High School Today vs. 10 (or more) Years Ago

hoops5

This is an absolutely great feature, but it does not come without a cost. It seems schools have developed such a bad case of tunnel vision (focused on college) that they are blind to everything else. Thank goodness there's still some schools out there that offer vocational school classes, but home-ec, wood shop, metal shop and other courses that used to be taught are all pretty much extinct. It seems to me it's become pretty much a college or nothing type of situation.

As Artificial Intelligence slowly takes over (http://bluegrasspreps.com/technology/40-of-jobs-376833.html) high schools are going to have to scramble to keep up.

It will definitely be interesting to see how high schools evolve in the next couple of decades.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So apparently, Algebra 2 is being removed as a required course for graduation. While 4 math credits will still be required to graduate, once the mandatory Algebra 1 and Geometry courses are completed, students would have room in their schedule for financial literacy. And maybe that would become a mandatory course for graduation.

Financial literacy > all Algebra, IMO.

This is an absolutely great feature, but it does not come without a cost. It seems schools have developed such a bad case of tunnel vision (focused on college) that they are blind to everything else. Thank goodness there's still some schools out there that offer vocational school classes, but home-ec, wood shop, metal shop and other courses that used to be taught are all pretty much extinct. It seems to me it's become pretty much a college or nothing type of situation.

KCTCS has vocational classes available also, that students can take.

We still have shop, business, and home-ec classes. Plus are students can go part of the day to Trade school which offers wood working, electricity, carpentry, and other things as well.

As a teacher I thought I liked block scheduling until we went back to 7 period day. The day goes by so much quicker and I get more covered over the year than I did with block.

As a math teacher, I don’t think I would like block. For most students, max math retention happens when students learn a new concept, practice it, and sleep on it. Block scheduling would require students to learn more math concepts in a day, and I don’t think the math retention would be as strong.

As a math teacher, I don’t think I would like block. For most students, max math retention happens when students learn a new concept, practice it, and sleep on it. Block scheduling would require students to learn more math concepts in a day, and I don’t think the math retention would be as strong.

It honestly wasn't bad from what I remember. I had the same math teacher for Algebra 1&2. Class was 90 minutes. Each class would start with him checking to make sure everyone had completed the previous nights homework. Then, as a class we'd go over the homework (it was usually only 6-10 problems depending on the difficulty). Once that was finished, he would teach the next section in the book and assign the new homework. Maybe it was mostly about the teacher, but I really enjoyed him and his classes, and class never seemed like it was long.

We still have shop, business, and home-ec classes. Plus are students can go part of the day to Trade school which offers wood working, electricity, carpentry, and other things as well.

I consider you to be fortunate then. It seems a lot of the schools that I know have dropped those classes. Which is sad, imo.

As Artificial Intelligence slowly takes over (http://bluegrasspreps.com/technology/40-of-jobs-376833.html) high schools are going to have to scramble to keep up.

It will definitely be interesting to see how high schools evolve in the next couple of decades.

Yes, but I believe that we discussed in the thread about this subject that one of the areas that would be least impacted would be the service trades (electricians, plumbers, etc.) In fact, there are a TON of jobs in those areas right now that are going unfilled.

Yes, but I believe that we discussed in the thread about this subject that one of the areas that would be least impacted would be the service trades (electricians, plumbers, etc.) In fact, there are a TON of jobs in those areas right now that are going unfilled.

Right, meaning schools need adapt to the near future and what they need to do appears to be in contrast to what they have been doing.

I don't think that you will find an employed welder, electrician, or plumber.

High school was grades ten through twelve. Course catalog was about 40 pages long. Graduating class was 649. Didn’t have AP classes. Graduated in 1973. Our school was the vo-tech center for the county (8 or 9 high schools in the county then; more now). Students were bused in for auto repair, etc.

i haven’t been back in a long, long time; so I don’t really know what kind of changes have been made there.