August 31, 20188 yr Not that it matters, but doesn't Uber have a policy against their drivers carrying firearms? Or didn't they at some point? I’m not sure. Also, not sure in this article, but one of the articles I read said Uber suspended him until he was cleared of any charges. So they must not have that policy or they would have fired him I would think.
August 31, 20188 yr I’m not sure. Also, not sure in this article, but one of the articles I read said Uber suspended him until he was cleared of any charges. So they must not have that policy or they would have fired him I would think. I just double checked, they are prohibited by drivers and riders. More soft targets, probably need a new thread to discuss that though.
August 31, 20188 yr I just double checked, they are prohibited by drivers and riders. More soft targets, probably need a new thread to discuss that though. Interesting, from this article it states what you said but they haven’t fired him. Uber driver who shot man is 'classic "stand your ground" case,' sheriff says - CNN Uber, in a statement, said: "We are saddened by this unfortunate incident and will continue to work with police on their investigation." The company's policy prohibits drivers and passengers from carrying firearms while using the Uber app to the extent permitted by local law. Westlake has been suspended from using the app, Uber said. The company said it will evaluate his status after he submits a letter from law enforcement indicating that he is not a suspect or been charged in the shooting, the company said
August 31, 20188 yr Author Another good case to study this law. If I walk up to you and say “I’m going to kill you” but make no attempt to do so is that enough?
August 31, 20188 yr Another good case to study this law. If I walk up to you and say “I’m going to kill you” but make no attempt to do so is that enough? In this case, dude had a phone in his hand extended out pointing it like a pistol while saying he had a pistol and would kill the driver. Guy did what he had to do, open and shut case in my opinion.
August 31, 20188 yr Another good case to study this law. If I walk up to you and say “I’m going to kill you” but make no attempt to do so is that enough? Ideally, you would pull your weapon and tell the person threatening you to stop. If that person continues to come at you in a threatening manner, pulls a weapon or does anything that escalates the threat in the mind of a reasonable person - I think you are justified in shooting.
August 31, 20188 yr Another good case to study this law. If I walk up to you and say “I’m going to kill you” but make no attempt to do so is that enough? A good question in general if that's all that happened. In this case, there was more to it. He was forced to stop by the victim and had an object in his hand (turns out it was a cell phone) telling the Uber driver he had a gun and was going to shoot him. I wonder what happens in this case if there wasn't video, because the passenger was no help with information.
September 2, 20188 yr Another good case to study this law. If I walk up to you and say “I’m going to kill you” but make no attempt to do so is that enough? No.
September 3, 20188 yr Ideally, you would pull your weapon and tell the person threatening you to stop. If that person continues to come at you in a threatening manner, pulls a weapon or does anything that escalates the threat in the mind of a reasonable person - I think you are justified in shooting. You don't pull your weapon as a deterrent unless you want to die. You pull it because it's time to defend yourself. That stop or I'll shoot stuff get's you shot first. It was dark the guy had a phone and was acting like it was a gun, even stated he had one. IMO it justified the Uber drivers actions.... Lose my job or my life... I can always get another job that pays as much as Uber. Not much of a loss there. Personally those you can't carry on the job rules should be unconstitutional. His car, his life, in a dangerous profession. Screw the rules.
September 3, 20188 yr Here's one from Ohio. The guy got upset with a lady over a parking space, blocked her in and got into a verbal confrontation with her. She was scared and called get fiancee. When he got there the 2 men got in a fight. When the fiancee got the best of the guy he decided to pull a gun and shot the fiancee as he tried to run away. Thankfully the guy will live. The shooter then fled the scene before turning himself in and claiming self defense. He was charged anyway. Hopefully he does some serious time. Man gets into fight over parking spot, shoots man, police say
September 4, 20188 yr Here's one from Ohio. The guy got upset with a lady over a parking space, blocked her in and got into a verbal confrontation with her. She was scared and called get fiancee. When he got there the 2 men got in a fight. When the fiancee got the best of the guy he decided to pull a gun and shot the fiancee as he tried to run away. Thankfully the guy will live. The shooter then fled the scene before turning himself in and claiming self defense. He was charged anyway. Hopefully he does some serious time. Man gets into fight over parking spot, shoots man, police say I don't think Ohio has a SYG law.
September 4, 20188 yr You don't pull your weapon as a deterrent unless you want to die. You pull it because it's time to defend yourself. That stop or I'll shoot stuff get's you shot first. It was dark the guy had a phone and was acting like it was a gun, even stated he had one. IMO it justified the Uber drivers actions.... Lose my job or my life... I can always get another job that pays as much as Uber. Not much of a loss there. Personally those you can't carry on the job rules should be unconstitutional. His car, his life, in a dangerous profession. Screw the rules. No chance I would ever pay attention to Uber's rules about not carrying while I was driving.
September 4, 20188 yr No chance I would ever pay attention to Uber's rules about not carrying while I was driving. Agreed, but it is not a constitutionality issue. Places of employment can make their own rules.
September 4, 20188 yr Agreed, but it is not a constitutionality issue. Places of employment can make their own rules. Very true, we had a no guns even in your vehicles on the property policy until a someone went and killed his wife and a co worker at their work and was on foot on the loose. It was the next week and we had a "just keep them in your vehicles policy."
September 5, 20188 yr You don't pull your weapon as a deterrent unless you want to die. You pull it because it's time to defend yourself. That stop or I'll shoot stuff get's you shot first. It was dark the guy had a phone and was acting like it was a gun, even stated he had one. IMO it justified the Uber drivers actions.... Lose my job or my life... I can always get another job that pays as much as Uber. Not much of a loss there. Personally those you can't carry on the job rules should be unconstitutional. His car, his life, in a dangerous profession. Screw the rules. I'm going to disagree with you here. I think a gun can be a detturant...however, IF you pull it you MUST be willing and able to use it if absolutely necessary. If you can't or won't actually use it, then probably shouldn't be carrying it.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.