Another "Stand Your Ground" Case In Florida

ColonelPops

Good. Hopefully he serves serious time.

Totally agree Deuce. What he did cannot be called self defense...no way. It is closer to 2nd degree murder IMO than self defense. Manslaughter is probably easier to get a conviction than murder though...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree Deuce. What he did cannot be called self defense...no way. It is closer to 2nd degree murder IMO than self defense. Manslaughter is probably easier to get a conviction than murder though...

FWIW, George Zimmerman was acquitted of both.

The only difference in the cases is that Zimmerman was following Trayvon. Other than that, they are the same.

I like the stand your ground law in some aspects. You should have the right to defend yourself. If I'm sitting in my car at a stoplight and somebody comes up and tried to yank me out my car or carjacked me with a weapon I should be able to defend myself. I would then be an innocent victim who is defending myself. What should not happen is that I have any culpability in causing the event that I am now having to defend myself against. At that point I am not an innocent victim I was part of the situation to begin with. The loophole in this law seems to give people with bad intentions the ability to go out looking for a situation or causing or escalating a situation that now allows them to use their weapons without liability. That just doesn't seem right. The shooter in this case should have been charged with felony menacing you cannot manace people in society and threaten them if you have a weapons or threaten them with a weapon. That is a crime so now on top of committing a crime he shot somebody while committing the crime, that's why the stand-your-ground law should not apply here.

I like the stand your ground law in some aspects. You should have the right to defend yourself. If I'm sitting in my car at a stoplight and somebody comes up and tried to yank me out my car or carjacked me with a weapon I should be able to defend myself. I would then be an innocent victim who is defending myself. What should not happen is that I have any culpability in causing the event that I am now having to defend myself against. At that point I am not an innocent victim I was part of the situation to begin with. The loophole in this law seems to give people with bad intentions the ability to go out looking for a situation or causing or adding ingredients to a situation that now allows them to use their weapons without liability. That just doesn't seem right.

Agree on all points.

I will say from everyone I have spoken to that has a CCDW, they all agree this guy should be charged. I am having a hard time finding someone defending him. I am sure there are plenty, but I think reasonable people feel he should have been charged for all the reasons above. I am glad there was video of this or he probably doesn't get charged.

I will say from everyone I have spoken to that has a CCDW, they all agree this guy should be charged. I am having a hard time finding someone defending him. I am sure there are plenty, but I think reasonable people feel he should have been charged for all the reasons above. I am glad there was video of this or he probably doesn't get charged.

Yep. I think most reasonable people are on the same page here.

The only difference in the cases is that Zimmerman was following Trayvon. Other than that, they are the same.

Video is the biggest difference. There is evidence as to what happened while Zimmerman was the only one alive to give an ascount.

• 2 weeks later...

And the most recent case in Florida is the reason for “stand your ground”. A man forces Uber driver to stop, gets out of truck and says you know I have a pistol and I am going to shoot you. Uber driver doesn’t give him a chance. It was all caught on the Uber driver’s dash cam. As much as the guy in the original story in this thread needed to be charged, I think this guy did everything right including giving CPR to the victim until EMT arrived.

Uber driver in Florida fatally shoots man who threatened him

And the most recent case in Florida is the reason for “stand your ground”. A man forces Uber driver to stop, gets out of truck and says you know I have a pistol and I am going to shoot you. Uber driver doesn’t give him a chance. It was all caught on the Uber driver’s dash cam. As much as the guy in the original story in this thread needed to be charged, I think this guy did everything right including giving CPR to the victim until EMT arrived.

Uber driver in Florida fatally shoots man who threatened him

Not that it matters, but doesn't Uber have a policy against their drivers carrying firearms? Or didn't they at some point?