Dodgers at Reds (5/17 - 5/19)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many times have we been shutout? Has to be the most in the league and with a no hitter.

Can't find team comparables on the offensive side, but the Reds have been shutout 7 times this year.

However 4 of those came in the first 9 games of the season. Since then, just 3...last night, the no-no, and vs. Thor in NY.

During that same time span, the Reds have pitched 5 shutouts, good for a tie for second in the league.

Interesting how much 6 innings changed all the stats, isn't it.

OK. I guess I will go futurecoach on this to make it as clear as I can.

Rich Hill has 4 starts this year. He has allowed 3 runs or less in every start. His first start against Pittsburgh they got 1 earned run off him in 6 innings and he struck out 6. Let's go back to last year. If he were pitching for the Reds last year, he would have been the Reds' #1 starter. His ERA last year was better than any Reds starter's ERA. His WHIP was better than any Reds starter's.

I am trying to make two points:

- Rich Hill is not a dud pitcher even though he throws a 91 MPH fastball. He strikes out a lot of hitters on every team he faces. Making comments insinuating he stinks are easily refuted by anyone who pays attention to baseball stats.

- One game, even four games, are not a valid example of how good or bad a pitcher is. It isn't valid to make broad statements about how good or bad a player is based on one game or, even worse, one at bat or one play. Players can go half a season and look terrible then are completely different the second half of the season. And people go crazy over one game? People lose their mind over the lineup used in one game? Baseball is the long haul. Daily lineups, game by game plays and decisions, all of those have to be added together to paint the whole picture about a player, manager and a team.

Edited by Voice of Reason

I did some looking after hearing Thom slurping the Dodgers offense and how many runs they've score this year. I wanted to do the same thing that I did last night when Sumo brought up the number of shutouts, in looking at how the Reds stacked up if you removed those first 10 days of the season.

Reds have gone 20-17 since then, scoring 165 runs and giving up 123. They've been shutout 3 times, and have pitched 6 shutouts.

Dodgers have gone 22-15 since then, scoring 157 runs and giving up 133. They've been shutout 4 times, and have pitched 5 shutouts.

Yet it's amazing how differently the two teams are viewed.

Sure that 1-8 start may come back to bite the Reds in the butt when it's all said and done. But, if you can't see how this team has been playing the past 6 weeks, then you're always a "glass is half-empty" type of person.

If this team wins at the same percentage rate that they have since April 7th...they'll win 84 games.