Football rule of the week

HT721

I enjoy the rules discussion so figured I may put one up a week so long as people want to discuss them.

This one is fun. Rule 8-4-2

After a field goal, the opponent of the scoring team shall designate which team will kick off.

Anyone ever seen a team get scored on give the ball back to the scoring team? Also, if you coach when have you or your captains ever been asked what you want to do when you opponents kick a field goal?

I haven't, but have heard of it. How about this:

A free kick following a fair catch? This I have seen, and yes, it's exactly what it sounds like. You punt to me, I fair catch it. We line up in a kickoff formation, as do you. I kick the ball through the uprights and get 3 points. Score! Talk about bizarre.

A free kick following a fair catch? This I have seen, and yes, it's exactly what it sounds like. You punt to me, I fair catch it. We line up in a kickoff formation, as do you. I kick the ball through the uprights and get 3 points. Score! Talk about bizarre.

Ya that one always made a tad more sense to me since you scored, late i. A close game or right before the half this call makes sense.

I enjoy the rules discussion so figured I may put one up a week so long as people want to discuss them.

After a field goal, the opponent of the scoring team shall designate which team will kick off.

Anyone ever seen a team get scored on give the ball back to the scoring team? Also, if you coach when have you or your captains ever been asked what you want to do when you opponents kick a field goal?

I’ve never been asked but we have kicked off to to start the game and after halftime.

I’m trying to think when one would ever do this. Maybe under weather conditions or to attempt an onside kick for better field position?

Johnson Central used this rule for their kicker to attempt a State Record kick a few years back if I recall

This is an old school rule, I believe. In the early days of football teams would often punt on first or second down (sometimes not even running a play) if their punter was better than the other and they could pin the opponent deep in their own territory. Then they'd try to turn over the other team or hold them deep on downs to get the ball back. With the proliferation of high powered offenses anymore I can't imagine many teams doing this today.

By the way, the book below is awesome if you are interested in how the game was played in the late 1800s and very early 1900s. It was a completely different world.

61qa-qzpNcL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Yeah, you should do this every week. I'm sure there are some obscure rules that nobody really knows about. Nice post.

This is an old school rule, I believe. In the early days of football teams would often punt on first or second down (sometimes not even running a play) if their punter was better than the other and they could pin the opponent deep in their own territory. Then they'd try to turn over the other team or hold them deep on downs to get the ball back. With the proliferation of high powered offenses anymore I can't imagine many teams doing this today.

By the way, the book below is awesome if you are interested in how the game was played in the late 1800s and very early 1900s. It was a completely different world.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67588[/ATTACH]

Ya most people don’t know it’s called a grid iron because back in the day it had vertical as well as lateral yard lines forming a “grid” to pass you had to move over to the left or right so many yard before you could throw a forward pass.

The rule that has been around forever and lately has been the thing to do is Aiding the Runner. Even though it is legal in college, it is still illegal in HS. The rugby scrum is happening more and more in HS and is against the rules but it never gets called. Because players, coaches and fans see it in college games they automatically assume it’s legal in HS. But there are a lot of college rules that are illegal in HS, most noteabley throwing the ball out of bounds when the QB is out of the tackle box.

The rule that has been around forever and lately has been the thing to do is Aiding the Runner. Even though it is legal in college, it is still illegal in HS. The rugby scrum is happening more and more in HS and is against the rules but it never gets called. Because players, coaches and fans see it in college games they automatically assume it’s legal in HS. But there are a lot of college rules that are illegal in HS, most noteabley throwing the ball out of bounds when the QB is out of the tackle box.

BTW this rule applies to defense too. They can’t legally push a defender. For example a LB can’t walk up. Put his hand on the DL and at the snap of the ball shove him forward.

Now the aiding the runner you’ll never get that call unless the offense grabs the ball carrier and pulls him forward. Shoving or hitting the pile will never get called. Especially since I’m many cases when you hit the pile you are not directly hitting/pushing the ball carrier.

I’m not sure about what time frame you are referring to as lately but I know it’s been the norm for 30+ years.

Or some rules people think they know.

After becoming an official, it's incredible how many people don't know the rules of high school football that they are screaming about from the stands. I mean, I already knew that, but actually knowing the rules better now confirms it.

After becoming an official, it's incredible how many people don't know the rules of high school football that they are screaming about from the stands. I mean, I already knew that, but actually knowing the rules better now confirms it.

I started sitting by myself when I heard this comment at a high school game, “It’s ok, we have timeouts and the two-minute warning......”