• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Virgie Eagles-Blue and White

Dorton Wildcats-Red and White-These two combined to make Shelby Valley

Feds Creek Vikings-Blue and Gold

Elkhorn City Cougars-1963 1a state champs Blue and Gold

Millard Mustangs-Brown and Gold. All these combined to form East Ridge.

Johns Creek Bearcats-Blue and White

Mullins Tigers-Orange and Black These two combined to make Pike County Central.

I cant believe nobody from E-KY has mentioned King Kelley Coleman and the Wayland Wasps.

I cant believe nobody from E-KY has mentioned King Kelley Coleman and the Wayland Wasps.

Probably because it was a football board, but that's still a great nickname. I think I know the answer to this, but did Wayland ever field a football team?

Virgie Eagles-Blue and White

Dorton Wildcats-Red and White-These two combined to make Shelby Valley

Johns Creek Bearcats-Blue and White

Mullins Tigers-Orange and Black These two combined to make Pike County Central.

It looks like by combination of schools, they also combined the old colors at the new schools.

When Washington CO HS consolidated in 1966---Mackville Red Devils, Willisburg WIldcats, Frederickstown Bluejays, Springfield Panthers-- Athletic Director Jimmie Reed (Head football coach at Washington Co; athletic director; and many othe titles) never let those schools and communities be forgotten---he hung banners in the Washington Co HS gym with their school colors, mascot, and years of existence will stay forever!! This was done is 2001!

When Washington CO HS consolidated in 1966---Mackville Red Devils, Willisburg WIldcats, Frederickstown Bluejays, Springfield Panthers-- Athletic Director Jimmie Reed (Head football coach at Washington Co; athletic director; and many othe titles) never let those schools and communities be forgotten---he hung banners in the Washington Co HS gym with their school colors, mascot, and years of existence will stay forever!! This was done is 2001!

To me that's a class act right there. We should never forget our past no matter who we are or where we come from.

When it was Henderson (actually Barrett Manual Training School), they were the Purple Flash. When they became Henderson City in the early 1950s, they simply became the Flash because they changed their colors to Red, White, and Blue.

Union County was formed from the Sturgis Bears and the Morganfield Guerillas...don't know the colors.

Before the Franklin and Simpson County merger: the Franklin Pioneers...Purple and Gold. I'll have to ask my mother about Simpson County...it was in existence only from 1940-41 through 1943-44.

Bowlng Green's Black High Schools were State Street and later replaced by High Street, both called the Mustangs. Can't remember the colors. BGHS's 1995 State Championship in football was not Warren County's first...it was the 1941 Black School State Champion State Street Mustangs! :D

London High School

Tigers

Burgundy (maroon) & gray

School closed in 1970 with the opening of Laurel County High School

Lily High School

Bulldogs

Colors (unsure)

Hazel Green High School

Bullfrogs

Green & White

Bush High School

???

Blue & White

Hazel Green High School

Bullfrogs

Green & White

I knew there was one in the London area that was known as the Bullfrogs but I couldn't remember it.

If I'm not mistaken there was someone in the mountains a few years back that had put together a history of the former schools...it was either that or someone had put together something of the former Black schools.

I know that if Richard "The Big Dipper" Blount were still alive that he could indulge us all with a ton of these schools like it was nothing.