Marty Brennaman has announced that 2019 will be his final season calling Reds games

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post-game comments bring me to tears (as expected). I was born in 1977 so I know no other play by play guy for my team.

Had me welling up a bit myself as well. Had I not been at work, it probably would have been a little more than that. I was born in 1981, so I've got a LOT of memories associated with things that took place in my life while Marty & Joe were broadcasting on 700 WLW in the background.

Marty currently airing his grievances right now in the 5th inning about Pete Rose not being in the Hall Of Fame and what he believes to be the MLB turning a blind eye to the rampant us of PEDs during the "steroids era".

I was at school. I would have loved to hear this.

I was at school. I would have loved to hear this.

The conversation came from the Scoreboard Stumper for the game: Seven players, who have been inducted into the National Baseball Hall Of Fame, played for the Reds in the Marty Brennaman Era (1974-2019). Who are they?

Marty asked Cowboy if he could come up with them, and Cowboy started rattling off names, and then paused and this exchange took place:

Brantley: I'm thinking of Pete Rose. ... And I don't care what your opinion is or other people's opinion - I know what our opinion is - but you can't help but think (of the Hall of Fame). I mean as soon as I think of Hall of Famers that played in a Reds uniform, he's one of the first guys that comes into my head. Can't help it.

Marty: I mean, I'm sure there are people out there that are saying, 'Well, it is with great prejudice that they support the inclusion of Pete Rose in the Baseball Hall of Fame. But I've gone from one extreme to the other. When he was banned from the game, I was totally supportive of baseball's decision to do what they did.

Brantley: I was too.

Marty: But as years pass by - and we went through the steroid period - and the great home run race between Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa. And I will believe 'til the day I die that there were people in a position of power in Major League Baseball that knew it was happening...

Brantley: ...and let it go...

Marty: ...turned a blind eye to it.

Brantley: Because it created...fans coming to the ballpark.

Marty: Exactly. What they did was great for the game but there are certain standards that are higher than that if you know something of this is going on. And so I think as time has passed, that Hall of Fame will never be whole until the day comes that Pete Rose is in it. And my biggest fear is that one day, he will be in it, but he will be elected after he is no longer with us. And if that should occur, that will be the grossest injustice of them all.