BGP Q&A with St. Xavier Football Coach Kevin Wallace

This hire will prove to be a bust. The hire they should have made was coach Todd Walsh. Outsiders never do well coaching at Saint Xavier.

I disagree. From what I’m hearing and seeing around the program, I think he will do a great job.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This hire will prove to be a bust. The hire they should have made was coach Todd Walsh. Outsiders never do well coaching at Saint Xavier.

Our most successful coach of all time was an "outsider," let's not cast stones on this one.

I disagree. From what I’m hearing and seeing around the program, I think he will do a great job.

From what I’ve heard all stakeholders seem very impressed with Coach Wallace too. I think he’ll do a great job...there’s a difference between hiring a career teacher and coach opposed to a person who wanted another hobby.

Looking forward to the Coach Wallace era!

Time will be the only determining factor of how he does but he really is an unbelievable coach. Around these neck of the woods the naysayers would say, "anyone could win with the talent he had." Anyone that knows sports, knows that is not a true statement. You can have the horses but you have to know how to use them. As successful as he was on the field he was probably more successful in the locker room. The kids loved him.

St X is in good hands. Give him some time to adjust to the teams he will face allow him to gauge their schemes and team speed and he will put it together, sooner than later.

Hoping he does great for X nation

I didn't like this answer. Obviously the purpose of the question is speculative in hopes of finding a potentially exciting matchup on the horizon, but to completely shut it off with what reads as a somewhat terse remark without even telling who's on the 2019/2020 schedules was poor form in my opinion.

So you dont like that their schedule is set for 2019 and 2020?

So you dont like that their schedule is set for 2019 and 2020?

Not that at all. I would like to have heard who they have on the schedule in 2019/20. It came across (to me at least) as terse and as some big secret and that didn't seem necessary.

Not that at all. I would like to have heard who they have on the schedule in 2019/20. It came across (to me at least) as terse and as some big secret and that didn't seem necessary.

As a fan, I was hoping for a more elaborate answer to have more things to talk about. But when he was hired he did mention how X needed to be a constant in the national rankings. So I would be interesting to see what happens after the 2020 season.

GC,

I can certainly understand how you would see this as terse and a secret. I honestly feel it was just an answer in a string of questions that he didn't get a chance to go deep into. Alot of times we send text messages or emails and the verbage gets misconstrued by the tone of the way the reader reads it and not the way the sender meant it. I think this is likely what happened. He may have had another meeting to get to or whatever. Hard to say, but I don't think he blew it off or wanted to belittle the issue.

The best thing STX did in hiring Coach Wallace was they went outside the STX family. There was a need to get new blood into the program. Once Coach Wallace puts together his own staff for 2019 there will be a big change in the program. Getting rid of the “dad coaches” who have been coaching their sons from the time they were in grade school will be addition by subtraction. Best of luck to Coach Wallace.

Honest question to the St. X peeps. If St. X doesnt beat Trinity, will any other improvements Coach Wallace makes really matter?

For me...yes it would great if Coach Wallace was able to beat Trinity this season, but it’s more than that. It’s the ability to compete consistently. Can X consistently move the football against T? Can X put together consecutive stops on defense? It’s more than just Coach Wallace, but it can’t be “beat Trinity or it’s failure.” Especially in the first year. Coach Wallace is too smart and experienced not to get wins against Trinity, and obviously it won’t be easy,and it shouldn’t.

I will say this, I feel much more confident as a fan heading into a season for X football than I have in about 5 years.

For me...yes it would great if Coach Wallace was able to beat Trinity this season, but it’s more than that. It’s the ability to compete consistently. Can X consistently move the football against T? Can X put together consecutive stops on defense? It’s more than just Coach Wallace, but it can’t be “beat Trinity or it’s failure.” Especially in the first year. Coach Wallace is too smart and experienced not to get wins against Trinity, and obviously it won’t be easy,and it shouldn’t.

I will say this, I feel much more confident as a fan heading into a season for X football than I have in about 5 years.

On top of all of that Wallace has experience and a history of success as a coach. While Wolford's heart may have been in the right place and he may have been a great player that doesn't translate automatically to coaching ability. I think Wallace is much better prepared for the challenges ahead of him.