Surgery Time

UKMustangFan

Figured I'd share as this place has sort of been a kind of extended family to me over the years...

As many on here are probably aware, I've had health issues, specifically heart issues, my entire life. I had open heart surgery at 4 months old (I was born with my heart's chambers in the wrong spots) and another to replace a failing heart valve when I was 6.

I've always known another surgery was coming at some point in the future, as my cadaver valve had outlasted it's life expectancy by over 10 years. Roughly a month ago, it became official that the time had arrived, and last week everything got set in stone.

The first Friday of April, I'll be going under the knife for my third open-heart surgery. This time they'll be putting in a mechanical valve, that God-willing will last forever. It's quite the extensive procedure, expected to last roughly 10 hours, with a week or so hospital stay to follow, and quite a bit of rehab after.

I've known this time was coming, but now that the reality of it is starting to sink in, it's pretty daunting.

Wife and I have had to have some conversations that you don't expect to have at 28 & 32.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Understand the daunting feeling as I only had one open heart procedure 22 years ago. The technology advancements over the time lapses since your last surgery are quantum. Rest assured that our Maker has great things ahead for you and your family and the expertise of your medical team is going to make your rehab challenges little more than a bump in the road to a long, healthy life. Prayers for you and your wife as you seek to find comfort and peace in all your days.

I was flown from Maysville to St. Joe in Lexington with a ventilator and an epi drip to keep me alive; and arrived in time for an emergency triple bypass. With a lactic acid level of 13 upon arrival; I was pretty much supposed to be dead. Modern medicine is an amazing thing. This was in September; and as of Tuesday, I'm a "graduate" of cardiac rehab.

Best of luck!

I was flown from Maysville to St. Joe in Lexington with a ventilator and an epi drip to keep me alive; and arrived in time for an emergency triple bypass. With a lactic acid level of 13 upon arrival; I was pretty much supposed to be dead. Modern medicine is an amazing thing. This was in September; and as of Tuesday, I'm a "graduate" of cardiac rehab.

Best of luck!

Yeah don’t do that again. Thanks in advance.

Best of luck!

And by the way, I give props when props are due. Guess who showed up early on the morning of September 5th - out of the blue - for what was supposed to be a commonplace procedure; then wound up supporting the family while I was maybe gonna make it and maybe not? That's right. Randy Parker.

BGP is a great place.

And by the way, I give props when props are due. Guess who showed up early on the morning of September 5th - out of the blue - for what was supposed to be a commonplace procedure; then wound up supporting the family while I was maybe gonna make it and maybe not? That's right. Randy Parker.

BGP is a great place.

That was a scary day. Man.

I would go visit with UKMF, but I'm afraid I'll jinx him like I did you. :lol2:

Let's take it easy on the accolades for Parker, am I right @Getslow?

Credit where credit is due. I've never encountered anyone who's met Randy that didn't think he was an outstanding human.

Except me, but I'm a jerk. :D

Whole BGP crew is here for you, UKMF. Let us know if you or your wife need anything at all.