Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top 5 coaches nationally...

Featured Replies

A couple of weeks ago I started a post about the best coaches in Kentucky. I'm a little in the dark about coaches nationally. I was just wondering if any coaches from Kentucky are worth mentioning on the list. The only name I can think of is Rus Propst for Hoover (Ala.), and thats just because they have a T.V. show, lol.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure Propst is a good coach but many coaches would love to have his talent.

Many coaches do have that kind of talent and cannot get it done.

At Hoover it is not just about the amount of talent they have. It is the general attitude and support they receive from the community. When a coach and basically snap his figures and get what ever he wants for the program it makes it much easier. That also ensures they are not leaving any talent in halls.

Many coaches do have that kind of talent and cannot get it done.

Nobody in the state of KY does.

The last I heard, Hoover's coach was working with the administration to lighten the class load of his assistant coaches. He thought teaching 5 classes a day was too much to ask of his assistants along with coaching football at the same time. He wanted them teaching only half a day. How many Superintendents in KY would go for that?:lol:

How many Superintendents should go for that situation?

How many Superintendents should go for that situation?

Depends on how successful they want their program to be. Most Superintendents in the state of KY simply don't care or don't support athletics enough.

Education should be the priority of a teacher/school. But it shows you how much importance they put on Football in Alabama, or in this case at Hoover. A lot of head coaches in Ky teach a full load of classes. However in Georgia, Alabama, Florida, and other southern states like Texas, the Head Coach only coaches and does administrative work. These states are football crazy.

I know 3high. I'd love to see KY get as excited about football as these other states.

Depends on how successful they want their program to be. Most Superintendents in the state of KY simply don't care or don't support athletics enough.

 

I dont think just because you care about athletics that you have to do the show.

The decision to do a show like that is based on what a person feels is best for the student athletes. It is a lot of national exposure, which is neat, but shows like this also stir up drama in the player's personal lives. Its not a black and white decision.

I dont think just because you care about athletics that you have to do the show.

The decision to do a show like that is based on what a person feels is best for the student athletes. It is a lot of national exposure, which is neat, but shows like this also stir up drama in the player's personal lives. Its not a black and white decision.

I didn't mention anything about the show. I was talking about Coach's class loads and their support from the administration.

Education should be the priority of a teacher/school. But it shows you how much importance they put on Football in Alabama, or in this case at Hoover. A lot of head coaches in Ky teach a full load of classes. However in Georgia, Alabama, Florida, and other southern states like Texas, the Head Coach only coaches and does administrative work. These states are football crazy.

 

I don't think (personally) that lightening the class load of a "coach" has an adverse effect on the education of students (or show less prority on education). They would still be expected to work as their "job" of coaching does produce a revenue for these schools as well. Now IF they were talking about lightening the class load of the students then you have a more valid argument about priorities.

 

I too would like to have a shot at coaching a team that has that much talent and the resources to do the things (and have the things) Hoover does.

Am I wrong in assuming some states do not require High School football coaches to be teachers?

I know education is the most important. However I see no problem with being able to hire a football or basketball that coaches only.In my opinion it doesnt take away from educating these kids. It may just teach them a lesson to do their best and focus to excel.I believe hire the best teachers the best coaches and if you hire them because they are a great coach and a decent teacher thats wrong for the classroom.On the other hand if you hire based on the fact that they are great teachers and just fill a coaching position thats not fair to the athlete. I say put the kids first and it will all fall in line.Better teams and better schools may come about. Just my opinion....

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.