BGP Q&A with St. Xavier Football Coach Kevin Wallace

There have been 18 head coaches in the past 100 years of St. X football. Five were alumni--Will Wolford, the Glazers, Leon Dunagan and Bob Schuhman (who was a '28 like my grandpa). Johnny Meihaus had the second longest tenure after Mike Glazer 1981-2012 and the second most state titles. Meihaus was head coach from 1952 to 1968 and won three state titles, and was a very successful track coach as well. However, he is also a member of DuPont Manual's sports hall of fame and with good reason. He was a star football and track athlete for the Crimsons, and the hero of a really memorable Thanksgiving Day win over Male in 1940. He was not an insider when he became St. X's head coach, and he came from a program which had historically dominated St. X. It was another "outsider", Ray Baer who broke the longest losing streak in St. X football history (14) when he beat Manual in 1947. Mike Stewart won a state title in 1979 for the Tigers as well. While the Glazers could make it seem like the head coach of St. X has been an alumni of the program or an assistant by themselves, its really not the case. Coach Wallace is our 13th head coach from outside the program.

Does anyone know why Will Wolford resigned? I am curious as the only thing I have heard is that when he took the job five years was a point he set for himself to decide whether or not he should stay. I have a son playing for the Tigers and Coach Wolford was a success as far as we are concerned. That said we are thrilled about Coach Wallace and can't wait for the season to begin. I really like--among other things--the connection to a legacy from outside of Louisville in the Commonwealth that he brings.

I saw the comments about the schedule. I don't think Coach Wallace was being dismissive of the question. There are only ten games a year and Central, Trinity, Male and Manual are inescapable traditions. Bowling Green and Cincinnati St. X I love having on the schedule. PRP is a good local program and school, and DeSales this year will be a lot of fun and is very definitely on the rise. Playing Fairdale every year seems unfortunate for both programs lately. That said, there is not much room for change. The Tigers have played Indianapolis Cathedral as well as Cincinnati St. X by way of prominent teams from other states. Maybe Coach Wallace could schedule two-three such games a year, but maybe his hands will be tied in that regard.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been 18 head coaches in the past 100 years of St. X football. Five were alumni--Will Wolford, the Glazers, Leon Dunagan and Bob Schuhman (who was a '28 like my grandpa). Johnny Meihaus had the second longest tenure after Mike Glazer 1981-2012 and the second most state titles. Meihaus was head coach from 1952 to 1968 and won three state titles, and was a very successful track coach as well. However, he is also a member of DuPont Manual's sports hall of fame and with good reason. He was a star football and track athlete for the Crimsons, and the hero of a really memorable Thanksgiving Day win over Male in 1940. He was not an insider when he became St. X's head coach, and he came from a program which had historically dominated St. X. It was another "outsider", Ray Baer who broke the longest losing streak in St. X football history (14) when he beat Manual in 1947. Mike Stewart won a state title in 1979 for the Tigers as well. While the Glazers could make it seem like the head coach of St. X has been an alumni of the program or an assistant by themselves, its really not the case. Coach Wallace is our 13th head coach from outside the program.

Does anyone know why Will Wolford resigned? I am curious as the only thing I have heard is that when he took the job five years was a point he set for himself to decide whether or not he should stay. I have a son playing for the Tigers and Coach Wolford was a success as far as we are concerned. That said we are thrilled about Coach Wallace and can't wait for the season to begin. I really like--among other things--the connection to a legacy from outside of Louisville in the Commonwealth that he brings.

I saw the comments about the schedule. I don't think Coach Wallace was being dismissive of the question. There are only ten games a year and Central, Trinity, Male and Manual are inescapable traditions. Bowling Green and Cincinnati St. X I love having on the schedule. PRP is a good local program and school, and DeSales this year will be a lot of fun and is very definitely on the rise. Playing Fairdale every year seems unfortunate for both programs lately. That said, there is not much room for change. The Tigers have played Indianapolis Cathedral as well as Cincinnati St. X by way of prominent teams from other states. Maybe Coach Wallace could schedule two-three such games a year, but maybe his hands will be tied in that regard.

Great post!

• 4 months later...
Looking back, Coach Wallace was an absolutely great hire by the Tigers.

I agree. Can really see it with younger kids. Getting kids that wouldn’t have gotten before he was hired. He is willing to play younger kids if can contribute. Past coaches wouldn’t do that. He also dressed kids based on depth chart so have to earn your spot. I like the culture he is building.

I would say this year was a success for year 1. Injuries hurt, but this team kept battling to put themselves in position to win a state championship.

As mentioned earlier, playing the best player regardless of class is a plus and definitely a way to attract more kids to the football program. The offense is what most Tiger faithful have been waiting for in terms of the passing game, but not totally getting away from the running game either. There’s a good freshman class in place, but the key is to keep building on those classes. But after the first season, I’m excited about next year.