Trinity closed Thursday due to Brohm related threat

nkuclubbaseball19

Until you have to make these decisions, it is easy to think like you do. I have had to make these, more than I would like. I guarantee they did not have anyone in custody, therefore, there was no choice. Until they have a person in custody or are sure they won't show to school, they aren't going to school. When every student in that school is your responsibility with the decision, you have no choice but to be 100% sure. No way anyone knows that unless they were there in the decision making process.

It should have never escalated that far to begin with is my point. This didn’t need an investigation or anything besides a, “hey that’s not funny”.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should have never escalated that far to begin with is my point. This didn’t need an investigation or anything besides a, “hey that’s not funny”.

Did you know the person that made the comment? If not, how can you be 100% sure of their intent? Heck, unless it is you yourself, how can you be 100% sure of the intent?

Here in the BGP forum, it’s okay if you are wrong. When your decision affects actual lives, you can’t be wrong.

Until you have to make these decisions, it is easy to think like you do. I have had to make these, more than I would like. I guarantee they did not have anyone in custody, therefore, there was no choice. Until they have a person in custody or are sure they won't show to school, they aren't going to school. When every student in that school is your responsibility with the decision, you have no choice but to be 100% sure. No way anyone knows that unless they were there in the decision making process.

Though I am an educator, I have never had to make those decisions and I appreciate the difficult nature of what you do. Even with snow days, you will have a percentage of folks sure that you are wrong and made a ridiculous decision. I will never understand the “we/you have to go to school today!” mantra, when all not going that day does is mean you go on a different day.

Did you know the person that made the comment? If not, how can you be 100% sure of their intent? Heck, unless it is you yourself, how can you be 100% sure of the intent?

Here in the BGP forum, it’s okay if you are wrong. When your decision affects actual lives, you can’t be wrong.

It’s also ok to agree to disagree. But I just don’t see how anyone looks at that tweet and decides it should have escalated to this. I understand what you’re saying completely. I just don’t think it applies to this scenario.

I understand the mentality of it's better to be safe than sorry... But my issue is we pick and choose when we really want to apply that. Does anybody really think comments like that don't happen every single day by actual high school students that are in school? Kids are dumb and social media makes them more dumb. If you're going to arrest someone for terroristic threatening, you better arrest everyone who makes comments like that.

I understand the mentality of it's better to be safe than sorry... But my issue is we pick and choose when we really want to apply that. Does anybody really think comments like that don't happen every single day by actual high school students that are in school? Kids are dumb and social media makes them more dumb. If you're going to arrest someone for terroristic threatening, you better arrest everyone who makes comments like that.

Every social media threat that "we know about" we investigate. Every one.

Any investigation into the tweets in question would have quickly shown it wasn't a credible threat.

No way you or I know that in this instance, we were not there. We both wouldrobably think and knnow this is going to turn out a joke. But you have to know where that person is. It takes a while to track some people down when they are not in the school.

I get that people think they can tell it is a joke and they almost all are wild goose chases which they usually are. However, when you have to make the call for over a thousand kids and over a hundered adults, your mindset is different. It has to be.

You are in a meeting with the police and you ask do you know who it is, where they are, and have this person in custody or have questioned them? If they say no to any of these you cannot go to school. No way do you bring anyone into school until you can answer those.

As I understand it, this was an evening phone call from the police. The answer to each of your questions was no. That left the administration with no choice. I would also suspect that Dr. Mullin had already established a protocol about what to do in this kind of situation. It is absolutely not the time to make a gut reaction decision. Closing the school was absolutely the right call and for a responsible person the only call. As far as prosecuting the individual, yes they have to be prosecuted. I don't know that they have to go to jail, but stupid has consequences.

So, are we worried about the safety for Jeff Brohm? Because one of those tweets was directed towards him, and said he was going to address him directly. He said, specifically, he was going to address Brohm before he did it. Has he been contacted about any of the possible details of the situation?

Was there a look out for anyone "running down Frankfort" potentially looking dangerous?

As I understand it, this was an evening phone call from the police. The answer to each of your questions was no. That left the administration with no choice. I would also suspect that Dr. Mullin had already established a protocol about what to do in this kind of situation. It is absolutely not the time to make a gut reaction decision. Closing the school was absolutely the right call and for a responsible person the only call. As far as prosecuting the individual, yes they have to be prosecuted. I don't know that they have to go to jail, but stupid has consequences.

Absolutely.

It was painfully clear this was a poor attempt at a joke, and had it been directed at anywhere other than a school, it would be much ado about nothing.

However, and I'm all for not overreacting, when it comes to keeping schools safe, it's ALWAYS the right decision to err on the side of caution. Every single time.

I have no issue with cancelling school or having the police take any threat against a school seriously.

I had a serious problem with the way this prosecution was initially handled. Some stuffed robe down at the courthouse initially tried to hit him with a $25,000 bond before finally ROR'ing the guy. This thing ought to be amended down and everyone will still learn a significant lesson about what happens when you even jokingly talk about threats against a school building.

I have no issue with cancelling school or having the police take any threat against a school seriously.

I had a serious problem with the way this prosecution was initially handled. Some stuffed robe down at the courthouse initially tried to hit him with a $25,000 bond before finally ROR'ing the guy. This thing ought to be amended down and everyone will still learn a significant lesson about what happens when you even jokingly talk about threats against a school building.

I don’t disagree with you, but I take this personally. The guy threatened my immediate and extended family. I know it was intended as a joke, but the charge is terroristic threatening , not terroristic threatening and really meaning it. I am sure they will allow him to plead to a greatly reduced charge with no jail, but he should be worried about it.