlake Carroll. Just wrapped up 5th straight Texas championship game appearance in 5A (large school bracket), winning 4 of them. Finishes with 98-11 record at school, leaving for head coaching position in college.

Top 20 coaches in state (by winning% all-time):

(150 min games)

x=active

1. John Wilkins, Odessa Permian--------.8882: 148-16-6

2. Ron Schroeder, Austin Westlake-----.8686: 187-27-3

3. D.W. Rutledge, Converse Judson-----.8525: 197-32-5

4. Bob Ledbetter, Southlake Carroll-----.8505: 164-28-2

5. Tom Kimbrough, Plano---------------.8471: 171-28-7

6. George Harris, Gregy-Prtlnd(X)(6-5)--.8271: 155-32-1

7. G.A. Moore, Pilot Point---------------.8264: 412-83-9

8. H.C. "Chesty" Walker, Phillips---------.8195: 196-42-3

9. Gordon Wood, Brownwood------------.8037: 396-91-15

10. Robert Murphy, Crawford (X)(13-1)--.8030: 158-38-2

11. Phil Danaher, Calallen (X)(14-2)-----.7904: 312-82-4

12. Don Gronbach, Agua Dulce (X)(6-4)-.7904: 181-48-0

13. Lucky Gamble, Chilton (X)(13-1)----.7903: 256-67-5

14. Bob Mickler, Jr, Univ City Randolph--.7872: 221-59-2

15. Sam Harrell, Ennis (X)--(11-2)------.7871: 159-43-0

16. Alan Cherry, Bay City (X)(5-6)------.7850: 157-43-1

17. Dan Hooks, W Orange-Strk(x)(12-1)-.7815: 235-65-2

18. Doug Cox, Longview----------------.7722 120-34-4

19. Randy Allen, Highland Park(X)(15-0)-.7712: 233-67-6

20. Paul Tyson, Waco------------------.7695 209-57-16

I am from Alabama and played quarterback for a state powerhouse program. Only private (academies, prep schools, etc.) were allowed to recruit but they competed for a different state championship. On the Hoover topic, Hoover is a unique place. It is nestled on the outskirts of Birmingham Alabama and is a community catered to doctor's and lawyer's kids and of course the kids who are talented enough to make them great. Football in Alabama is very similar to the way basketball is viewed in this state. It is King!

Somebody brought up the issue of teaching? Look at it like this. Schools no matter how big or small are businesses. If you are coaching at Hoover High school and you are bringing millions of dollars from ESPN and very wealthy boosters and ultimately it is improving the facilities (both academic and athletic) for your kids. Who cares if you teach social studies. Hello Pete, find the best book worm you can to teach that and you teach the game that you coach so well and continue to make deposits at the bank!

I am from Alabama and played quarterback for a state powerhouse program. Only private (academies, prep schools, etc.) were allowed to recruit but they competed for a different state championship. On the Hoover topic, Hoover is a unique place. It is nestled on the outskirts of Birmingham Alabama and is a community catered to doctor's and lawyer's kids and of course the kids who are talented enough to make them great. Football in Alabama is very similar to the way basketball is viewed in this state. It is King!

Somebody brought up the issue of teaching? Look at it like this. Schools no matter how big or small are businesses. If you are coaching at Hoover High school and you are bringing millions of dollars from ESPN and very wealthy boosters and ultimately it is improving the facilities (both academic and athletic) for your kids. Who cares if you teach social studies. Hello Pete, find the best book worm you can to teach that and you teach the game that you coach so well and continue to make deposits at the bank!

Please explain "millions of dollars from ESPN".

:eek: WOW, that is some record. What years (and how many) does this cover?

He coached at 4 different schools between 1962-2004. Won 8 State championships. Most time was spent at two schools, Pilot Point and Celina. Ironic as they are bitter rivals.

Come on LSU Rock. Surely you have to be more financially savy than that. I have some stock in a company down there who advertises now with Hoover and ESPN souly because of the show. I highly doubt coach Propst just welcomes any and everybody to use his now highly recognized national football powerhouse team as free advertisement. It is not the contract dollars that make that much of a difference. It is the advertising dollars, promotions, now Two a days is available on DVD (should net more than that 21,000 you are talking) i would imagine royalities come out of that. Think big picture. Those facilities you see on tv were not bought with 21,000

Come on LSU Rock. Surely you have to be more financially savy than that. I have some stock in a company down there who advertises now with Hoover and ESPN souly because of the show. I highly doubt coach Propst just welcomes any and everybody to use his now highly recognized national football powerhouse team as free advertisement. It is not the contract dollars that make that much of a difference. It is the advertising dollars, promotions, now Two a days is available on DVD (should net more than that 21,000 you are talking) i would imagine royalities come out of that. Think big picture. Those facilities you see on tv were not bought with 21,000

First of all the show is on MTV not ESPN. The school considered strongly not renewing the contract for this season due to finances and bad publicity. The school gets none of the show's profit. The school also has no rights to DVD sales. When the school tried to redo the contract MTV told them to get lost as there are plenty of schools to choose from. I guess maybe the school sells a few more tickets, cokes and hotdogs but they aren't getting rich. FYI, I've been to Hoover and those facilities were there before the show was ever thought of. There are quite a few articles written on the subject, overall the opinion is pretty much split over if it was worth doing.