Soriano to the CUBS!

The Scribe

Mark Cuban has said in the past he would be interested in buying the Cubs. Two different groups of investors -- one from Chicago and one from LA -- have shown interest as has the owner of the Chicago minor league hockey franchise who says he could finance the $600 million asking price without outside help.

The $64,000 question is, will the Tribune Co. sell the Cubs separately or as part of the entire corporate package that includes other media holdings.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Cuban has said in the past he would be interested in buying the Cubs. Two different groups of investors -- one from Chicago and one from LA -- have shown interest as has the owner of the Chicago minor league hockey franchise who says he could finance the $600 million asking price without outside help.

The $64,000 question is, will the Tribune Co. sell the Cubs separately or as part of the entire corporate package that includes other media holdings.

Gannett is one of those that are considered leaders among the bidders for the Tribune Co., and I am fairly sure that they would not be interested in hanging on to the Cubbies. Mark Cuban would make perfect sense.

If they find someone, to protect Soriano in the lineup and with that elevated/upper-cut swing....they better put up higher nets, to protect Waveland Avenue.

I doubt that will be a problem with Lee and Ramirez........Not too mention Jones Barret. So in otherwords protection will not be an issue. If Soriano leads off, then he will have Mark De Rosa maybe batting second, and if the Cubs land Gary Matthews Jr. then he will be behind Soriano. Then with Lee third, Ramirez fourth, followed by either Jones or Barrett, so protection not an issue here.

I doubt that will be a problem with Lee and Ramirez........Not too mention Jones Barret. So in otherwords protection will not be an issue. If Soriano leads off, then he will have Mark De Rosa maybe batting second, and if the Cubs land Gary Matthews Jr. then he will be behind Soriano. Then with Lee third, Ramirez fourth, followed by either Jones or Barrett, so protection not an issue here.
I think Soriano, may hit 3rd in that lineup and not in the leadoff spot but I may be wrong.

If I'm a MLB pitcher, not much fear in Ramierz to me or Jones.

I think the Cubs aren't even sure in where to bat Soriano. He was a very productive leadoff hitter but he is also a very productive hitter anywhere in the lineup. The Cubs, not having Pierre anymore, may try Soriano at that spot since he is always putting the ball into play. That's just my two cents though!

I think Soriano, may hit 3rd in that lineup and not in the leadoff spot but I may be wrong.

If I'm a MLB pitcher, not much fear in Ramierz to me or Jones.

There is however in Lee, Ramirez, and Jones, and this is how it would look being Soriano bats third.