Marty Brennaman has announced that 2019 will be his final season calling Reds games

My falls and winters were filled with Caywood Ledford and my springs and summers were filled with Marty and Joe. I miss that as much as anything.

Now, I'm getting all nostalgic. STOP IT!!

(Yes, I am talking to myself on a message board.)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the years he was a top-notch broadcaster, maybe he has earned the right to become a little crusty.

I also enjoyed his and Joe's call during the 1970's when our station carried the Reds. The Big Red Machine. Great memories.

I knew he wasn't a tall man, but when my son and I met him this summer, I envisioned a banty rooster strutting around major league broadcast booths. :)

2018_05_09a - Cincy (2) (150x113).jpg

Marty has slipped a little the last couple of years but he certainly earned the right to call his own retirement.

Please oh please Reds, name Dan Hoard the new play by play guy.

I'm assuming he would get paid more to be the Red play by play, since their is a lot more games than he does for Bengals games.

Marty has slipped a little the last couple of years but he certainly earned the right to call his own retirement.

You know, I am just not that big of a fan of Hoard. I did enjoy Flynn when he would fill in and I like Piecoro. The AA broadcaster the Reds brought up for a while wasn't bad either.

Marty and Joe????

How many of you remember Waite Hoyt and Jack Moran, back when the Reds had only one sponsor - Burger Beer, and then later Strohs.

I remember Hoyt and Moran calling games when Joe Nuxhall was pitching in them.

Scary!!!

No! No! No! On Hoard please. His voice kind of annoys me. If they stay inhouse I'd be ok with Jim Day. No Cowboy or Thom Brenneman either please.

Marty is a legend. As the voice of the Reds for 45 years, he will be missed. I guess some of you have soured on him in recent years but just like Joe's last few years had long stretches of dead air and line drives hit to "right left center field", I took Marty's more edgy side with a smile--his call of a game has not declined. It will be different in 2020.

I'm sure the folks at the Reds and WLW that will be involved in the decision will have Dan at the top of the list. Thom and Jim Day have both jumped out early and said it won't be them, so you can put those to bed. I don't get the impression that Thom actually enjoys baseball games, he seems far more passionate and truly engaged during basketball and football broadcasts.

Jim Day is not high on my list, so I'm thrilled that it won't be him. Something about him, corny maybe, really gets under my skin.

Thrilled that Brantley is staying on as Color Analyst, he is really good.

Congrats to Marty on a career that all of us on this site would have killed for. Ride off into that sunset, Famer.

Now I can't trust your opinion on anything ever again... :lol2:

GT, I know I know, I'm probably in a small minority on Hoard. There's just something about his delivery that turns me off. But heck, I didn't think there would be anyone better than Al Michaels when he left, so there's that. I'll keep an open "ear".

Heard this morning Piecoro say he didn't want the job and I don't blame him. I wouldn't want to be the first guy to replace Marty.