Would Petrino leave if...

diggerphelps

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rutgers beats WVU and UofL gets shut out of the BCS?

Bama and Miami are open...not bad jobs there.

Miami would require a pay cut.

Bama could match funds, but he's not crazy. He could go 10-2 for 4 years and be fired if he couldn't beat Auburn. Bama has history, but right now they're a reclamation project, at best the 6th best team in the SEC. They lost to Miss. St, and would have taken it on the chin against Kentucky, Georgia or South Carolina if they'd played them.

I do not mean this as a slam or trying to stir the pot, but an honest evaluation.

At UL will he always be considered second fiddle in the state coverage even though he might/does have the best program/team? This year UL was a serious contender for the national championship game but how much coverage was given to that statewide? Was it at best equilivant to an UK team that saw a huge success to their season by simply becoming bowl eligible?

When as a coach you look at going to Alabama that has a history arguably second to none and being the #1 program in the state or staying at a place you can have lots of success but may still be #2 in the state behind a program that is not matching your success, that is a hard pill to swallow.

Even at Miami, he is at a program that is immediately a national program even though they might not be #1 in their state. Not sure who between the 3 would be given that honor.

Honestly, I like UL being good because it gives one more push for UK to improve their football program.

To say that ANY coach wouldn't look at offers given to him by other schools would be nieve...But, IMO, I think Petrino is in Louisville, at least for a few more years, because it has been made public that his family is very happy here in Louisville, and I personally believe that has as much influence on a coaches decision as anything else...Would it surprise me if he left?...Nah, not really. But nothing to worry about, IMO.

I think Bama will make a strong pitch for Coach Petrino. I think he will think about it long and hard. I'd say its better than a 50/50 shot that he leaves to coach the Tide.

I agree. Coaches like challenges and the perception that they're "moving up."

While I've blasted Coach P in the past for his dealings, I'd not blame him one bit for pursuing this position or the Miami position. Of course, he has a lot of leverage and that will help UL. Win-win for ol' Bobby.

I don't know why Petrino would want to go to a program with sky high expectations when he has a long-term contract with very competitive compensation at a school that doesn't expect to go 12-0 or 11-1 every single season. As for whether he feels he is second fiddle to UK's program in-state, why would he care? He is paid very well and his team has pounded Kentucky every year since he's been there. If the average football fans in the state are too dumb to get behind the better program, that's their problem, not Bobby Petrino's.

Miami is obviously the more tempting job, but I'm not expecting him to leave. I thought he would have been gone before now, and he's still at Louisville. I have to believe he likes it there and is satisfied. He's in a great situation...U of L is poised to be a favorite in the Big East on a yearly basis, which means as far as BCS appearances go, he's in about as good a place as he could be. And, if they continue to progress (no reason to think they won't), they'll start to get the respect from around the nation that they're lacking a little right now.

Will his son going to play college football have an impact on his decision to stay or leave Louisville? Some say he will not play D-1 but who knows. I know he will play college ball at some level if it is his wish to do so, would Dad follow?

I believe son would follow Dad, not following son in regards to Nick playing college ball...If BP wants to stay at Louisville, I dont think that necessarily changes where Nick would go...