Highlands at Covington Catholic (Playoffs) - Predictions

jbwill2

Really? So if CC attempts a 68 yd FG and HHS has no one back and the kick "dies" on the 5 yard line. HHS starts its offense from there??? It just doesn't seem right to me. I would think if CC "downs" the kick that it would come out to the 20. But I've been wrong before!! Does anyone know for sure?

That's why on really long attempts the defensive team puts someone back there to return a potential short kick. The NFL can obviously run it out of the end zone will high school can not.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My understanding is on a missed field goal the ball is placed on the 20.

It depends. If the FG attempt goes into the EZ, you are correct. If not, the ball is placed where it is downed or where it is returned to.

Remember, high school rules are not the same as college and/or pro. This is one of those examples.

Only spotted at the 20 if it goes into the endzone. If it goes short of the endzone it is the same thing as a punt. Which can be returned or downed by the kicking team.

Just think if it was always spotted at the 20 on a missed field goal, that did not go into the endzone, teams would attempt field goals from their end of the field on a regular basis.

cshs81 is correct in what he wrote. Read the below link.....

Read "Why not place kick, instead of punting"

Makes having a guy like Pop, so much more of a weapon in a close game for CovCath.

The weather forecast is not looking good at all for us fans......

Veterans Day: Periods of showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 9am, then showers likely. Temperature falling to around 43 by 5pm. West wind around 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

CovCath Internet Radio will of course be broadcasting the game live from Wooten Stadium at around 12:45 for those not able to attend the game.

To listen to the game, that will be done by Mark Wehry and Jason Elfers just click on the above link....