O.J. Mayo to USC, what you think?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let me throw this out there. If you were in his shoes, what would you do?

Would you go to college for a year? Would you go to the NBDL? There seems to be a tone of "Why would I want this kid for only a year?" And Pllllllllllllllllleeeeeeaaaaaasssssseeee, I don't want to hear the I'd stay at least 3 years in college before I went to the NBA or I'd get my degree first. That's a bunch of hooey!!! The only reason I went to college and beyond was to make a better living. I didn't do it to expand my knowledge, to become a better, more rounded person (although some of the YAK's and my habits served to make me more round). The bottom line is you go to college generally to enhance your chance to make a better living. In his first shoe deal, he will make more than I will in a lifetime of banner years.

Let me throw this out there. If you were in his shoes, what would you do?

Would you go to college for a year? Would you go to the NBDL? There seems to be a tone of "Why would I want this kid for only a year?" And Pllllllllllllllllleeeeeeaaaaaasssssseeee, I don't want to hear the I'd stay at least 3 years in college before I went to the NBA or I'd get my degree first. That's a bunch of hooey!!! The only reason I went to college and beyond was to make a better living. I didn't do it to expand my knowledge, to become a better, more rounded person (although some of the YAK's and my habits served to make me more round). The bottom line is you go to college generally to enhance your chance to make a better living. In his first shoe deal, he will make more than I will in a lifetime of banner years.

Great points. :thumb:

Mayo will earn more in ten years in the NBA and marketing stuff to kids than he would in 30 years with a PhD. He will be able to afford to get a college degree at any university on this planet when his playing days are behind him.

Why risk the possibility of a career ending injury while playing added years for (virtually) free at the college level?

Good for him, let him take his traveling circus and baggage to the West Coast. Is he a gifted athelete? Of course he is. But there is always some sort of "drama" that surrounds him, maybe it is not him, maybe it is the people that is around him, but there I am sure at times it can be a headache for the program and coach (I am referring to his high school team, not when he gets to college).