Cincinnati Reds Offseason

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top to bottom as far as 2018 $. Opening Day position in ()

Votto (1B) - play him

Homer - unload him for a bucket of balls. If no takers, bring him to Spring Training in the bullpen. Don't let him anywhere near the rotation.

Suarez (3B) - play him

Iglesias (Closer) - $5.71M in 2019 & 2020, Arb in 2021 & FA in 2022. He's a bargain. Continue to role him out there as your closer. If team continues to struggle, entertain offers at trade deadline the next 3 yrs.

Barnhart © - ~$3M in 2019, ~$4M in 2020 & $4.2M in 2021. Play him. If you can upgrade the position substantially in a good deal, that's still good value for a backup C. If not, and I wouldn't look for it very hard, I am OK with him playing 4-6 games per week.

Scooter was paid $5.7M in 2018, is Arb in 2019 and FA in 2020. If the mantra is buy low and sell high, you gotta move him after the monster year he had. With Senzel needing to find a place to play, that's just additional fuel on that fire. Get what you can and if he continues to perform in future years, just congratulate him. His Arb $ alone in 2019 will be crushing to forming the rest of the team. If you want to keep him, sign him to a Suarez-type deal in the offseason and commit to him. WORST move would be to do a 1 yr. deal with him for 2019.

Harvey - gone. Somebody will pay more than he's worth. Let's make sure it isn't the Reds.

Hernandez (BP) - (surprised me he was this high as well) owed $2.5M in 2019 and FA in 2020. I'd ask about extending him into 2021 for $4M or so, but I suspect he's looking to repeat his 2018 performance in 2019 and get paid as a FA. Respect that, but gotta at least ask. Don't get silly and pay him long years or stupid $ off 1 good season. He's 33.

Hamilton - if he's willing to sign for $ associated with a late inning defensive replacement / pinch runner, let's sign him and use him that way. My guess he won't and that means you have to move away from him. He was paid $4.6M in 2018, Arb in 2019 and FA in 2020. If I could sign him for 2019-2022 for $15M ($3.75M/yr.) with a $5M club option for 2023, I'd do it. I think he's that valuable in even that limited role. (Kinda like a closer though. If you're not gonna win, you don't really need someone in that role.)

Hughes (BP) - see Hernandez above but $400k cheaper and a 2020 team option at $3M ($250k to let him go)

Lorenzen (BP) - $1.3M in 2018 and Arb through 2021; let him pitch

Disco (SP) - $860k in 2018 and Arb through 2020; let him pitch

Schebler (OF), Peraza (SS), Peralta (BP), Castillo (SP) & Reed (?SP?) - ~$580k in 2018, pre-Arb in 2019 and Arb through 2022; let them play

Garrett (BP) & Winker (OF) - same as above except pre-Arb in 2019 and 2020 and Arb through 2023

Assuming injury rehab goes well and a solid Spring Training for Senzel, let Herrera play some 2B and then bring Senzel up to play there after service time deadline runs. Wanting to be cautious with return from injury & new position should prevent any Kris Bryant type grievance from being successful.

Look for a "reclamation project" value play at CF. If don't find, run Ervin out there and see what he can do. (Don't expect much.)

It would be TOO MUCH to ask for them to sign a couple of front line starters. It would, however, show a commitment to actually try to win. They'll probably sign Colon and argue they are looking for a "fresh face." :lol2:

Top to bottom as far as 2018 $. Opening Day position in ()

Votto (1B) - play him

Homer - unload him for a bucket of balls. If no takers, bring him to Spring Training in the bullpen. Don't let him anywhere near the rotation.

Suarez (3B) - play him

Iglesias (Closer) - $5.71M in 2019 & 2020, Arb in 2021 & FA in 2022. He's a bargain. Continue to role him out there as your closer. If team continues to struggle, entertain offers at trade deadline the next 3 yrs.

Barnhart © - ~$3M in 2019, ~$4M in 2020 & $4.2M in 2021. Play him. If you can upgrade the position substantially in a good deal, that's still good value for a backup C. If not, and I wouldn't look for it very hard, I am OK with him playing 4-6 games per week.

Scooter was paid $5.7M in 2018, is Arb in 2019 and FA in 2020. If the mantra is buy low and sell high, you gotta move him after the monster year he had. With Senzel needing to find a place to play, that's just additional fuel on that fire. Get what you can and if he continues to perform in future years, just congratulate him. His Arb $ alone in 2019 will be crushing to forming the rest of the team. If you want to keep him, sign him to a Suarez-type deal in the offseason and commit to him. WORST move would be to do a 1 yr. deal with him for 2019.

Harvey - gone. Somebody will pay more than he's worth. Let's make sure it isn't the Reds.

Hernandez (BP) - (surprised me he was this high as well) owed $2.5M in 2019 and FA in 2020. I'd ask about extending him into 2021 for $4M or so, but I suspect he's looking to repeat his 2018 performance in 2019 and get paid as a FA. Respect that, but gotta at least ask. Don't get silly and pay him long years or stupid $ off 1 good season. He's 33.

Hamilton - if he's willing to sign for $ associated with a late inning defensive replacement / pinch runner, let's sign him and use him that way. My guess he won't and that means you have to move away from him. He was paid $4.6M in 2018, Arb in 2019 and FA in 2020. If I could sign him for 2019-2022 for $15M ($3.75M/yr.) with a $5M club option for 2023, I'd do it. I think he's that valuable in even that limited role. (Kinda like a closer though. If you're not gonna win, you don't really need someone in that role.)

Hughes (BP) - see Hernandez above but $400k cheaper and a 2020 team option at $3M ($250k to let him go)

Lorenzen (BP) - $1.3M in 2018 and Arb through 2021; let him pitch

Disco (SP) - $860k in 2018 and Arb through 2020; let him pitch

Schebler (OF), Peraza (SS), Peralta (BP), Castillo (SP) & Reed (?SP?) - ~$580k in 2018, pre-Arb in 2019 and Arb through 2022; let them play

Garrett (BP) & Winker (OF) - same as above except pre-Arb in 2019 and 2020 and Arb through 2023

Assuming injury rehab goes well and a solid Spring Training for Senzel, let Herrera play some 2B and then bring Senzel up to play there after service time deadline runs. Wanting to be cautious with return from injury & new position should prevent any Kris Bryant type grievance from being successful.

Look for a "reclamation project" value play at CF. If don't find, run Ervin out there and see what he can do. (Don't expect much.)

It would be TOO MUCH to ask for them to sign a couple of front line starters. It would, however, show a commitment to actually try to win. They'll probably sign Colon and argue they are looking for a "fresh face." :lol2:

Iglesias might not be as cheap as you are counting on. His contract actually allows him to opt for arbitration once he becomes eligible. He's eligible this offseason. If he thinks he's worth more than $5.7 million he will go to arbitration. He's a valuable trade piece and if you aren't going to add the starting pitching to compete next season, I'd move him.

Winker and his .400 OBP can play anywhere. The OF will be fine if they can keep Schebler and Winker both healthy.

The metrics say what he did last season was below replacement value. His defense was that bad. He's a DH on a National League team. You want to make a trade for starting pitching? Start with him and Iglesias.

The metrics say what he did last season was below replacement value. His defense was that bad. He's a DH on a National League team. You want to make a trade for starting pitching? Start with him and Iglesias.

I'd gladly move him, or almost anyone for starting pitching.

I'm an analytics guy, but the defensive metrics are the one aspect of it I don't fully trust. Billy Hamilton is the best defensive outfielder I've ever seen, and in the past the metrics don't support that.

• 1 month later...

For the sake of conversation, Big Bob says the Reds will "get the pitching." What pitchers do you think they're targeting?

I saw one write up stating that they are interested in Patrick Corbin and Dallas Keuchel, but being interested and signing are two different things.

I just hope it's not something like signing Harvey back after reports of kicking the tires on a Corbin type guy, then claiming you tried...

Thoughts?

For the sake of conversation, Big Bob says the Reds will "get the pitching." What pitchers do you think they're targeting?

I saw one write up stating that they are interested in Patrick Corbin and Dallas Keuchel, but being interested and signing are two different things.

I just hope it's not something like signing Harvey back after reports of kicking the tires on a Corbin type guy, then claiming you tried...

Thoughts?

I'd say the latter is more likely. Corbin is reportedly the main target of the Yankees. Since they were under the luxury tax threshold last season I look for them to soar right past it this year. I don't think Cincinnati wins a bidding war for Corbin. Maybe Happ?