• USC with winner of Mich/OSU
    • SEC champ with winner of Mich/OSU
    • one of the two remaining unbeaten teams with winner of M/OSU
    • other

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you let #3 play for #1? That makes no sense at all. The goal of the BCS is to have the best two teams play for the title. I don't think there's any doubt who the two best teams are at this point...

Because whoever wins that game has proven themselves. They shouldn't have to beat their arch-rival in back-to-back games.

That would be like in the early-to-mid '90's when Dallas and San Francisco were clearly the two best teams in the NFL. After Dallas beat them in the NFC Title game, everyone saying, "Well, the Super Bowl should be the two best teams. Let's have a rematch."

I understand it's two different systems, but the principle is the same. I'd rather see a new game...not a rematch of two evenly matched teams in which the loser of the first almost always wins the second.

Because whoever wins that game has proven themselves. They shouldn't have to beat their arch-rival in back-to-back games.

That would be like in the early-to-mid '90's when Dallas and San Francisco were clearly the two best teams in the NFL. After Dallas beat them in the NFC Title game, everyone saying, "Well, the Super Bowl should be the two best teams. Let's have a rematch."

I understand it's two different systems, but the principle is the same. I'd rather see a new game...not a rematch of two evenly matched teams in which the loser of the first almost always wins the second.

Let's look at the facts. If UM wins a close game (the only chance at a rematch) do the human polls put tO$U behind Texas? A USC team that lost to a pack of Beavers? A 1 loss SEC team that didn't fall to the new #1? I have no doubt that they will keep the Buckeyes #2 in the human polls, and thus a rematch...

Let's look at the facts. If UM wins a close game (the only chance at a rematch) do the human polls put tO$U behind Texas? A USC team that lost to a pack of Beavers? A 1 loss SEC team that didn't fall to the new #1? I have no doubt that they will keep the Buckeyes #2 in the human polls, and thus a rematch...

I wasn't arguing against the probability of it happening. I would say the odds are in favor of a rematch.

I'm arguing that it's not the best thing for me as a neutral fan. If Ohio State and Michigan are the #1 and #2 teams in the country and they play on the last week of the season, I don't need to see a rematch. The winner of that game should get to play the next in line, whether that be Florida, Texas, USC, or whoever.

Suppose Michigan wins...then they come back a month and a half later and play terrible. I'm not going to be satisfied that Ohio State deserves the national title, because Michigan beat them on the last week of the season, when both teams weren't rusty and were playing like everything was at stake.

So, I'm not arguing that they aren't the two best teams in the nation. And, I'm not arguing that they won't still be after that game. I just don't want to see them play twice. Once is enough for me. The loser of that game has a big advantage in my opinion...as far as motivation goes, and as far as making necessary adjustments to the things that caused them to lose the first time. And, if they rematch, they're gonna have 6 weeks to prepare for it.

There are some circumstance where I might be in favor of a rematch...like, what if Chad Henne gets a concussion early in the second quarter and Michigan loses by a TD...in that case, I'd probably be all for it.

Under NO circumstances do I want to see a rematch of the last regular season game between ANY two teams. They only exception to this would be if all other teams had 2+ losses (and I'm not sure even then).

After OSU/UM play, we will KNOW that one of them ISN'T the best team. Those two teams are 100% in control of their destiny. Giving the loser a second chance is pretty ridiculous considering there are other deserving 1 loss teams.

We will know how the OSU/UM loser stacks up to the winner, we won't know how USC/Auburn/Arkansas/Florida/Rutgers/Cal stacks up, and they deserve a chance to show us.

If the OSU/UM winner soundly beats another team in the NC game, I have no problem with the OSU/UM loser being ranked 2nd at the end.

I'd LOVE to see the tone change if it were two unbeaten SEC teams playing in the SEC title game... :sssh:

give it up GT. IT would be ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE for UM to play OSU in the title game after one previously beat the other on the last game of the regular season. Think of it like boxing, The world champion beats the #2 ranked boxer in the world, his next title fight will not be against that same fellow, it will be against the next guy in line to fight for the belt! I dont care if they are the two best boxers in the world, or the two best football teams in the world. Someone else deserves a chance....

I'd LOVE to see the tone change if it were two unbeaten SEC teams playing in the SEC title game... :sssh:

I don't know I think the majority of the public would be against a rematch of the last regular season game. I know I would--SEC or not, that conference title game would kind of be like the first round of a playoff, you shouldn't get a 2nd shot.

give it up GT. IT would be ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE for UM to play OSU in the title game after one previously beat the other on the last game of the regular season. Think of it like boxing, The world champion beats the #2 ranked boxer in the world, his next title fight will not be against that same fellow, it will be against the next guy in line to fight for the belt! I dont care if they are the two best boxers in the world, or the two best football teams in the world. Someone else deserves a chance....

I took a glance at Ali's career and found this...

15 Feb -- Leon Spinks, Las Vegas, NV -- L 15

(Lost World Heavyweight Title)

15 Aug -- Leon Spinks, New Orleans, LA -- W 15

(Won World Heavyweight Title)

Those were his only fights that year... ;)

I don't know I think the majority of the public would be against a rematch of the last regular season game. I know I would--SEC or not, that conference title game would kind of be like the first round of a playoff, you shouldn't get a 2nd shot.

Then the goal isn't to always get the two BEST teams in the final...

I took a glance at Ali's career and found this...

15 Feb -- Leon Spinks, Las Vegas, NV -- L 15

(Lost World Heavyweight Title)

15 Aug -- Leon Spinks, New Orleans, LA -- W 15

(Won World Heavyweight Title)

Those were his only fights that year... ;)

Spinks was stripped of his world title by the WBC for refusing to defend his title against their #1 ranked contender (Ken Norton). Spinks instead agreed to fight a return bout against Ali for the WBA crown. The WBC subsequently named Norton its champion, marking the first time a boxer had been awarded the heavyweight title without winning it in the ring. Spinks, hence, would be the last undisputed Heavyweight Champion until the emergence of Mike Tyson.

:sssh:

Spinks was stripped of his world title by the WBC for refusing to defend his title against their #1 ranked contender (Ken Norton). Spinks instead agreed to fight a return bout against Ali for the WBA crown. The WBC subsequently named Norton its champion, marking the first time a boxer had been awarded the heavyweight title without winning it in the ring. Spinks, hence, would be the last undisputed Heavyweight Champion until the emergence of Mike Tyson.

:sssh:

I guess it's a good thing that the AP is out of the BCS... :D

And Ali fought Norton twice in a row in 73 as well (although neither were a title bout)...